By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - So who else writes?

Mummelmann said:
twesterm said:
I use to want to be a writer but I'm a terrible writer. Like Tolkien, I can make a good story but I'm a terrible writer.

Nowadays I just stick furry Teletubbies erotic fan fiction.

Good to see more folks who dare to be honest about what is possibly the most overrated author in Fantasy history. Tolkien was a good storyteller, not a writer imo, I've read loads of Fantasy authors who are easily better. I think liking Tolkien has become somewhat of a fashion statement after the films, somehow implying that reading him means you're really deep or some such. Notice though, that most of these "fashion fans" of his don't read any other fantasy books, or books at all for that matter...

I'm not opposed to the author or the films. In fact; those movies are among the best modern cinema or video can offer. I'm just thinking what if an even better story, written by a better author had been given that chance to shine on the big screen... 'starts to drool over the concept of a Betrayal at Krondor film...'

PS: I'm not talking about Robert Jordan if anyone wonders, writing an 800 page novel which can be adequately summarized in 3 minutes is not worthy of worship imo. I know the guy just died (and its sad for the fans and family), but it does nothing to redeem his writing.

How does being a good storyteller not make you a good author?  An author, by definition, is most simply a creator of content.  A writer has a job to conve, in words or other communicable ways, to get a message across to another person.  Tolkien seems to do both of these objectives fine.

Tolkien is criticized for being a poor English writer, novel writer, and to have a lot of complaints against his novel 'setups' not being perfect.

I'm not sure I agree with your account that Tolkien is a bad author - I mean, you supported him to be a good author already, but just sort of took it away based on a technicality that doesn't have anything to do with being an author, but being an editor, literary grammar police, or a strict reviewer who ignores content and pays attention to the fact that having a paperback cover must mean the writer sucks, because it's nto hardcover.

I don't understand you.... you're on a bandwagon that doesn't exist.

(I've only read the first half of FotR, and I could really care less about Tolkien's image, but your reasonings seem way beyond flawed to discredit an 'author'). 

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Around the Network

I have a degree in journalism and am happy to write anything so long as its non-fiction, although I'm best at writing short news stories.

facher83 said:
Mummelmann said:
twesterm said:
I use to want to be a writer but I'm a terrible writer. Like Tolkien, I can make a good story but I'm a terrible writer.

Good to see more folks who dare to be honest about what is possibly the most overrated author in Fantasy history. Tolkien was a good storyteller, not a writer imo, I've read loads of Fantasy authors who are easily better. I think liking Tolkien has become somewhat of a fashion statement after the films, somehow implying that reading him means you're really deep or some such. Notice though, that most of these "fashion fans" of his don't read any other fantasy books, or books at all for that matter...

I'm not opposed to the author or the films. In fact; those movies are among the best modern cinema or video can offer. I'm just thinking what if an even better story, written by a better author had been given that chance to shine on the big screen... 'starts to drool over the concept of a Betrayal at Krondor film...'

PS: I'm not talking about Robert Jordan if anyone wonders, writing an 800 page novel which can be adequately summarized in 3 minutes is not worthy of worship imo. I know the guy just died (and its sad for the fans and family), but it does nothing to redeem his writing.

How does being a good storyteller not make you a good author? An author, by definition, is most simply a creator of content. A writer has a job to conve, in words or other communicable ways, to get a message across to another person. Tolkien seems to do both of these objectives fine.

Tolkien is criticized for being a poor English writer, novel writer, and to have a lot of complaints against his novel 'setups' not being perfect.

I'm not sure I agree with your account that Tolkien is a bad author - I mean, you supported him to be a good author already, but just sort of took it away based on a technicality that doesn't have anything to do with being an author, but being an editor, literary grammar police, or a strict reviewer who ignores content and pays attention to the fact that having a paperback cover must mean the writer sucks, because it's nto hardcover.

(I've only read the first half of FotR, and I could really care less about Tolkien's image, but your reasonings seem way beyond flawed to discredit an 'author').

Making a story and presenting a story are two completely different things.  Tolkien made a good compelling story, nobody is objecting to that, but the way he presents it is shit.

Tolkien's style is decidedly stilted. His goal was, more or less, to write a "fictional history epic" for England, but I think he got a little too caught up on the "history" part. Which would explain why the Lord of the Rings books (and even moreso, the Silmarillon) are rather dry reads. It's not unlike reading a history book detailing all of the events of a major war, no matter how significant or insignificant those events may be.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Poetry and lyrics mainly.

