By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Don't Ask a dev anything - Closed

Nyleveia said:
osed125 said:

Really interesting thread. 

Is no mystery that a lot of people (myself included to some extend) think the days of AAA games are coming to an end, or at the very least, only a few number of publishers will be able to make profit out of these games; some people think we will reach a point where the games will either be AAA or indie, everything in between will be extremely rare. The state of the industry is not in a very good shape, publishers closing doors, not meeting expectations, layoffs, etc. As a developer, what's your take on this situation? Is this doom and gloom really justified or is it just people exaggerating the situation? 

Exaggeration, indies are a stepping stone towards bigger things, games in between end up as digital titles - digital titles is where the creativity will stem from, small studios and indies that go on to bigger and bolder things, the platform of support is in place so in 3-4 years we should see some really incredible titles, from new studios setup by smaller companies and successful indie developers.

eventually, these small studios and indie developers will be the staple AAA creators of a new generation, so seeing people talk shit about them now is pathetic - one day these people, or their kids, will choose their console based on the creations these teams make.

Of course, you can burry your head in the sand and pretend that the current AAA publishers are invincable and will be around forever, that just isnt the case.

Thank you for your answer.

Do these indie developers make enough money to make AAA games? Correct if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any successful indie developer that his second game was much bigger than his first game, at least not enough to be considered a mid level game. Most indie developers that I know off start with a small game and are still making small games. Maybe it isn't because they don't have the money, but they are afraid of taking the risk. 

Is a slow process, I know that, but the Minecrafts of the world are few and far between, and I personally don't see how they will shape the industry from a financial perspective. 

And don't get me wrong, I love indie games, VVVVV and Braid are one of my favorite games this gen, I'm talking strictly from a financial perspective and how they could manage to pull the numbers big publishers are doing right now, and what it takes to make a AAA game successful.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
osed125 said:
Nyleveia said:
osed125 said:

Really interesting thread. 

Is no mystery that a lot of people (myself included to some extend) think the days of AAA games are coming to an end, or at the very least, only a few number of publishers will be able to make profit out of these games; some people think we will reach a point where the games will either be AAA or indie, everything in between will be extremely rare. The state of the industry is not in a very good shape, publishers closing doors, not meeting expectations, layoffs, etc. As a developer, what's your take on this situation? Is this doom and gloom really justified or is it just people exaggerating the situation? 

Exaggeration, indies are a stepping stone towards bigger things, games in between end up as digital titles - digital titles is where the creativity will stem from, small studios and indies that go on to bigger and bolder things, the platform of support is in place so in 3-4 years we should see some really incredible titles, from new studios setup by smaller companies and successful indie developers.

eventually, these small studios and indie developers will be the staple AAA creators of a new generation, so seeing people talk shit about them now is pathetic - one day these people, or their kids, will choose their console based on the creations these teams make.

Of course, you can burry your head in the sand and pretend that the current AAA publishers are invincable and will be around forever, that just isnt the case.

Thank you for your answer.

Do these indie developers make enough money to make AAA games? Correct if I'm wrong, but I don't remember any successful indie developer that his second game was much bigger than his first game, at least not enough to be considered a mid level game. Most indie developers that I know off start with a small game and are still making small games. Maybe it isn't because they don't have the money, but they are afraid of taking the risk. 

Is a slow process, I know that, but the Minecrafts of the world are few and far between, and I personally don't see how they will shape the industry from a financial perspective. 

And don't get me wrong, I love indie games, VVVVV and Braid are one of my favorite games this gen, I'm talking strictly from a financial perspective and how they could manage to pull the numbers big publishers are doing right now, and what it takes to make a AAA game successful.

It doesnt happen overnight, or even a single generation, it will take time, but that creativity does make it through, either from them setting up their own companies and geting funding for their first projects, or through those developers joining other companies, or ex-employees from high profile developers/publishers making start ups and joining the tallents.

However it will become more apparent during this generation, because now more than ever, their work is being showcased as a selling point rather than a side bonus.

Nyleveia said: PC is a very losely optimized platform, hardware updates are essentially band aid fixes for poor code optimization, after working with both systems for an extended period of time, I am more or less sure that if you took a similar spec pc and compared the games now, there would not be a lot in it but compare the same spec pc in 5 years time and it will not be able to match the console in terms of performance and graphics capability, there will of course be better pc hardware then and most pc gamers will probably be running the latest games at 4K, but again, that will always be the case with a modular platform.

Yup, that sickens me. I love PC gaming but the amount of money necessary to keep things at the higher levels didn't nedd to be what it is if devs were to put more effort into optimization. My notebook, as of now, is way better than anything this gen can offer, but upcoming games are already starting to ask for 3Gig VRam Cards. Wouldn't it be wiser to have nicely coded PC games for the majority of people that don't want to compete in the PC master race, so more PC games would be sold? Steam is my hope that it can be so one day (Crysis 3 is usually indicated as an effort in the way I said, although I have yet to test it).  

Nyleveia said:

What she probably wont tell you is that she is a games developer too, though for another company, so we are natural rivals.

Well, that's ONE way to spice up ur marriage ;D

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Great thread!

I have two burning questions:
What do you consider to be the minimum set of roles that needs to be filled to successfully develop an idea into a game?

What tools would you recommend for someone interested in trying to create a game of their own?

Around the Network

@Niveleia you talked about PC vs console, what's your point of view on a brand new generation of console already strugling to bring Battlefield 4 in 1080p. When i first heard about it, i felt like those new console are made for the mass that don't really care about res or Bit per pixels.

Frequency said:
Nyleveia said:

Currently? you may laugh but I am in the process of getting a PHD in cancer genetics.

Side note Nintendo fans, bug Frequency, shes the one working on WiiU games at the moment.

Goddamnit man!

Oh, how rich! How rich ^^

To both of you: I'm pretty sure that WIi U won't see any significant amounts of 3rd party multi-plat games since it's doing quite badly. BUT if a game were developed with next-gen in mind (no PS360 ports; only PSOneU platforms), how much would the Wii U version suffer compared to the PS4/X1 versions? What features would be missing?

DanneSandin said:
Frequency said:
Nyleveia said:

Currently? you may laugh but I am in the process of getting a PHD in cancer genetics.

Side note Nintendo fans, bug Frequency, shes the one working on WiiU games at the moment.

Goddamnit man!

To both of you: I'm pretty sure that WIi U won't see any significant amounts of 3rd party multi-plat games since it's doing quite badly. BUT if a game were developed with next-gen in mind (no PS360 ports; only PSOneU platforms), how much would the Wii U version suffer compared to the PS4/X1 versions? What features would be missing?

The general rules of the first post tell me this is not going to be answered. But I'd be pleased to know too, since I want a Wii U.

farlaff said:
DanneSandin said:
Frequency said:
Nyleveia said:

Goddamnit man!

The general rules of the first post tell me this is not going to be answered. But I'd be pleased to know too, since I want a Wii U.

Yeah, this COULD violate rules 2 and/or 4. But it's not a shitting contest since I'm a Nintendo fan and I think he knows that =)

What is the 8gb flash memory in the One really for?