By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What do you think the results for the GOP in Nov will be?

Obama is a lot less liberal than most people realize. Yes, he is a Democrat and believes in liberal ideals, but his actual positions are closer to center than the "liberal/conservative ranking" reports would have you believe.

Look at his health care plan, for example. The far left idea would be either a single-payer system or mandated coverage like Hillary's plan. Obama's plan creates a National Health Insurance Exchange, which establishes a baseline of service. Private insurance companies can participate in the exchange if they meet that baseline level of service and receive subsidies, just like the government's plan. This way, they can compete with the government's plan and each other on a level playing field to drive costs down through competition. IMO it's a good mix of regulation and free market principles, and a perfect example of how Obama isn't afraid to listen to the other side and try to incorporate their ideas.

Around the Network
koffieboon said:
HappySqurriel said:

In my opinion, the Republicans can win if they can get voters to vote based on the issues ...

Obhama is a very charismatic speaker (albeit has a speech writer who likes to "borrow" elements from other speakers) who can inspire people but when it comes to the issues he is quite terrifying; he seems like a HUGE government liberal and many of his policies could be considered fascistic.

Care to explain or do you just believe everything right wing tv channels say?

Anyway, from an outside perspective the Bush administration, with the aid of a Republican Congress, made a complete mess of the US, do people really expect a new Republican president to fix it?

Care to explain or do you just believe everything left wing tv channels say?  So really, Bush ruined the country, huh?  Economists say that it takes ten years from an admintrations time in office to see how they affected the economy.  From my watch, that would put the blame for the economy squarely on the shoulders of the Clinton administration.  Bush is actually trying to fix the economy to avoid a recession.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
If Clinton pulls it out against Obama, she'll lose to McCain. Otherwise it'll likely be a slim Obama victory in the general election.

I doubt she will.  She got CRUSHED at the Cleveland state debate.  I gotta think he picked up some major points.

I mean she broke down early and he won healthcare from her, her biggest position, at best she could only match in some questions.

The guy was unflappable and instead of the usual fierce attacking that sometimes gets people overboard, he stayed cool and blocked all of her points while sticking her at other points.

The guy has like the menality of Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods during these debates.   Just the overwhelming self assuridnace of "nothing you can do is really going to effect me."

It's quite extrodinary, he's the best political debater i've seen.  The national news debators don't like it as much though because it's not as interesting for the average person. 

sienster said:
koffieboon said:
HappySqurriel said:

In my opinion, the Republicans can win if they can get voters to vote based on the issues ...

Obhama is a very charismatic speaker (albeit has a speech writer who likes to "borrow" elements from other speakers) who can inspire people but when it comes to the issues he is quite terrifying; he seems like a HUGE government liberal and many of his policies could be considered fascistic.

Care to explain or do you just believe everything right wing tv channels say?

Anyway, from an outside perspective the Bush administration, with the aid of a Republican Congress, made a complete mess of the US, do people really expect a new Republican president to fix it?

Care to explain or do you just believe everything left wing tv channels say?  So really, Bush ruined the country, huh?  Economists say that it takes ten years from an admintrations time in office to see how they affected the economy.  From my watch, that would put the blame for the economy squarely on the shoulders of the Clinton administration.  Bush is actually trying to fix the economy to avoid a recession.

I completly agree on this fact.  While Bush's methods may not be the best in the world the man who has been constantly hailed as the greatest genuis of the economy is really the source for a lot of it's problems.  Alan Greenspan is a very smart man, but he pumped the intrest rate high enough that it caused the ARM's to be sky high.  Now the current head of the Fed is lowering the rates, but the damage has already been done.  At this point we are seing the dollar drop like a rock because of the rate cuts, but there isn't much of a better choice.

Not saying the rate didn't need raising at all like Greenspan did, he just wasn't proactive enough to fix his mistakes before he left office.  Ironicaly enough the new guy is getting screwed because of it.

Slimebeast said:
royalcaribcruiser123 said:
I am a Republican mainly because of my Religous views. I used to like McCain but now he trying to get conservatives on his bandwagon and he totally changed his stances in some of the areas in which I supported his Ideals. Right now I don't Like any of the Canidates for either party because of their stance on the war or their stance on immigration.

What's their stance on immigration (and how does it differ from a traditional Republican view)?

His would secure the boarders but after declare a "No harm done." amnesty type thing like most democrats want to do. In otherwords those people could go for tests to become full citizens so they would be under control of the government and have all the benfits of that. Unlike the traditional republican plan which is to secure the border, and then depending on whether you are a

Rich Guy: Keep things as they are with the current population of hispanics, after all they still need cheap labor.

Poor Guy: Deport every illegal alien out of the country.

Around the Network

At this point, it looks like the situation is better for McCain than for either Democrat. He can focus his resources in the general election while Obama and Clinton are still fighting among themselves.. the longer the Democratic primary lasts, the worst it will be.. 

Entroper said:

Obama is a lot less liberal than most people realize. Yes, he is a Democrat and believes in liberal ideals, but his actual positions are closer to center than the "liberal/conservative ranking" reports would have you believe.

Look at his health care plan, for example. The far left idea would be either a single-payer system or mandated coverage like Hillary's plan. Obama's plan creates a National Health Insurance Exchange, which establishes a baseline of service. Private insurance companies can participate in the exchange if they meet that baseline level of service and receive subsidies, just like the government's plan. This way, they can compete with the government's plan and each other on a level playing field to drive costs down through competition. IMO it's a good mix of regulation and free market principles, and a perfect example of how Obama isn't afraid to listen to the other side and try to incorporate their ideas.

Ever looked at his voting record?

100% NARAL & Planned Parenthood rating in 2007

15% Americans for Tax Reform in 2007

16% from the National Taxpayers Union

16% from the National Association of Manufacturers

10% from the Business-Industry PAC in 2007

17% from the NFIB in 2007

80% Rating from the ALCU

100% Rating from the Americans for Separation of Church & State

8% Rating from the American Conservative Union

A Rating from the NEA

0% Rating from the Family Research Council

13% from Citizens against Government Waste

F Rating from the NRA

How is that middle of the road? It's pretty cut and dry on both sides of the fence.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Republicans might pick up some seats in the House. Senate remains pretty even. Democrats pick up a couple governors. A lot is going to depend on how the economy does this summer into autumn.

HappySqurriel said:

You are right that the GOP would have this locked up if people voted on the issues, 'cause Ron Paul would have already won.  They don't, they listen to guys liek John McCain who can change his opinion over the course of two years after having it for so many, just to get people to vote for him who wouldn't otherwise.

I have a feeling McCain can't win because he isn't firm on his principles and has proven in the public eye that he will just say what you want to hear to get your vote.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

One quick thing about Obama and Democrats......

(and please don't take this as random flaming, but I'm not joking about this):

Despite the fact that the party is to the contrary (or appears to be), there are alot of Democrats in my area that are racists. I know quite a few people that, should Obama get nominated, will not vote for him. This *could* play into an issue for some voters. I'm sure this margin is not very large, but atleast where I live, there are a few people (Ohio, btw) that are VERY ANGRY that Obama has somehow jumped up from a double digit deficit, to start manhandling Hiliary. And I'm not talking just random Dems, but party-line dems, and even a few County Leaders.

McCain is just enough nutzo and enough of a moderate, he *might* be able to capture this part of the vote.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.