Around the Network
facher83 said:
Mummelmann said:
twesterm said:

How does being a good storyteller not make you a good author? An author, by definition, is most simply a creator of content. A writer has a job to conve, in words or other communicable ways, to get a message across to another person. Tolkien seems to do both of these objectives fine.

I was mainly pointing out that he's overrated, which many would agree, just not those who haven't read anything in the genre besides Tolkien. I've read over 750 Fantasy novels, so I feel I have a pretty good selection from which to draw this conclusion instead of pulling it out of ass like many others could and probably would. Harry Potter is another series I feel gets undeserved attention along with Eragon series. HP is like "Oh this poor, single mom wrote this terrific book!" and Eragon is "Oh this must be the work of a prodigy for sure!". Tolkien gets cred for inventing the genre, which he kinda did, but others refined it. What I'm getting at is; your writing should be about the value and quality of the book rather than the fuzz revolving around your person or the circumstances under which the book was written, but such is not the case with these three examples (in my honest and somewhat educated opinion, that is).

I'm being picky because A: As stated above, I've read a whole lot of books in the genre (PS; I don't consider Harry Potter fantasy, it was just for examples sake), and B: I'm trying to make it into the bussiness myself with a script I've been working on for years so I'm being overly studious and methodical in my reading to detect ways I do not want to write. Simple as that. If you want to have a gander at those who helped refine the genre, I recommend Raymond E. Feist, David Eddings, Stephen R. Donaldson and Terry Brooks, all masters of their craft and pillars in the genre since its infancy. Now, if you choose not to follow up on my recommendations, that's fine by me. But don't call Tolkien by names he does not deserve for all his depth (which frankly is just too emphasized in LotR) before you've had ample time and sound basis for comparison. My father was easily the strongest man in the world until I started seeing weightlifting on TV or strongman contests. Broaden the horizon to get a clearer picture both near and from afar is all I'm saying.

Mummelmann said:

I was mainly pointing out that he's overrated, which many would agree, just not those who haven't read anything in the genre besides Tolkien. I've read over 750 Fantasy novels, so I feel I have a pretty good selection from which to draw this conclusion instead of pulling it out of ass like many others could and probably would. Harry Potter is another series I feel gets undeserved attention along with Eragon series. HP is like "Oh this poor, single mom wrote this terrific book!" and Eragon is "Oh this must be the work of a prodigy for sure!". Tolkien gets cred for inventing the genre, which he kinda did, but others refined it. What I'm getting at is; your writing should be about the value and quality of the book rather than the fuzz revolving around your person or the circumstances under which the book was written, but such is not the case with these three examples (in my honest and somewhat educated opinion, that is).

I'm being picky because A: As stated above, I've read a whole lot of books in the genre (PS; I don't consider Harry Potter fantasy, it was just for examples sake), and B: I'm trying to make it into the bussiness myself with a script I've been working on for years so I'm being overly studious and methodical in my reading to detect ways I do not want to write. Simple as that. If you want to have a gander at those who helped refine the genre, I recommend Raymond E. Feist, David Eddings, Stephen R. Donaldson and Terry Brooks, all masters of their craft and pillars in the genre since its infancy. Now, if you choose not to follow up on my recommendations, that's fine by me. But don't call Tolkien by names he does not deserve for all his depth (which frankly is just too emphasized in LotR) before you've had ample time and sound basis for comparison. My father was easily the strongest man in the world until I started seeing weightlifting on TV or strongman contests. Broaden the horizon to get a clearer picture both near and from afar is all I'm saying.

I did not call Tolkien anything other than a good author, of which many can be.  Your original post was to discredit writing techniques and the idea that being made a movie does not mean greatness - no, it does not, but consider the Bible and Tolkien in the same phraseof print production and you have to question why bringing movies in to it at all is grounds for making a point.  Making movies has nothing to do with making books.

Take Star Wars, for instance... dozensupon dozens or more authors take on the SW cosmosand write stories that are certainly in greater depth and detail than George Lucas ever could have... it doesn't take away from the story at hand.

I could rant on Pong, about it being too simple and that better refinements are worth playing, but it's silly.  Sure, it's true, but it's as if I would only want to stand on a pillar and preach how much more knowledgable I am than the other 500 million people who have heard of Pong but who have not heard of the Infinity Engine games.

As with most art forms, credit where deserved usually is given AFTER the person's death.  Sorry to say it, but maybe your opinions of your authors will become realized in 80 years, just as that of Beethoven and Mozart, but there will always be people who discredit pioneers just for the sake of doing so.

Numbers: Checker Players > Halo Players

Checkers Age and replayability > Halo Age and replayability

Therefore, Checkers > Halo

So, Checkers is a better game than Halo.

Mummelmann said:
I write in both Norwegian and English, anything from sci-fi to WWII short stories to fantasy novels.
I've written for about 8 years now, starting in the mid teens and I think that J.K Rowling and Christopher Paolini are the very definition of lack of talent...
I've also written tidbits and one or other odd story for local newspapers and I work as a translator for the biggest Age of Conan website in Norway and partially for Vgchartz!
Somebody else who thinks Paolini is completely devoid of anything resembling talent? Nice to know I'm not the only one. Thank god the media's finally fallen out  of love with him; I got sick of reading about the ''prodigal fantasy author'' everytime I read an article about the genre. 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

facher83 said:
Mummelmann said:

I did not call Tolkien anything other than a good author, of which many can be. Your original post was to discredit writing techniques and the idea that being made a movie does not mean greatness - no, it does not, but consider the Bible and Tolkien in the same phraseof print production and you have to question why bringing movies in to it at all is grounds for making a point. Making movies has nothing to do with making books.

Take Star Wars, for instance... dozensupon dozens or more authors take on the SW cosmosand write stories that are certainly in greater depth and detail than George Lucas ever could have... it doesn't take away from the story at hand.

I could rant on Pong, about it being too simple and that better refinements are worth playing, but it's silly. Sure, it's true, but it's as if I would only want to stand on a pillar and preach how much more knowledgable I am than the other 500 million people who have heard of Pong but who have not heard of the Infinity Engine games.

As with most art forms, credit where deserved usually is given AFTER the person's death. Sorry to say it, but maybe your opinions of your authors will become realized in 80 years, just as that of Beethoven and Mozart, but there will always be people who discredit pioneers just for the sake of doing so.

That's just silly. He wasn't doing any slander of Tolkieen, simply stated he's overrated, and compared to others who followed him, not as good of a fantasy author. I've been reading fantasy with pretty devotedly for most of my life; the point he makes is completely right. Until you broaden your horizons, there's no way you can claim that Tolkieen is some inarguable lord of fantasy.

You even manage to discredit yourself with your pong metaphor. If you'd only played Pong, I'm sure it would seem like a fantastic game. However, we've all played games significantly more complex and better than Pong. Nobody would claim that Pong is a brilliant game that will never be equalled simply because it was basically the first videogame.

And your last line about Beethoven and Mozart makes no sense. Feist, Eddings, Donaldson and Brooks hold more respect within fans of the genre than Tolkieen does. Look up a few of reviews, and see what they say about their better books. And that's without having a multi-million, three movie Hollywoodization made to drag a couple million fans on their bandwagon.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

facher83 said:
Mummelmann said:

I did not call Tolkien anything other than a good author, of which many can be. Your original post was to discredit writing techniques and the idea that being made a movie does not mean greatness - no, it does not, but consider the Bible and Tolkien in the same phraseof print production and you have to question why bringing movies in to it at all is grounds for making a point. Making movies has nothing to do with making books.

I could rant on Pong, about it being too simple and that better refinements are worth playing, but it's silly. Sure, it's true, but it's as if I would only want to stand on a pillar and preach how much more knowledgable I am than the other 500 million people who have heard of Pong but who have not heard of the Infinity Engine games.

As with most art forms, credit where deserved usually is given AFTER the person's death. Sorry to say it, but maybe your opinions of your authors will become realized in 80 years, just as that of Beethoven and Mozart, but there will always be people who discredit pioneers just for the sake of doing so.

Just for the sake of argument: the point at hand is that refinement in this case is to strive for less complexity and word "bushwackery" and make the whole genre more available through better communication, which in this case would entail adopting a writing style that someone beyond "intellectual language eccentric", like Tolkien was, could enjoy and indeed fathom it to the full extent such a work should be.