By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Euros Accepted" signs pop up in New York City

"Even if the US becomes a fairly poor nation the huge defense budget will still keep it on top.

Of course why one wants to be on top i'll never know. All it does is give you all the blame for everything, as well as be expected to do everything.

US pays most of the UN's bill, the US is buying the UN, US doesn't pay most of the bill, US isn't doing it's part. Etc. It's stupid."

Sure, that is what it takes, biggest muscles most power. The US has 50+% of the muscles on this planet so the US will stay in charge. But will the US be able to feed it gigantic armies 20 years from now? Will it be able to keep its unemployment rate around 5%? Will it be able to increase/maintain its economic, cultural and military hegemony?

I don't have the answers, but I'm not sure that the US will be no1 20 years from now.

Beware, I live!
I am Sinistar!
Beware, coward!
I hunger!
Roaaaaaaaaaar!

At least 62 million Wii sold by the end of 09 or my mario avatar will get sad
Around the Network

They'll make more money if they accept the Euro/ Pound so why not?

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

As expected... I know a bunch of people who all went to NY just to shop pre-holidays. Spend 3000-5000 euro's and you saved as much that you'd be able to fly back and fort for 'free'. That's because Euro vs Dollar is 1:1.45 and the price you pay in $ in America is the same in euro's in Europe (so that's 1.45x more expensive).

I might just get the chance of going to NY later this year or next year because of the high euro! ... 

THE NETHERLANDS

"So when I go back to Paris, I don't have to go through the nightmare of going to an exchange place."

Exchange place? I have a less than favorable impression of american banking reaching back to an internship in the States. (Cheques you still use cheques for christ sake) but there are ATMs in Europe you know.

If you have a card with a small Maestro sign you can get money (for a fee that should be smaller than a exchange place) and there are a couple of internet banks in Germany that offer credit cards with worldwide free ATM usage.

The problem is quite clear, the usa has an incompetent government much like the uk, except their is further to fall for usa. englands already down the crapper, soon america can join us

Around the Network

A major Canadian bank has also started to offer a Euro account. In the past U.S. dollars were the only foreign currency account, but now that we've hit parity it doesn't quite have the same attraction.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Oh and just for the record a big part of the attraction of the US for shopping is not only the favorable exchange rate, there is also the fact that we Europeans get shafted for pretty much everything.
Government and companies take turn giving it to us with 19%VAT in Germany and the fact that you get the same jeans for 39$ in the States and for 69E in Europe. And somehow we Europeans pay it. I have seen the same shoes for 40$ in America and for 80Pounds in London. Its really astonishing.

Soon the US will just drop the dollar and go to the euro.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Kasz216 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
No power has remained on top forever, people don't seem to realize that, they still want a huge defense budget, unwieldy entitlements and low taxes, they don't want to save, and want to spend more than they earn, and what is really galling is its goign t obe those under thirty who get hit the worst by it

I don't see how any of that will effect the US as a world power unless we have a USSR style economic collapse. 

The most valuable currency in the world is the Kuwait Dinar.

The US dollar is just following down to the level it should be at.  It's been propped up so long artifically both by the US and other foreign countries who use massive amounts of dollars with their own economies. (Japan, etc.)

Even if the US becomes a fairly poor nation the huge defense budget will still keep it on top.

Of course why one wants to be on top i'll never know.  All it does is give you all the blame for everything, as well as be expected to do everything.

US pays most of the UN's bill, the US is buying the UN, US doesn't pay most of the bill, US isn't doing it's part.  Etc.  It's stupid.

Oh I think the debt could sink us, not just public debt but the debt on the entitlements and private debt in households, the GAO believes that the publicly held debt will double the US GDP by 2040, and by then the US will have lost its AAA status on US treasury bonds, making our interest payments on the debt higher than they are now.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)