By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NeoGAF: Wii U GPU 160 ALUs, 8 TMUs and 8 ROPs

So, wii U is weaker than ps360?
just have more ram and spend less energy?

But we already see that zelda tech demo in 2011, and that of the bird, the river, the fish. To me that show way better visuals than anything seen in ps360.

Around the Network

Everything on this system was built in a custom manner. Debating based off of traditional techniques is beyond a waste of time. It's undeniable the Wii U has graphic capabilities beyond that of the PS360, however it requires a skillset different than the one used for current gen developing and developers don't want to have dual projects running at an increased cost on a system with a slowly growing user base.

We've heard entire games running on one core of the CPU
We've heard about the abilities from multiple developers in regards to the DX11 features available

Just deal with it, forget debating the specs and let's get back to enjoying games again, christ.

Just re-subscribing

Daisuke72 said:
The Wii U is more efficient than the PS3 and Xbox 360, and has more RAM as well, so of course it'll have better looking games, but honestly, just barely.

In short, Ninjablade was right, the Wii U is on par with current gen, Nintendo fans seriously owe him an apology.

uh, you and I both know damn well that there is no such thing as "on par" with these things. "on par" means "equal" in every sense of the term. When used correctly, PS3 is more powerful than the 360 so they are not on par to start with. He even admitted to me that he was wrong with that term in another thread. The fact is that the Wii U is more capable than the PS3 and the 360, there is no "on par" here.

Oh BTW, totally off topic, the castAR people might hold an event at the AFK Tavern once the Kickstarter is over, they said it's not final yet but if it happens then I'll be able to check it out and compare Oculus to it. ^_^b I'm just telling you here since I can't find the other thread now lol.

fatslob-:O said:

Your own official sources will never hand out secret info to anyone so why bother ?

@Bold I ain't too sure about that LOL. After all people keep saying that the internet is filled with sony fans. 

Conflicting speculation ? You either take it or leave it and BTW some hackers already confirmed what thw WII Us CPU is, I also wonder if he's just speculating too ? /sarcasm

FYI some of those rumors never change and infact would become a fact. 

Your guys at shin'en didn't deny the specs the WII U had, they only confirmed that it wasn't downgraded. A part of the "anonymous" rumors are being furthered by the the truth such as it's low power consumption and performance shown so far. 

Official sources? You're on tilt there son I never claimed to have sources or what anything is so it don't apply to me I didn't even bring up this developer Shi'en, you must be rattled as I didn't mention the CPU and only referred to the GPU which has been subject to speculation for months, so rattled you can't even put your sentence together properly is it hackers or just a hacker not mentioned you can't fathom who said what now that's how much on tilt you are right now.

Low power really doesn't tell us anything sorry to burst your bubble and you trying to peg performance on the few launch year games out is really calling your intentions out, it becomes funny when you bring out the get out of jail card in the "it can do more with less" when in other words it's simply more powerful basically as that's what more powerufl hardware does down the line, call it what ever you want efficient or what that's what the end result is.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

Your own official sources will never hand out secret info to anyone so why bother ?

@Bold I ain't too sure about that LOL. After all people keep saying that the internet is filled with sony fans. 

Conflicting speculation ? You either take it or leave it and BTW some hackers already confirmed what thw WII Us CPU is, I also wonder if he's just speculating too ? /sarcasm

FYI some of those rumors never change and infact would become a fact. 

Your guys at shin'en didn't deny the specs the WII U had, they only confirmed that it wasn't downgraded. A part of the "anonymous" rumors are being furthered by the the truth such as it's low power consumption and performance shown so far. 

Official sources? You're on tilt there son I never claimed to have sources or what anything is so it don't apply to me I didn't even bring up this developer Shi'en, you must be rattled as I didn't mention the CPU and only referred to the GPU which has been subject to speculation for months, so rattled you can't even put your sentence together properly is it hackers or just a hacker not mentioned you can't fathom who said what now that's how much on tilt you are right now.

Low power really doesn't tell us anything sorry to burst your bubble and you trying to peg performance on the few launch year games out is really calling your intentions out, it becomes funny when you bring out the get out of jail card in the "it can do more with less" when in other words it's simply more powerful basically as that's what more powerufl hardware does down the line, call it what ever you want efficient or what that's what the end result is.

Sorry but power draw matters LOL. You won't be getting gtx 580 performance out of an awful 35 watts. Stay in denial as you wish. Gee go and figure out what I mean by "it can do more with less", if you think that's some jail card then don't be trying to refute that when you don't even know what I'm going on about. The one here with the intention is you trying to apply more damage control in this thread.

Sorry but power draw matters LOL. You won't be getting gtx 580 performance out of an awful 35 watts. Stay in denial as you wish. Gee go and figure out what I mean by "it can do more with less", if you think that's some jail card then don't be trying to refute that when you don't even know what I'm going on about. The one here with the intention is you trying to apply more damage control in this thread.

Deny what exactly? Only one who is making claims between us is you, if you read my posts I haven't made mention of any GPU, CPU, any GTX580, claimed the power is x amount and so on, I game on PC for most part and have completed building a high end PC, only telling you that the power usage is not a concrete indicator and you're rattled by this revelation. Look back at all your posts to everyone here and look at the few I've made, you come across as having an intent at this point due to your replies with other people even pulling you on this, I only told you specualtion is not entirely concrete as anyone can do it and even highlighted the was no offence intended but it seemed to put you on tilt.

joora said:
All this talk about technology is actually starting to bother me.

I' sure that implicating that better technology is the main ingredient behind a better looking game is a bit insulting to a game artist. A great game is rarely bound by technology restrains, because those restrains were taken into consideration before development. A great game artist will immerse the player so deeply into the game, that the number of pixels or polygons will stop matter. Console gaming community has indeed become worse than digital photography one... and that is worrying

As a (first and foremost) PC gamer I find all this "pissing contest" quite amusing. And sad. Very sad. Ranking gaming systems primarily by their technical abilities is the worst thing a "gamer" can make. I can easily remember piles of moving squares that were more fun and immersive than many of todays HD "materpeices". Any gamer that dissmises a game solely on whether it's "only" 720p or looks "too childlish" should stop calling himself a gamer. Not to mention that it's very disrespectful to the people that put a good part of their lives into making it.

Put your prejudices aside and open your mind to new experiences. You might be surprised what you find.

I agree with this. I game mainly on PC these days with 3DS as my secondary system, but I don't have the money or patience to build a high-end gaming PC right now. And I don't really care. My $500 ultrabook can run most of the PC games I want to play (Minecraft, Civilization, XCOM, Sims, Batman, Garry's Mod, and more), and I don't see the benefit in upgrading for at least a couple more years.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

NYANKS said:
I feel like Nintendo's at their best when they focus on gameplay and stay away from trying to match Sony and MS on graphical levels. All they have to do is use things like bright cartoony graphics and cel-shading to mask any "deficiencies", and they'll be fine. None of their big franchises are even conducive to realism, except maybe Metroid Prime.

Even in Metroid Prime's case, the series is best when presenting surreal environments to the player. An alien atmosphere is more important than a realistic look. I'd say something similar about Myst, Final Fantasy, and many other notable franchises with a realistic bent.

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

jonathanalis said:
So, wii U is weaker than ps360?
just have more ram and spend less energy?

But we already see that zelda tech demo in 2011, and that of the bird, the river, the fish. To me that show way better visuals than anything seen in ps360.

The general idea behind this theory is that the efficiency of Wii U's design is why its output is superior to PS3/360. And having double the RAM.