By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - A steam box question!

Tagged games:

What is a Steam box? What do we know about? Is it going to win the 8th generation consoles?

As far as I know it's going to be a "gaming console" so it will be a competitor with the PS4 the Xbox One and the Wii U.

But what is the thing that makes it different that the others? Can't you already use steam on your PC?

What do you think about the steam box! Also does anyone know of a release date?

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

While the Steambox definition may change when Gabe Newell says so, currently its a nickname for a dedicated gaming PC that runs Steam.

Much like Xbox consoles run Xbox live and Sony consoles have PSN, Steambox is essentially any platform that runs Steam. It can be Windows, Linux and even OSX based.

disolitude said:

While the Steambox definition may change when Gabe Newell says so, currently its a nickname for a dedicated gaming PC that runs Steam.

Much like Xbox consoles run Xbox live and Sony consoles have PSN, Steambox is essentially any platform that runs Steam. It can be Windows, Linux and even OSX based.

I read it was going to be considered a gaming consoles. So it isn't a gaming console? What is the reason for it? As games become more complex and demand more power, will you be able to upgrade the steam box? (Iknow nothing about PC's so correct me if I say something stupid xD)

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

If the Steambox is going to be a console then its going to be a huge flop. Multiplayer games will be unplayable. Anybody using a controller on the steam box in the livingroom will be completely annihilated by m&kb users on PC. If the Steambox has its own multiplayer environment separate from the PC environment it will flop as well because it won't be able to compete with Xbox One and PS4 user base. I just don't see how this is a good idea in any way.