By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Edge's 10 best consoles of the last 20 years

Talal said:
BOLLOCKS said:
No Snes? Worst list ever.

It was released on 1990.

OT: The last few years of the 360 should have been enough to make it drop a few spots. The list would have been fine imo if it was made back in 2010 for example.

It was in it's prime in 1993 though.

Around the Network

Did they provide some context: is this based on exclusives alone? overall software line up, what about what about hardware?

Either way I think the true unbiased, nostalgia free list would obviously read.

-PS2
-PS1
-PS3
-Xbox 360

In no specific order (ps2 probably first), These consoles easily have the most selection of games, genres and most flexible hardware for their time.

The N64 has way too small of a games library to be at number 4. Were there even RPGs on the system?

Damn.. I'm getting old. I was like where the fuck is the NES? List is stupid to just count last 20 years. It should be overall. Fuck this list and 360 doesn't deserve #2 spot.  Wii at #8 is laughable.

BOLLOCKS said:
Talal said:
BOLLOCKS said:
No Snes? Worst list ever.

It was released on 1990.

OT: The last few years of the 360 should have been enough to make it drop a few spots. The list would have been fine imo if it was made back in 2010 for example.

It was in it's prime in 1993 though.

I guess it depends on what they mean by in the last 20 years. I think it means that it had to be released within the 20 years. 

for people calling for the snes to be on the list, 90% of its game played the same.... Remove the rose tinted glasses.

Around the Network
teigaga said:
for people calling for the snes to be on the list, 90% of its game played the same.... Remove the rose tinted glasses.

Going by that logic then 95-99% of NES games played the same and 100% of Atari 2600 games played the same.

teigaga said:
Did they provide some context: is this based on exclusives alone? overall software line up, what about what about hardware?

-PS2
-PS1
-PS3
-Xbox 360

In no specific order (ps2 probably first), These consoles easily have the most selection of games, genres and most flexible hardware for their time.

The N64 has way too small of a games library to be at number 4. Were there even RPGs on the system?

I agree with the PS1 and 2 being high up on the list, but the PS3? No. Most flexible hardware? The Cell processor suggests not. The N64 is high up because it had some of the greatest games of all time. I agree it needed more from the Japanese, but so does the 360. The Wii should also be higher because of the innovation. 

sethnintendo said:
teigaga said:

Going by that logic then 95-99% of NES games played the same and 100% of Atari 2600 games played the same.

Yep :)

I assume this list isn't based of nostaligia 

IamAwsome said:
teigaga said:

-PS2
-PS1
-PS3
-Xbox 360

I agree with the PS1 and 2 being high up on the list, but the PS3? No. Most flexible hardware? The Cell processor suggests not. The N64 is high up because it had some of the greatest games of all time. I agree it needed more from the Japanese, but so does the 360. The Wii should also be higher because of the innovation. 

I'm talking from a consumer standpoint(Bluray, free online, HDD). If we were talking developement wise then the dreamcast, N64 and PS3 would all be at the bottom.

Also the Xbox 360 has a ton more japanese games then the N64. And although the N64 has some of the greatest games of all time, the ps3/360 share many multplats which are iconic (GTA, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Rayman, Beyonetta... Add in the exclusives and the selection so much more varied then the N64's handful of classics (Ocarina of time, Golden Eye, Banjo, Mario 64 etc)

the fact that the GBA is not included simply makes this list irrelevant.