By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resistance : Fall of Man only used 10% of the PS3's Power

I'm pretty sure this wasn't posted , but yeah.

Original Resistance used just 10% of PS3's power

The potential of the PlayStation 3 continues to be huge, after it was revealed that launch title Resistance: Fall of Man used just 10% of the console's power.

Touted for its incredible visuals, Resistance used only around 10% to 20% of the PS3's SPU. Details were revealed in official documents released by developer Insomniac Games detailing the development process behind Fall of Man.

Unlike certain other companies, Insomniac regularly discuss SPU utilisation, and in the past they have revealed that the process will see major benefits for years to come.

Insomniac's Chief Creative Officer Brian Hastings told Videogamer.com, "The tech and gameplay teams have moved tons of things over to the SPUs that used to run on the PPU. Collision and physics are entirely running on SPUs now, which allows us to put much more on the screen at once than we were able to with Resistance. Moving more and more code to the SPUs is an ongoing process and I think we'll continue to see major benefits from this for several more years."

This news is sure to whet the appetite of gamers already relishing the game's sequel, Resistance 2, which is due to be released in September.

It also bodes well for future games across the board, with many developers yet to tap in to the full power and resources offered by the powerful PS3.

http://www.psu.com/Original-Resistance-used-just-10--of-PS3s-power-News--a2563-p0.php

PSN NAME : CommonCriminal

Now Playing : The Orange Box , Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare

KH3 Bet :

"I, Badonkadonkhr, risk 1 week ban by claiming KH3 will be Sony exclusive, if I am found wrong, I will also start a thread praising those who were right"

Around the Network

One of these again? We went over this before - any time a dev says "we used xx% of x console's power" you know they are just making it up.

epsilon72 said:
One of these again? We went over this before - any time a dev says "we used xx% of x console's power" you know they are just making it up.

I would obviously trust your opinion over theirs and what is written on official documents. You probably have a lot of experiencing developing games, programming, and optimizing for minimal CPU usage.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I wouldn't call the %'s made up. But as I've said before, they're completely meaningless. They don't elude to the possibilities at 100% nor do they show how optimized the code is.

akuma587 said:
epsilon72 said:

I would obviously trust your opinion of theirs and what is written on official documents. You probably have a lot of experiencing developing games, programming, and optimizing for minimal CPU usage.

Perhaps 'made up' is innaccurate - 'meaningless' (as Linkzmax stated) is more like it. How can they difinitively quantify xx% of power being used? They can't, because any such specific number would be arbitrary.

I'm not claiming to know anything about developing games and such....but business people tell these tall tales all the time - it's PR.

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
epsilon72 said:

I would obviously trust your opinion of theirs and what is written on official documents. You probably have a lot of experiencing developing games, programming, and optimizing for minimal CPU usage.

No, they really are just pulling crap out of their ass.

SMG or SSBB would be like 0.2% of the PS3's power.

cool I guess. I'm not knowledgeable about those things but if it means they can use more power in the future to make games look even better or what have you then of course i'm all for it.

epsilon72 said:

QFT

These numbers are absoslutely pointless unless they are supported with more detail. As in 10% of PPE power?  10% of Memory?  10% of the hard drive?  All computer architectures in existance are prone to bottlenecking...no matter how fast your processor is if it is stuck waiting for memory you've maxed out the system.  The PS3 could be using 0.00000000000001% of its processing power and if its bottlenecked anywhere else in the system its still using 100% of its overall power.

Pointless thread.  Let it go.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Going to 100% is actually pretty pointless since there are problems doing that, also believe the numbers are pretty pointless as well since they are really hard to quantify