By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GT5P - 100% Mandatory Install

With the amount of games I buy this will really stinks. They must see this as a way around some limitation with the machine. I don't see any other reason why installs would be mandatory... I am glad I am buying cross platform games on 360 only.

I have one 60 Gb machine and 3 x 40 gb machines... I am looking at 80 minutes of installation. Then, after I fill the 40 Gb I will have to start managing it... Talk about stupid...

I want to like my PS3's but I am having a tougher and tougher time doing that. My Wii and 360's (I keep an extra 360 now for RRoD) are ready to play all the time. All my PS3 is being used for is Blu-Ray and the odd exclusive.

Around the Network
jman8 said:
konnichiwa said:
If you uninstall a game you also lose your save file???

Just a question...I mean if you have more than 10 games installed on your HD you can uninstall some right?

Right. Why you absolutely have to have 10 games installed and ready to go at a moment's notice is beyond me. Is it inconvenient that you might have to reinstall a game down the road because you deleted earlier to make space, yeah sure. Is it that terrible of a fate? Not for me at least. I'm in the middle of 3 games max at a time. And I might occasionally throw in another 3 games that I can jus quickly pick-up-and-play like Motorstorm or NHL 2K7. Even if all my games required installs, I still wouldn't have any problems. The mandatory install is only on a few games. Everyone just needs to relax. 

BTW, Really, this GT5P info shouldn't be news at all. Warhawk, which was also a PSN/Blu-ray game required a full install as well.  

Well, your 60GB drive is really only 56GB of real information. On top of that, the OS takes at least 1GB or so. And if you use the PS3 as the multimedia powerhouse it's touted to be, it's not hard to have ~20GB of video and music on the thing as well... Then there are the save files, pathes, DLC, and whatnot, which can easily combine into several additional GB of information. Without checking, I doubt I have even 50GB of information on mine and there's virtually nothing there barring a few demos and videos, which I delete and replace regularly. If I was to add a few videos, music, and DLC for games, I could have that number under 30GB in a heartbeat. I don't do that because most of my purchases are on the 360. Shit, I have one GB of just Rock Band music on that thing.

So, basically, if I want to be able to pop in more than four games at random into my PS3, I should upgrade the HDD or eliminate every other thing I might have stored on the HDD so that I will clear up as much room as possible for 5GB game installations.

I like your reasoning. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

NeoRatt said:
With the amount of games I buy this will really stinks. They must see this as a way around some limitation with the machine. I don't see any other reason why installs would be mandatory... I am glad I am buying cross platform games on 360 only.

Same here. I play a lot of games and to think that someday, I might have to uninstall old games if I want to play a new one is ridiculous.

If I want to play a game on a whim, I want to play it now. Not in 20 minutes, not after some HDD management, but now.

Meh, I really don't like this one bit. In DMC, it doesn't bother me. That's an optional install. Good for those that want it, nonexistant for those that don't. Mandatory installs are a whole different ballgame. 

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about purchasing the 40G Ps3, but will consider 80G. Any word on another price cut yet on the 80G?

I will purchase PS3 when I get tax refund check - 40G doesn't make sense now.

Coca-Cola said:
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about purchasing the 40G Ps3, but will consider 80G. Any word on another price cut yet on the 80G?

I will purchase PS3 when I get tax refund check - 40G doesn't make sense now.

Word on the street has the 80GB discontinued soon. Gamestop and a few others are taking it off their inventory sheets.

It will surely be replaced with a different unit, we should learn more at GDC. 

Around the Network

to be fair, it doesnt look like it will happen to many games released around the same time. some games just require a speed boost because of the really slow blu-ray drive. chances are that if you really need the space, it will always be there. i have owned alot of games that need installs for ps3 (heavenly sword r6:vegas, warhawk, dmc4, virtua fighter 5, and more...that i cant remember) but when i finished with the games that i dont play anymore, i simply deleted the game data. i know it's inconvenient, but it's hardly an issue to spell doom for the hdd of a ps3.

Wtf!?!

Uncharted:

- Best looking console game to date
- No loading whatsoever
- No install!!!

If Naughty Dog can achieve all of that with no installation, why can't anybody else!?!

@rocketpig
what do you think? should I get the 80G or wait for the next SKU?
Any rumors on what the next SKU would be?

The Many Opinions adressing this issue:

1. Sony Haters: "Guess Sony is going to have another problem to pretend that doesn't exist. Sucks to be Sony or someone who owns a PS3.

2. People considering possibly buying a PS3 Someday: "Well that's sort of a pain, Is this the way all PS3 are going to end up like? Am I going to have to buy an external HDD eventually? Ouch!"

3. Sony Lovers: "It's not that big a deal, this is the way gaming should be, zero loading times is so much better than 3 second loading times, its the future of gaming, load times are so last gen. If you're that bothered by space then just buy a PS3 with a bigger HDD, money should be no object if you're a true gamer."

4. PC Gamers: "This is normal in PC Gamming, multiple hard drives are just expected and since Video Game consoles are just poser PCs I don't see what you're all complaining about."

Hey, guess whose opinions here matters? If you said #2, you're correct.

@ GGE )

as if you, who clearly belongs to group #1, really knew what #2 thinks

@ topic )

ofcourse GT5:P has to install to the harddisk, because it's just the disc version of a downloadable game and therefore is coded to run from the HDD