By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Rockstar is doing with GTA5. Sneaky.

Tagged games:

you think they delay it by just two weeks but its actually more than that. you do realize they need to finish a game a lot before they sell it right? they need to submit it, manufacture it and in GTA's case they need to manufacture 10+ million minimum. then they need to ship it and get things ready. in the time the game goes gold to launch can take up a few weeks. along side the extra 2 weeks delay for GTA online rockstar bought them selfs around a month or so to work more on GTA online. instead of delaying the game they just make the online part delayed and downloaded as DLC

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
GTA sales are big enough they don't need resort to this.

Used sales hurts small-mid range selling games.

Exactly. Particularly the ones that can be experienced in relatively little time (finished in a weekend). When you think about it, these are the types of games that probably should be DD only and priced appropriately. 

The way I see it, publishers can do whatever the hell they want. If there's a big enough backlash, as in a million voices cry out "perfidy!" it will only end up hurting their bottom line. 

Plus GTA games are the types you can literally play forever because there's so much crap to do in them. About the only people who would sell them are the OCD types who try to "finish" games as fast as possible so they can immediately trade them in for the maximum value (always a losing prospect; you're better off renting if you do this), or those who for whatever reason, simply didn't like the damn game even though it's a GTA game that's designed and plays like a GTA game which just about everyone knows, or should know exactly what they're buying beforehand. 

Does GTA V have online multiplayer like GTA IV did?

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

bananaking21 said:

you think they delay it by just two weeks but its actually more than that. you do realize they need to finish a game a lot before they sell it right? they need to submit it, manufacture it and in GTA's case they need to manufacture 10+ million minimum. then they need to ship it and get things ready. in the time the game goes gold to launch can take up a few weeks. along side the extra 2 weeks delay for GTA online rockstar bought them selfs around a month or so to work more on GTA online. instead of delaying the game they just make the online part delayed and downloaded as DLC

The game was printed atleast a few weeks before released, but with the main game working fine and very few bugs, what do you expect an additional two weeks after launch will do.  It'll just slow used games sales for those who are interested in playing the online.  After finishing the game, it's pretty boring.  There are times when I'd go off and do nothing while playing the  game, but very rarely and there aren't a massive amount tof people who care to do that.  How many times can you just wander off doing absolutely nothing before you get bored of it?

Anyways.  There are a few used copies of GTA5 out there now.  I think Rockstars plan is working well. 

While it might not happen, I hope that one day Rockstar admits that this is what they were going for with the two week delay of the online.  Then I'll post that up in this thread, or a new one if I can't find it, just to say I told you so.

And here's a quote they said that doesn't specifically give proof, but does make you think that this could be where they're going with that. 

"Our view about used games has been, as opposed to whining or figuring out ways to punish the consumer for buying used games, we've figured out we better delight the consumer," he said. "Let's push up our quality, which you've seen in our Metacritic scores, and then let's make sure to give people DLC, often free, three or four weeks out - which is the time you're at risk for them trading in their game."

"If you can keep the game in consumer's hands for eight weeks, you almost don't care anymore about used game sales, because it's the first eight weeks that really nail you."

Take a very hard look at the bold text.  The online isn't download content but it is extra content, so it fits with the point I'm trying to make.  It seems a bit coincidental that a comment like this would be made and we're also having to wait two weeks before playing the online. 

kupomogli said:

So I was thiking about GTA Online, and then thought of s omething.  GTA Online is already complete and that's just a bs reason for delay.  They delay is an attack against used games sales.  The delay is only two weeks, any longer and people would probably get impatient and not care about the online, however during that two weeks, you'll have people keeping their copies, less used copies able to be found, so more new sales.  The first month is when the game is relevant, so as soon as it passes that month, they're not going to  get many sales in comparison to what they gained during the first month.

So Rockstar just fixed it so they would only have half a month they have to worry about the used games market cutting into their profits.  It's a smart move. 

They locked multiplayer so people will actualy play the story mode no mather what, they spended 250 million for this game, wanne make sure people will actualy play it since COD games.

Even if they benefit from no used game sales now, it doesnt always meen automatically its corrupted because someone benefit from it, somethimes I benefit from something, but I didnt planned it thad way.

Anyway believe what you want:)

Around the Network

I wonder how much Online will help GTAV's sales.

Conegamer said:
I do love a good conspiracy theory. But no, they just want people to complete the story before anything else.

I think.

Hahaha. That would be the last thing they'd care about.

I guess R* doesn't even have to confirm it. If they do the same thing with their next game, you may feel free to link to this thread and consider yourself being right.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Op is right, do you guys know what is better than a lot of money?
A shit load of money
9/10 OP
send this code (895342685) to (452-862-3245) to claim your prize

good points

but they may also have done this to avoid server problems.

Waiting two weeks will let them time to react and see how many games were sold.Selling 9 mio games you'll only need the half amount of servers than you will when 18 millions are sold.

Conegamer said:
I do love a good conspiracy theory. But no, they just want people to complete the story before anything else.

I think.

even common sense and logik is a conspiracy theory nowadays?

Well-let's take a look.

Is Rockstar interessted in wether you finish a game or not ?- they don't give shit.

Does a day 1 online mode keeps you from finishing a game? Never.If you want to finish a game you'll finish it.Maybe you'll need some more time when you also play online,but you will finish it