By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GT5P - 100% Mandatory Install

@ssj12

Are you insinuating that the Sony fanatics on these forums have been engaging in a conspiracy to hide the truth from the gaming community at large. I find it interesting that these have suddenly come out of the wood work, but in hindsight it isn't something a console loyalist wants to confess to. Further more it is probably becoming a critical issue only now. More owners are probably exceeding their storage at this point, and its probably frustrating a great many of them.

@loyalists.

Before the loyalists rally to defend their console. Blind defense of this isn't going to help your console in the long run its going to hurt it. Sony needs to know that these mandatory large downloads are not acceptable to their customers. You want to stop this trend now before it becomes a standard indictment of the machine, and it can be stopped now if the PS3 community gets behind it. Six months from now and it will be too late.

These machines are your property now, and you have a say in what will be tolerated on the platform and what will not be tolerated. Your the customer its their job to pucker up and give you what you want, and if thats no more twenty minute installs then thats what they have to deliver. You bought this console in part for its drive. Seems like they have decided to neglect that. Which is worse swapping discs or twenty minute installs. I couldn't imagine a grand total of twenty minutes of disc swapping a year. I couldn't imagine being forced to manage data every month either.

Mark my words if this continues its almost guaranteed that this will become a running gag all year long. Like a certain systems failure from last year, or a certain television smashing phenomena. Before you know it someone is going to give you a reply like this to some pointed question you make.

"Give me twenty minutes to install your question, and I will get back to you with a reply."

Your not going to like it, but your going to completely deserve it. Your going to deserve it because you tolerated it. Your going to deserve it because you passed it off as not being a issue. Your going to deserve it because you couldn't see past blind loyalty to see what was right for your gaming. You know its not a crime to disagree with whats going on with your console.

Don't defend this lost cause, and express yourself if you do not agree with it. Then nobody has any leverage on you personally. They say twenty minute installs, and you say I completely agree I don't like it either. Then they are out of ammunition.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
ssj12 said:
sigh.. Warhawk was a full install to.. you people need to realize this is the age we are in. Just remember to clear out useless data or upgrade your HDD eventually.

No, it's just the age you want to believe we're in but we're not there yet. As consoles take longer to setup and configure and more PC characteristics are added I don't doubt that such an age is a possibility in the future.

I love PC gaming, pure and simple, but there are things it can keep. Post release patching and bug fixing along with installations are among them.

I don't like the idea of upgrading a console, no matter how easy it is to do.

I bought a 60GB PS3 and the idea that I should keep at least 10GBs open at any point in case the next game I buy needs an install is annoying. I also don't feel like upgrading the HDD. That's annoying, too. I may as well go back to PC gaming if that's the kind of stuff I'm going to be dealing with in the new console world.

If HDD tech was cheap enough where Sony put 200GB drives into every PS3, this wouldn't be a big deal. As it stands now, if anyone buys a 20GB PS3 (used or new, if they find one), they may as well write off another $50-100 to upgrade the drive so they can play more than two games without uninstalling and reinstalling software. 

well still no matter how you look at it GT5 and GT5 prologue are two different games so GT5 shouldnt has as big of an install. 

Rocket - they could put in the 320GB drives. People would just complain about the $599 price tag returning. And your statement for the 20GB users holds true forthe 40GB users and anyone who installs linux as it uses 10+GBs. 

Another thing to remember is that the downloadable content isnt limited to 150Mbs for PSN titles making it so that even with 60GBs its quite easy to fill up with all the good games coming out.

IF you wish just by an external HDD instead of downloading. 1 - 1.5 TB should be enough space for everything under the sun.  It only $300 more expensive then the internal 320GB HDD.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

"Give me twenty minutes to install your question, and I will get back to you with a reply."

If that's ever used lol, you have yourself to blame Dodece.. What a classic line xD

Just throwing it out there....

Upgrading a console to play certain games isn't exactly new though. To play Perfect Dark you needed the memory expansion for the N64 IIRC. I think they bundled it with DK64 or some game like that but if you didn't buy that particular game you'd have to go buy the memory expansion before you play PD (or it may not have been PD... too long ago).

azrm2k said:

Upgrading a console to play certain games isn't exactly new though. To play Perfect Dark you needed the memory expansion for the N64 IIRC. I think they bundled it with DK64 or some game like that but if you didn't buy that particular game you'd have to go buy the memory expansion before you play PD (or it may not have been PD... too long ago).
 Yah, that sucked also!

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
ssj12 said:
sigh.. Warhawk was a full install to.. you people need to realize this is the age we are in. Just remember to clear out useless data or upgrade your HDD eventually.

No, it's just the age you want to believe we're in but we're not there yet. As consoles take longer to setup and configure and more PC characteristics are added I don't doubt that such an age is a possibility in the future.

I love PC gaming, pure and simple, but there are things it can keep. Post release patching and bug fixing along with installations are among them.

I bought a 60GB PS3 and the idea that I should keep at least 10GBs open at any point in case the next game I buy needs an install is annoying. I also don't feel like upgrading the HDD. That's annoying, too. I may as well go back to PC gaming if that's the kind of stuff I'm going to be dealing with in the new console world.

If HDD tech was cheap enough where Sony put 200GB drives into every PS3, this wouldn't be a big deal. As it stands now, if anyone buys a 20GB PS3 (used or new, if they find one), they may as well write off another $50-100 to upgrade the drive so they can play more than two games without uninstalling and reinstalling software.

The best part of console gaming for many is arguably the low entry cost.  Forced upgrades to just keep playing negate that advantage as well.

well then I guess nintendo, microsoft, and sony needs to shut down all their download services due to storage contrants.  They were such horrid ideas anyways. Who would want to download a classic game or a brand new small fun game anyways. Its beyond me. /sarcasm

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Chrizum said:
azrm2k said:

Yah, that sucked also!

ya it was an addition patch of ram. At least now you dont have to upgrade the amount of ram your consoles need. Just storage if you are the type of people to download trailers, games, etc. If not you should be fine. 

ssj12 said:

well then I guess nintendo, microsoft, and sony needs to shut down all their download services due to storage contrants. They were such horrid ideas anyways. Who would want to download a classic game or a brand new small fun game anyways. Its beyond me. /sarcasm

Actually the difference ssj is that we're talking about retail discs not those you download.  If the same game can be played without an install (such as DMC on the 360) forcing an install on the PS3 for further multiplatform titles is going to get very frustrating.

what are you even trying to defend, ssj? 20 minutes installation on consoles is indefensible.

the Wii is an epidemic.

ssj12 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
ssj12 said:

The best part of console gaming for many is arguably the low entry cost. Forced upgrades to just keep playing negate that advantage as well.

well then I guess nintendo, microsoft, and sony needs to shut down all their download services due to storage contrants. They were such horrid ideas anyways. Who would want to download a classic game or a brand new small fun game anyways. Its beyond me. /sarcasm

Either you're not intelligent enough to understand what I wrote (the part you bolded) or you didn't read it; either way what I said and what you just said are unrelated.