By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the one thing that really bums me out about the ps3

^of course! it adds up quickly

Around the Network
tastyshovelware said:
SlorgNet said:

Second: $300 in 2000 dollars is the equivalent of $389 in 2008 dollars, adjusted for inflation. So the launch PS3 was a bit higher than its predecessor, but not a huge leap beyond affordability.

Unless you're a few years out of college or got yourself a steady income, the difference between $389 and $600 is no small gap.... Especially when you throw in $60 games, $40 controllers and $30 blu ray movies.

I do get what you're trying to say though.

I agree, thats a lot of money, even if you are making 20$ an hour thats still like a weeks worth of pay, and it would take me an entire month to be able to afford a Ps3 at launce, assmuming i didnt pay for gas, car insurance, food, repair bills ect.

iclim4 said:
madskillz said:

Dude, I've bought Sony stuff since the PS1 (I got it at launch - spent over $500) and recently had 2 PS3s - and I see both MS and Sony for who they are. Both are in it to win it, but Sony has PROVEN they don't listen. You don't believe me? Look at this ...

Jack Tretton, Sony Computer Entertainment America president and CEO, has always been good for some mind-blowing quotes begging to be written down by any journalist within earshot. However, nothing, and we mean nothing, can compare to the latest one in EGM's March issue: "If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1200 bucks for it."

I still have this issue - I was ROTFL and looking for an address to collect my $1,200. I was already shafted by not getting my 40 acres and a mule, and I wasn't gonna get shafted on this deal. My local Wal-Mart had 5-6 on the shelf just 3 weeks after launch.

There's a huge - HUGE disconnect between Sony and gamers. Why should they listen to you? You will buy their crap regardless. They know some folks are so clueless that even after reading a statement like this - "We have built up a certain brand equity over time since the launch of PlayStation in 1995 and PS2 in 2000 that the first five million are going to buy it, whatever it is, even it didn't have games," Reeves told Computer and Video Games in an interview - and that happened, but not as fast as they woulda liked. I saw the quote and just laughed. They are so high in that ivory tower, they need to be humbled.

It's not that I have beef with the PS3 - it's a good machine - not great, but good - but I have a prob with Sony and their arrogance and disconnect from gamers. I just can't believe how many have fell for the PS3 trap. A show of hands - How many of you bought a PS3 for a game that was currently out or for a game in the future? You'll be shocked how many folks got duped. I bought it to expand my game review coverage. I wanted full BC and got it. If I were a gamer and nothing else, I would have waited for it to drop to $250 and really closer to $199.

My my, calm down.

I just said the "are you bitter?" line because you sounded like you were about to bite his head off, plus it was a joke.

"I have been fed up with Sony for a while, but it matters little to the cute girl at the counter at Starbucks. Take those rants, $3.50 to Starbucks and get some java. Yes, no one cares."

I never accused you of being a sony hater.
I agree they are very arrogant, but i disagree about your claim that they do not listen.
the examples you have shown proves nothing about your "they do not listen" claim, all youve shown is that they are very arrogant. The closest example you've provided is the BC argument, but sony couldnt help the BC situation, they had to cut it as a desperate attempt to reduce price. If you read the 40gb box though, there is a line there that BC might return through an update later on, which is good evidence that Sony taking out BC hardware was a premature move.

things I've listed to prove sony listens to their customers to some extent.

"IMO Sony does listen to their customers.
Lots of psp added features are asked by the customers.
themes, wallpapers, skype, playing music while browsing pictures,
playstation store and a bunch of others.

how about the ps3?
The boomerang, Divx, themes, wallpapers, rumble, soon to be in-game-xmb"

I didnt buy my ps3 because of potential, I bought it to take advantage of my HDTV, plus my 60gb only costed me around $200 because of the discount that came with the HDTV. Plus the games werent that bad.
GH3 and Rockband was and is still enough to tide me over for a long while, Not to mention COD4 and UT3.

All I am saying is - if they were listening to the average joe on the street, that cat would have never made that $1,200 statement. That's a disconnect. And the PSP? It was the easiest path for the user interface. Why waste money on another interface when you have it made?

You can sit there and believe Sony - cool. I am not mad or concerned - and really don't care if you are blinded or not. But for me and quite a few gamers, we know the truth.

Well, if you stopped reading, you probably missed the point of the article and what so many others are agreeing with.

My big deal is no BC on the newer ones, and the fact that they keep coming out with bigger harddrive skews. I would want to get the best one regardless and don't want to buy just to be trumped by one with more features and bigger harddrive next year. I don't have $500 to throw out the window every year.

Around the Network
madskillz said:  

All I am saying is - if they were listening to the average joe on the street, that cat would have never made that $1,200 statement. That's a disconnect. And the PSP? It was the easiest path for the user interface. Why waste money on another interface when you have it made?

You can sit there and believe Sony - cool. I am not mad or concerned - and really don't care if you are blinded or not. But for me and quite a few gamers, we know the truth.

the truth? right.... arent we  Mr.high and mighty.
If you have proof for this "truth" of yours, then show it.

you claim sony doesnt listen to their customers, then you give this example.

" if they were listening to the average joe on the street, that cat would have never made that $1,200 statement. That's a disconnect. "

which is just an example of arrogance and overconfidence

just think about it.
If sony didnt listen to their customers complaining about how ugly the boomerang controller looks, we should have gotten the boomerang instead of the SIXAXIS.

If sony didnt listen to their customers complaining about the lack of rumble, we should never be getting the Dualshock 3 then.

If sony didnt listen to their customers complaining about not having in game XMB, they wouldnt have announced that they were making it.

thats far from your claim

"Here's your problem right here - Sony has NEVER cared about gamers - they have never listened, especially in this generation."

I dont know what made you feel that way, but I think we have enough evidence here to prove that your claim is false and that Sony listens to gamers to some extent. Now you can sit there and believe Sony doesn't care one bit about their customers  - cool. I am not mad or concerned - and really don't care if you are blinded or not......  yeah right back at you...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

iclim4 said:
madskillz said:

the truth? right.... arent we Mr.high and mighty.
If you have proof for this "truth" of yours, then show it.

" if they were listening to the average joe on the street, that cat would have never made that $1,200 statement. That's a disconnect. "

just think about it.
If sony didnt listen to their customers complaining about how ugly the boomerang controller looks, we should have gotten the boomerang instead of the SIXAXIS.

If sony didnt listen to their customers complaining about the lack of rumble, we should never be getting the Dualshock 3 then.

If sony didnt listen to their customers complaining about not having in game XMB, they wouldnt have announced that they were making it.

"Here's your problem right here - Sony has NEVER cared about gamers - they have never listened, especially in this generation."

I dont know what made you feel that way, but I think we have enough evidence here to prove that your claim is false and that Sony listens to gamers to some extent. Now you can sit there and believe Sony doesn't care one bit about their customers - cool. I am not mad or concerned - and really don't care if you are blinded or not...... yeah right back at you...

+1 for making logical arguments.  But some people decide what they like and don't like and stick to it.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

No backwards compatibility on new PS3 with PS1 and PS2 games. What were Sony thinking, there are some awesome classics that people still love to play. Saving costs I assume.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
No backwards compatibility on new PS3 with PS1 and PS2 games. What were Sony thinking, there are some awesome classics that people still love to play. Saving costs I assume.
There's a new PS3 that ALSO axes PS1 games??

@Madskillz: All iclim4 is saying is that there have been many cases this generation where Sony HAS listened to the fans. Whereas you're saying they NEVER listen (in which you are completely wrong). No one is disputing that Sony never gets arrogant or is some kind of perfect corp from heaven. You are turning a blind eye to the very reasonable points that iclim4 has brought up and then start accusing him of being "blind"? Then you run your mouth about how you know about some kind of "truth" without giving a logical explaination?? cut the crap already, it sounds to me like you're only hearing what you want to hear.

@FinalEvangelion: those people are called fanboys.

iclim4 said:
madskillz said:

the truth? right.... arent we Mr.high and mighty.
If you have proof for this "truth" of yours, then show it.

" if they were listening to the average joe on the street, that cat would have never made that $1,200 statement. That's a disconnect. "

just think about it.
If sony didnt listen to their customers complaining about how ugly the boomerang controller looks, we should have gotten the boomerang instead of the SIXAXIS.

I dont know what made you feel that way, but I think we have enough evidence here to prove that your claim is false and that Sony listens to gamers to some extent. Now you can sit there and believe Sony doesn't care one bit about their customers - cool. I am not mad or concerned - and really don't care if you are blinded or not...... yeah right back at you...

This is true, if they had cared about gamers, they would have gotten rid of the PS1 controller for the PS2 (i find it uncomferatable) and they wouldn't ahve killed platform gaming, seriously, sony is the reason that platform games arent made by 1st party anymore and why all the new ones suck (cept mario but that gets boring after a while)