By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - One more confirmation that even the retailers don't know what is Wii U

Wii U Sales Hurt By Retailer Confusion, Misinformation

Uninformed retail employees may have contributed to the sales problems afflicting Nintendo's (OTC: NTDOY [FREE Stock Trend Analysis]) latest console.

Christine Arrington, the Senior Games Analyst at IHS Electronics & Media (NYSE: IHS), told Benzinga that she realized that Wii U was in trouble when she became an unofficial secret shopper.

"There was nothing that you could put in front of everybody that said, 'This is what the experience is,'" Arrington said of the difficulty that Nintendo has faced in promoting the Wii U GamePad. "I think one of the things that was a real indicator of that was just, anecdotally, if you went into a retailer and you talked to somebody in the games department, they didn't even understand what it was.

"I did the secret shopper kind of thing, and they would say, 'Well, there's no difference between the Wii and Wii U.'"

Arrington was stunned. While Wii U features the "Wii" name, it is not the same as the original Wii. The new console features a number of unique elements, which Nintendo has illustrated on its official website. The most obvious is the inclusion of a tablet-inspired controller that features a 6.2-inch touch screen. No such controller is available for the original Wii.

Related: Nintendo Drops Wii U Price, Unveils 2DS Handheld Game System

Despite these differences, multiple retail employees told her to buy the seven-year-old Wii instead of Wii U because there was no difference between them.

"I'm standing there, looking at them, going, 'Wow!'" Arrington said in disbelief. "I think that right there was an anecdotal piece of evidence [showing] that people didn't get it."

When the original Wii arrived in 2006, Nintendo successfully used Wii Sports to demonstrate why the remote and nunchuk controllers were important. Arrington believes that Nintendo needed a comparable game -- one that explained why the Wii U GamePad was cool and innovative -- for Wii U.

"There should have been a Wii Sports-type game that let everybody get it," she said. "Those huge franchises would have gotten the loyal Nintendo person, but it was Wii Sports that got all the people outside the Nintendo world to look and say, 'This is a really, really neat, fun thing to do.'"

Even if Nintendo had delivered a game on that level, it may have been unable to match Wii's success.

"I think it would have definitely fallen below Wii," said Arrington. "I think there was something really special about the Wii and the way that whole thing happened that they didn't even know was going to happen."

Related: PlayStation 4 Already More Popular Than Xbox One, Reuters Poll Shows

Unlike Wii U, the original Wii was very successful with mainstream consumers. It outsold Microsoft's (NASDAQ: MSFT) Xbox 360 and Sony's (NYSE: SNE) PlayStation 3 by more than 20 million units. Wii was also the first game console to become popular with seniors in nursing homes.

"I don't think there was the possibility that the Wii U was ever going to repeat that," said Arrington. "I'm not sure they expected that [either]."

Additional Wii U sales numbers are expected to be revealed on Wednesday, October 30 when Nintendo releases its second quarter earnings results.

Source: http://www.benzinga.com/analyst-ratings/analyst-color/13/10/3989351/wii-u-sales-hurt-by-retailer-confusion-misinformation##ixzz2hj5fMjIf

Around the Network

Well... if they would stop putting employees that don't keep up with video game news at the games department of the retail store, maybe it would help...

But I do agree though... the wiiU naming scheme was and still is a retarded Idea... If they made it anything like wii 2 or Nintendo Revolution or Nintendo's New Console, this whole naming problem wouldn't have been an issue...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Well... if they would stop putting employees that don't keep up with video game news at the games department of the retail store, maybe it would help...

But I do agree though... the wiiU naming scheme was and still is a retarded Idea... If they made it anything like wii 2 or Nintendo Revolution or Nintendo's New Console, this whole naming problem wouldn't have been an issue...

to be fair,..

A) they probably have a ton of products to sell.  would be hard to keep up-to-date on everything.

B) probably aren't payed enough to "care".

Super Wii would have been the name of my dreams. Hell, even "Revolution" would have been a better name than WiiU.

"Uninformed retail employees" and i stoped reading. If theres no way to verify, theres a big chance that its bogus.

Around the Network

Notice the story never mentions where the analyst found the confusion or when she found it.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV