By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - M-Create HW #s in (I know. there is a thread about SSBB mc sales)

Editional : about the sales of console

At first, I seems that there are many comments about console sales. And most of them is "Console sales is too low."

Then, I just start to give expressions to console sales.

1. Deconcentration of demand

First of all, it was clear that SSBB and DMC caused growth in demand of console. So, it is natural for them to think "Console will be sold-out at release day..."

Therefore there is possibility that many people had already bought consoles, especially, year-end and new year market.

2. User base of these games

SSBB and DMC have in common. It is "Both are the games for mainly present gaming users."

The successes of Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit are induced by growth of demand of non-gaming user base. But, to be honest, SSBB and DMC have little influences to attract them. So, main user base of SSBB and DMC is "present gaming users."

Based on this, There is simple answer for the low train of console sales.

"They have already bought it."

For them, console isn't for only SSBB and DMC. If there was the game that attracts them, they didn't hesitate to buy it with console. (It's more than probable that these are SMG for Wii and DW6 or WE2007 for PS3)

http://www.vgchartz.com/news/news.php?id=826 I read this article when I was looking at the front page. I believe this can be related to what your discussing about SSBB not pushing enough Wii units.

Around the Network

Its possible, but considering DS also dropped below PSP, I think its more likely a supply issue of hardware rather than anything, plus Naz was saying that reports are coming in of Wii being sold out in japan

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

The PSP has had a ton of new releases lately, and the DS has had M&S, after a few weeks it should go back to the way things were. (is it just me or has Japan been dumped with big releases lately n Sony systems lately)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Also, the Wii is most likely sold out. As it has been since WiiFit(and imo before that) so you can't say brawl did not push many consoles, we really can't know for sure if their is high demand for Brawl by non wii owners for a while.

Also, from all reports WiiFit is still completely sold out.

Except PSP software sales have still been below DS sales, so its not software driving PSP sales and its not a lack of software keeping DS down

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

@ A_T

You are so delusional. Now the DS is supply constrained?

I lol'd

Hm. I wonder. Only thing i can think of that would push PSP software is Skype... and i'm pretty sure that got put on indefinite delay in japan due to supposed hardware problems... despite that not holding back Skype in europe and the US... and it being the same microphones. (Read, pressure from Japanese phone companies.)

Is Skype out in the US/Europe yet and with or without hacks could you use the Wii or PS3 firmware to use it?

DMeisterJ said:
@ A_T

You are so delusional. Now the DS is supply constrained?

I lol'd

Tell me DM, what were the DS sales over the holiday?  You don't think they went through most of their supply at that time?

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=DS&reg1=All&cons2=DS&reg2=All&cons3=DS&reg3=All&start=39117&end=39481

look at the WW figures, pretty much every week excpet during the holidays and big release periods in one territory the weekly sales of DS WW are around 400K, again this week around 400K, with a rise in others and a drop in Japan, seems to indicate that Japan may be a little low on supply

Hmm... this may mean Nintendo has to do the first price drop on DS in Japan in 3 years LOL... so terrible... the competive market can be a beotch : )

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=DS&reg1=Japan&cons2=PSP&reg2=Japan&cons3=DS&reg3=Japan&start=38662&end=39481

check out this graph, this tells the whole story... something happened for the PSP in September of 07, and since then it has seen the only success it has EVER seen there... While the PSP is trending down in NA and Others it seems to be actually improving in Japan.. Is it being used as a media device?