By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So how many PS2 owners bought Wii?

CrazzyMan said:
Oh, thnx. =)
was going to do same, but just later. =]
Based on Vgchartz members responds:

9) I have/had GC and bought Wii. 10
10) I have/had GC and going to buy Wii. 0
like all nintendo fans already bought... =)
1) I have/had PS2 and bought Wii. 14
15% of all responders, i wouldn`t call that a big number. But still not bad. =]
12) Didn't own PS2 and GC, but bought Wii 9
some new members, like 10%.
2) I have/had PS2+GC and bought Wii. 44
over 50%.
so of 21,5 mln. GC owners, there were like 10-15 mln. which(might) also bought ps2.

Your analysis is friggin funny Dude.  I like how you already want it to be a certain way, and just chose numbers that fit you.  So, you're saying it's like all GC owners have bought a Wii already because of numbers 9 and 10.

Ok, then.

1) I have/had PS2 and bought Wii. 16
5) I have/had PS2 and won`t buy Wii. 4
7) I have/had PS2 and undecided.  1

Whoa.  That means about 76% of PS2 owners already bought a Wii.  Wait! ioi's numbers are way off then.  He must change them.  Because 88 million PS2 owners already bought a Wii!

Not.  It's because you have a terrible sample.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network

I am going to make a very conservative prediction of how many current gamers are going to buy a Wii from your survey, Crazzyman. And I'm going to be VERY conservative. And I'm not going to look at new audience to gaming.

To make it very conservative, we are going to assume that all GC owners (and Xbox owners, but they were not considered on the survey) also owned a PS2. That the 11 GC only owners that answered this survey were the only ones in the world, and therefore negligible. So, we will just say all gamers of last gen, were the PS2 install base of 116 million.

I am going to make preditions of who's buying a Wii by the end of the Gen. So, I'll assume those that are going to buy a Wii will have. So, the bought numbers will be (current owners + future owners). And, again, to be conservative for you, Crazzyman, I'm going to assume the uncertain ones won't have bought a Wii. So the people who won't buy will be (won't buy + uncertain).

Ok, first off. Simply looking at PS2 owners (regardless of owning a GC or not)

From the survey, 67 (85%) will have a Wii, and 12 (15%) will not.
That means that 98.5 million gamers will buy a Wii by the end of the gen. (85% of 116 million PS2 owners)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoa! You say. But that is what your survey says. But, again, I'll be conservative and remove the Nintendo bias this time. I'll now separate the GC and PS2 owners from the PS2 only owners.

Of the GC and PS2 owners (21.5 million since we are assuming all GC owners bought a PS2) 51 (88%) will have a Wii, and 7 (12%) will not. That means 18.9 million will have a Wii.

Of the PS2 only owners (The rest of the 94.5 million of the PS2 install base) 16 (76%) will have a Wii, and 5 (24%) will not. So 71.8 million will have a Wii.

Soooo. According to your survey, figuring the lowest possible number. The amount of Wii's that will be bought by current gamers is 90.7 million. Ignoring any new audience.

Go Big N!

PS: I personally understand your survey sample is a horrible sample, and means none of these numbers mean anything.

if you want to argue Hawk, PM me.
This thread first of all was made to see how many ps2 owners jumped to wii + to see what Wii trend is on VGchartz. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

i had a ps2 and got a wii, don't have a 360 or PS3. However I did also have a gamecube and a DC last gen too.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

i also love it because if you didn't know the history and just looked at this survey you'd think the GC and PS2 were head to head last gen.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
Oh, thnx. =)
was going to do same, but just later. =]
Based on Vgchartz members responds:

9) I have/had GC and bought Wii. 10
10) I have/had GC and going to buy Wii. 0
like all nintendo fans already bought... =)
1) I have/had PS2 and bought Wii. 14
15% of all responders, i wouldn`t call that a big number. But still not bad. =]
12) Didn't own PS2 and GC, but bought Wii 9
some new members, like 10%.
2) I have/had PS2+GC and bought Wii. 44
over 50%.
so of 21,5 mln. GC owners, there were like 10-15 mln. which(might) also bought ps2.

The thing to remember is that being a gaming site, it's going to naturally have gamers that want to play games on multiple systems.  And that want translating into actual buying of multiple systems.  Versus last generation, only one system PS2 was bought by the average public.  

The main claim of these numbers would be, based on 88 have bought or will buy a Wii, 8 will not, and 4 are undecided, that if you are a gamer and have the money, you may buy a PS3 or an X360, but a large majority will also buy a Wii in addition or only.

Torturing the numbers.  Hear them scream.

Yeah. All these numbers mean, are that of VGChartz members that participated in the survey, the percent that owned each system is:

GC Only: 11%
GC and PS2: 59%
PS2 Only: 21%
Neither GC or PS2: 9%

Own Wii: 85%
Don't Currently Own Wii: 15%

Total that owned a GC: 70%
Didn't own a GC: 30%

Total that owned a PS2: 80%
Didn't own a PS2: 20%

Edit:  Those are the numbers before johnsobas 

woot, that means 80% of PS2 owners bought Wii!

I bought a PS2 before I got a wii.
I had an Xbox, GC, and DC

I think that the PS2 was a better deal because cheaper and better.
Gooder games and more of em, and they are cheap.

PS2 LIVE ON!!!

Playing:

1)Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate (DS)

2)Neverwinter Nights: Hoards Of The Underdark

3)I don't know

Yes, I have a PS2+GC and bought Wii.

My Mains in Brawl