By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the one thing that really bums me out about the ps3

It's not the price, though I don't think I would ever pay more then $300 for a game console, no matter how much it does.

It's not the fact that it doesn't have as many great games as the 360, cause I know great games are on the way.

It's that sony went from truely caring about all gamers, and having something for everyone, to very suddenly being very tech and hardcore driven.

I know there is some downloadable content on the psn network, but it just seems so secondary. Hardcore games can be great, but for me, a unique, well thought out concept game can be just as good.

Look at the ps1, there were truely unique games that strived for a more outgoing audiance. Crash bandicoot: warped, spyro the dragon, intelligent cube, parappa the rapper, metal slug x, street fighter puzzle, etc. Sure, there were hardcore games, but there were also games that proved that budget isn't everything. Sometimes a unique, well thought out concept works just as well.

On to the ps2, you had games like , the adventures of cookie and cream, jak and daxter, maximo vs the army of zen, katamari damaci, rez, atelier iris, magic pengel, mr mosquito, klonoa 2, gitaroo man, etc. Once again, there were main stream hardcore titles, but there was something a bit more out there to counter them. Honestly, do you ever think you would see a game like gitaroo man as a non downloadable title on the ps3?

Now, I'm not looking to start any fights with ps supporters. In fact, I would love to be informed of games to counter my point. However, with game costs the way they are for the ps3 and 360, I don't feel like much is going to change in the near future.

Around the Network

I love J&D, but I wouldn't consider it a "unique, well thought out concept game." Well, it is well thought out, but not a unique concept game, lol. But don't worry about that series, as Naughty Dog (the devs of J&D and Uncharted) have expressed interest in bringing the series to the ps3.

Also, LittleBigPlanet seems like just the unique, concept game for you, as well as Nobi Nobi Boy, from the creator of Katamari.

My biggest problem is that the black "PS" button screen doesn't show what time it is.

Tastyshovelware: Games take time to develop, a wide variety of games takes even longer. Besides, it looks like there's going to be plenty of variety for PS3 software before the end of 08. One can easily argue, that the PS3 has more balance than 360 and Wii.

The PSN has been a great avenue for games like you are talking about. Have you played flOw, Everyday Shooter, or Loco Roco Correcho? Pixel Junk Monsters is another to add to that list. All of those games are very creative and quirky, definitely one of my favorite kinds of games to play.

The Team Ico games should help remedy what you are talking about. If you like JRPG's, Folklore is a quirky game with a lot of depth to it. I have really enjoyed it so far.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I agree, although particularly for the PS2 those games came over time as the install base grew.

The issue for the PS3 is that Sony seem content to wait and hope it all happens all over again - but this time the Wii and the 360 are strong competition covering both hardcore and casual.

There should be four main 'types' of game equally encouraged on PS3 I believe:

1 - your big budget Uncharted, RFOM, Motorstorm, GT5, COD4, AC, etc. The big guns basically - the blockbusters

2 - your solid 'you know what you're getting games' that can really fill out a library nicely such as DMC4, Burnout Paradise, Warhawk, etc. Here it is vital cost of development is balaned with realistic sales potential

3 - great, inovative games via PSN that are lower cost to develop and focus on fun and innovation. There's really not too much here yet but Flow, Pixel Juice Monsters, HD Superstartdust, etc. come to mind

4 - fun, cheap arcade style games that allow a low entry point for developers via PSN

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

@makingmusic476

True on the j/d point. It isn't the most unique title. I just kinda threw it in cause it was rated E (yet not too kiddy) and a true platformer (no guns). As for Nobi Nobi, I'll have to look that one up.

I guess I will actually counter my point just a little. While spore looks to be a huge budget title (it's been in the works for forever), it looks to offer something a bit different.

bbsin said:

My biggest problem is that the black "PS" button screen doesn't show what time it is.

Tastyshovelware: Games take time to develop, a wide variety of games takes even longer. Besides, it looks like there's going to be plenty of variety for PS3 software before the end of 08. One can easily argue, that the PS3 has more balance than 360 and Wii.

360 maybe, Wii not a chance, Wii currently has the best balance between traditional and non traditional gaming

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

tastyshovelware said:
@makingmusic476

True on the j/d point. It isn't the most unique title. I just kinda threw it in cause it was rated E (yet not too kiddy) and a true platformer (no guns). As for Nobi Nobi, I'll have to look that one up.

I guess I will actually counter my point just a little. While spore looks to be a huge budget title (it's been in the works for forever), it looks to offer something a bit different.

Actually, Spore is not coming to the ps3. It's a PC game with downgraded versions hitting the DS, mobile phones, etc.

makingmusic476 said:
tastyshovelware said:
@makingmusic476

Actually, Spore is not coming to the ps3. It's a PC game with downgraded versions hitting the DS, mobile phones, etc.

They said it will probably hit some consoles, my guess would be PS3/360 depending on how intense the specs are on the computer.  Could be Wii, but I would bet PS3/360.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I think they said it would hit every major console in some form. Maybe I'm wrong. I do know will wright loves the wii.