By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Future Is 4K and It's the PC Not Next-Gen Leading the Charge

On that avatar picture, i cant tell a difference between 1080p and 4K.

On the dunes screenshot it seems to be a difference in contrast and really zoomed out.

Not saying 4K is bad, but when the consumer can't see a noticeable difference, its a hard sell. Blue ray will tell you that vs the DVD.

Around the Network

I think it was pretty obvious but a good read btw

Click HERE and be happy 

PC's will be the leaders of this generation. Also leaders of the entire world, just like in Matrix.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Nem said:

On the dunes screenshot it seems to be a difference in contrast and really zoomed out.

Not saying 4K is bad, but when the consumer can't see a noticeable difference, its a hard sell. Blue ray well tell you that vs the DVD.

I didn't see a different either but it's only noticable on bigger screens I think.  I mean we've reached human capacity on small screen resolution (aka retina display) however we're not even close on the 50"+ TVs.  Which ironically is what consoles are mostly played on.  PCs I don't think it'll be as noticable and I simply can't be bothered to tweak my setup or adjust settings to get framerates running right or anything.  I like the simplicity and of course over half my library is first party Sony games.  I'll wait till PS5 to get 4K.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Nem said:

Not saying 4K is bad, but when the consumer can't see a noticeable difference, its a hard sell. Blue ray well tell you that vs the DVD.

You need to open the picture in a new tab and zoom in on the image. Move your head closer to the monitor and you'll see a slight difference between 1080p and 4k (at least that's what I did). Ironically exactly the opposite of what the article wants to convey.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515894

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506297

Take a look at those for a better effect.

Around the Network

TBH, I was hoping that future is 2.37:1 based (no matter the res), but that's becoming to look like a really long shot now.

In about 5 years...

I think 4k is great in cinemas, but I am yet to see the difference in home devices. I certainly don't have any plans to replace my monitors any time soon with 4k ones

You'll see big differences in 4K with very large screens like Billboard sized or in Movies (which are 2k atm).

But then again very few people wanna invest in a +50 inch TV (where until +80 its still a small difference).

Hell I think my 42 inch TV is big enough, any bigger and I couldn't move by myself and it wouldn't fit in my small car.

And then there's price, the cheapest 4K TV I've ever seen was $700 but that was only 39 inch, $1500 for 50 inch, then it jumps to $5k for 55-58 inch.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

4K is good for large screens but it would produce better visuals if more effort into stuff like tesselation than the resolution alone in games especially after 1080p. Its good for movies but when the computer needs to do grunt work to produce the visuals, resolution isn't as important 

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

Isnt 4K kinda pointless unless you've got a big as f**k TV?