By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Your preferred media players?

I'm curious about both media programs (WMP, iTunes, Musicmatch, etc) and MP3 players (iPod, Zune, Zen Vision, etc).

Long story short, I've always preferred Musicmatch Jukebox for music, but ever since I got my Vista machine, I've been plagued by the fact that Yahoo bought Musicmatch out, then made the Yahoo Jukebox that sucks outrageously in comparison. They never made a Vista-compatible version of it.

Now, I've gotten around that issue by setting every Musicmatch executable to run in XP:SP2 compatibility, but I'm still curious about what other people use and what they think is best... and why. I've never cared for iTunes, WinAMP, or WMP, personally.

This isn't just about music, by the by. I want to know about preferred video (.avi, etc) and DVD players as well.

For video, I use either WMP (gets the job done and works fine for me) or VLC Media Player (a program with probably one of the lousiest interfaces out there, but some of the best functions and the most codec compatibilities of any program I've ever found).

For DVD, I usually use DVD Play, but that's mainly only because I don't play DVDs on my computer that often so I just use whatever comes on the system. All my systems have DVD Play on them by default.

As for an MP3 player, I've always disliked iPods. They're too thin for my liking, and much too trendy. Additionally, I find they're overpriced for what they do. As a result, I prefer Creative players, and I currently own three Zen Vision M 30GB players. The Vision M does everything the sixth-gen iPod can, and more, with better software, better layout, better customization, and better feel. Sure, they have fewer accessories, but I'm okay with that, since everything else is superior. Oh, and a new one can be purchased for $120 at the right online store.

Okay, go!

SW-5120-1900-6153

Around the Network

I don't quite understand.... I don't download music, I have CDs, and all of them have been ripped onto my laptop and made into MP3 files, I use Real Player to play them.

I have an MP3 player that was cheap (512mb) but I didn't even buy it myself anyway, it was my dads and he never used it. I think it is a Panasonic.

I have never paid for an MP3 player but I have had 3, I got one as a prize at my 6th form end of year ball thing, it lasted about a year but eventually died (128mb ). The second was one of those bank account freebies from HSBC, it only lasted a month.
and now I have the Panasonic one.

SMplayer and VLC player are good, I also use Creative software that came with my nano. IMO, SMplayer is the same as VLC but with a MUCH better interface.

Off Topic:- Nice new Av-Sig TWRoO

I'll be checking out SMplayer. Their site is down right now (just like ALL Sorceforge sites every other day -_-;), but I'll get to it.

Side note: As for a music player, my newest Zen Vision M came with Creative MediaSource, a different player prog, so I'll be checking that out. It's in the process of importing my music lib.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I've always been a die-hard fan of Winamp, but that all stemmed from attempting to use Windows Media on an old as F*ck Windows ME pc -_-;;; the memory usage for Winamp has always been fairly low, and ever since it's Media Library came to existence it's always been the best for me.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

I use WMP for my videos and mp3s, and to stream to my 360, winamp to put mp3s on my ipod(I hate itunes) and VLC to play some of the more obscure video formats floating around the net.
My fav mp3 players are zens. I don't like my ipod, but as it was free from a supplier at work it was cheaper than buying a replacement for my broken netMD.

Quicktime,VLC,WMP,Winamp,Realplayer.

That's about it.

Good to see this site is still going 

I use Winamp for my audio 100% of the time. For video I try to have it run on Windows Media Player or Winamp, but VLC will run anything without flaw so I use that when I have troubles with other programs.

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

thetonestarr said:
I'll be checking out SMplayer. Their site is down right now (just like ALL Sorceforge sites every other day -_-;), but I'll get to it.

Side note: As for a music player, my newest Zen Vision M came with Creative MediaSource, a different player prog, so I'll be checking that out. It's in the process of importing my music lib.

Ah Creative MediaSource, that's the Creative software I was talking about, it's a very good program IMO. With that and SMplayer you can't really go wrong in my eyes.

Real Player?? GAHHH brainmelt.

I typically use WMP cause I'm lazy and typically just click "Play All" on the music folder of my choice. I don't listen to music enough to care about organization.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )