By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Begin Building first PC

adriane23 said:
All I did was hold the case occasionally to get rid of any static build up. My brother did the same, so you should be fine without a static wrist band. They're cheap though, so buy one if it's convenient for you to get one.

How much did you get your 7850 for? I've been thinking about upgrading my 7770 to a 7850 or 7870, but I may just go with the 7970 next Summer.

yea thats a good idea to touch the case. I paid $200 for the gpu. 7970 i would imagine being quite a beast, I'd do it to if i had the money lol

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA

Around the Network
allblue said:
Bruxel said:

First off i want to give a huge thanks to everyone who reccomended I build my own pc. I got somthing alot better in quality for the same price. I looked up and watched alot of building videos on youtube, will be reading through the mother boards manual to understand it better. Any suggestions how to reduce static shock? I also noticed that my power supply is 50 watts short of the GPU's requirments so i will need to return and upgrade it would hate to damage the gpu.

If I get stuck or have questions I will post them here.

the rig is..

amd fx-6300 cpu
8 gig ddr3
Radeon 7850 HD 2gig ddr5
78lmt-usb3 motherboard
450 watt antec powersupply
300 mbps wi fi
1 terabite of hard drive.
A standard case

for $650

Looking good buddy, I would just recommend at least a 650w PSU, so that you can overclock your cpu, gpu and also won't have to worry about upgrading to a more power hungry gpu in the future as well. Have you got a anti static wrist band? they go for like £5 on amazon. Have you decided on which brand 7850 you'll be getting?  I personally recommend MSI, but sapphire, xfx etc are pretty good as well. Don't go for stock cooler design though otherwise it'll be noisy and hot. 

Let us know how it goes :)

I got the gigabyte radeon 7850. The reviews were decent. Pretty happy with this build, i am so glad! i didnt buy a desktop pre built off the shelf. I was originally going to pay about 799 for somthing half as good but got my ideal pc for 650.. feels good. Build a pc was defintly the way to go. Just have to exchange my powsersupply for a higher watt one, a 650.

Nice! did my first build a few weeks back too, all went smoothly in the end despite me stressing out during the actual building..

So me and the lady built the pc, had to go back 2 times to get all the parts that were due in stock.

the build was a little stressfull and complicated but overall staight forward. The motherboard just barley fit in the tower as it is actually the same size. The amd heat sink fan was intresting it is the lever method and locks well but wont go up and over all the way, i would be forcing it way to much and got a bad feeling that somthing may crack.

what is a crossfire? came with video card.

when we finnally put all the peices together added all the cables in the right spots. whats left was to add the system fan. but... the plug on the system fan it self was melted to the extreme, manufacutors fault.. so i guess i could just bring in the whole tower and see what they say as its all built. or would they make me take it all apart? that be a huge hassle. I sure hope everything works this has been a scarey, intresting procsess

the-pi-guy said:
Bruxel said:
So me and the lady built the pc, had to go back 2 times to get all the parts that were due in stock.

the build was a little stressfull and complicated but overall staight forward. The motherboard just barley fit in the tower as it is actually the same size. The amd heat sink fan was intresting it is the lever method and locks well but wont go up and over all the way, i would be forcing it way to much and got a bad feeling that somthing may crack.

when we finnally put all the peices together added all the cables in the right spots. whats left was to add the system fan. but... the plug on the system fan it self was melted to the extreme, manufacutors fault.. so i guess i could just bring in the whole tower and see what they say as its all built. or would they make me take it all apart? that be a huge hassle. I sure hope everything works this has been a scarey, intresting procsess

You could get another video card of the same type and put them in crossfire.  It's a "multi-gpu solution" by AMD. You shouldn't worry about it, unless you decide to get another video card.  

Better people than me could help you with the other stuff.  

so the case fan is not overally nesscisary if its not used? there is the gpu fans and the heat sink fan as well as the powersupply fan, i am sure it might be pretty cool in there, but I am not sure.

thanks for the input, anyone have another opinion on this?

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

You could get another video card of the same type and put them in crossfire.  It's a "multi-gpu solution" by AMD. You shouldn't worry about it, unless you decide to get another video card.  

Better people than me could help you with the other stuff.  

You don't need a GPU of the exact same type to crossfire, just similar is fine.
If you have a 7850 you could drop in: 7870, R9 270, R9 270X and of course the 7850 and it will work fine.

However, if you go down that path you would need: A New motherboard and a better Power Supply Unit.

Bruxel said:

Crossfire is the act of combining two graphics cards to yield up-to double the rendering performance, it's a cheap way of increasing performance when your PC starts to feel lacking.

As for the fan, I wouldn't worry about it, just go pick up a new fan, screw it in and get going. :)
I use Arctic Cooling fans for cost sensitive PC's due to their price and reliability.

If you wan't something high-quality, you can't really go past Noctua, unless you wan't a fan with stupidly high air pressure, noise be damned, where the Corsair SP120 reigns supreme.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Usually the biggest hurdle to overcome when building your own PC is this:

But building your own system saves bucket loads of money so well done and congrats!

the-pi-guy said:

I did not know that, thanks.  The way I've seen most people recommend a 2nd GPU, it seemed like it had to be the same as the first. 

You used to have to use the exact same GPU's, but that was many many many years ago.
Heck before that you had to buy 2 different types of GPU's, one a master and one a slave to Crossfire. :P

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

is it safe to turn on the computer to just test out if everything is working fine, evan with out a case fan? and will turn off after to see if it runs

Either now or later I'd add another 8GB RAM. Not necessary immediately, but when 8th gen games will start using all the RAM available on consoles, they'll need some more than 8GB RAM to be at their best on PCs too. Yes, those 8GB on consoles include the memory for graphics too, while your PCs has 2GB dedicated memory for it in addition to its 8GB main RAM, not UMA like 8th gen consoles, but consider that during 7th gen too, after little time from launch PC versions started requiring 1GB or more minimum RAM, compared to 512MB UMA on XB360 and 256MB main + 256MB graphics RAM on PS3. This time consoles OS are more bloated, so the gap in HW requirements will be smaller, but twice as much main RAM is quite a safe bet. If you have at least as many free RAM slots as those occupied by 8GB RAM, then you can add it later, probably after Xmas you'll find it cheaper.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!