By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WiiWare and retro gaming

It works differently. The VC emulates existing hardware whereas games on WiiWare are theoretically capable of anything up to the standards of games that appear on Wii discs though obviously within the confines of the size limit. VC runs on emulation, WiiWare runs on the Wii's main hardware.

Around the Network

Well from what I know VC emulation is hardware, not software. This should mean that it is able to emulate up to 100% of its hardware capabilities.

Also doesn't it emulate GC in almost the same way it emulates VC ?

ferret1603 said:
It works differently. The VC emulates existing hardware whereas games on WiiWare are theoretically capable of anything up to the standards of games that appear on Wii discs though obviously within the confines of the size limit. VC runs on emulation, WiiWare runs on the Wii's main hardware.

Okay.

So why isn't SoTN possible on Wii again?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

I have serious doubts that WiiWare is going to help any (minus a 'token group') of indy developers.

Its just a digital distribution channel for the same players that are releasing Wii titles at the moment... plus the big, established casual game makers (i.e. PopCap).

I bet we see Bejewelled, Chuzzle, Peggle (etc) on the service in the launch period.

Too many players want in, and there is too much money at stake.

Hopefully I'm wrong :)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Faith, the Wii has the entire GC hardware built in so GC titles are not run via emulation but via actual GC hardware.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
ClaudeLv250 said:
ferret1603 said:

Okay.

So why isn't SoTN possible on Wii again?

It is but not on the VC as the VC doesn't support PS emulation.

Ok now I am confused... what is ths difference between emulation and running the game from hardware?... as far as I am concerned the VC games do run through the Wii hardware.

I'd prefer new titles and let the VC stick to the retro.

My Games of 2011:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Super Mario 3D Land

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

TWRoO said:
Ok now I am confused... what is ths difference between emulation and running the game from hardware?... as far as I am concerned the VC games do run through the Wii hardware.

Wiis contain the emulation code for older consoles just like the newer PS3s do for their backwards compatibility. Older PS3s contained the actual hardware to run PS2 games which made them more expensive. Think of it in terms of a PC. If you download a Game Boy emulator your PC doesn't suddenly contain a Game Boy, it just contains software which can run Game Boy games.

On the Wii Gamecube games run on the actual hardware as do Wii games. WiiWare will also run on the actual hardware.

The Wii will never be able to include a PlayStation emulator for the VC because Sony wouldn't let them. But they could include some PS games on WiiWare if they were recoded (ported) to run on the Wii, weren't branded as PlayStation, and Sony no longer had the rights to any of them.

Does that make more sense?

Well if the wii is more powerful than all the systems except for the most recent why can't it emulate these games. Yes emulation does require some power but the only games that I would see as a problem are xbox games and they are not going to be up for grabs to the wii anyway.