By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How many languages do you speak? And why?...

I'm from The Netherlands. A small country with only 16.6 million inhabitants (23 million people speaking Dutch worldwide).

Since my country is allocated between Germany, France and the UK and Western Europe has a pretty interesting history we (as Dutch people) are forced to addapt to our surroundings and learn a variety of languages.

Now, im interested in what region you guys live and what kind of languages you guys are learning/have learnt.

The languages i can speak in order of how good:

Dutch - Netherlands. Reason: Homecountry.

English - UK. Reason: The World's no.1 language.

German - Germany. Reason: Live within 10 kilometers of Germany.

French - France. Reason: France is pretty close by (250-300km).

------------------ 

-I can only translate segments of text, not speak... 

Latin - Ancient Rome. Reason: I do grammar-school so i have to take these classes.

Old Greece - Ancient Greece.  Reason: See above.

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

2... because i grew up in new jersey

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

i can speak dutch
i can speak rotterdams
i can speak haags
i can speak english
i can speak german

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

English is my mother tongue and i'm learning Japanese.

I speak a lot of English because its the language here in america
I also speak Spanish, mostly in my house because my parents are hispanic. Right now im learning french in school

Around the Network

¿Que?

I can speak:

Spanish - Mexico. Reason: Home country

English- USA. Reason: Useful.

I can read:

Japanese (but I'm not that good) - Japan. Reason: I like japanese music.

Two. English and German. World War ll could've gone either way, and I would've been fine......except for the fact that I'M BLACK.

Finnish - my mother tongue
English - spoke it before I could write in Finnish, so I guess I'm halfway native =P
Swedish - few years compulsory at school. forgot most of it.
German - a few years at school, forgot most of it. been thinking about studying it again.
Latin - pretty much at high school and university. I'm the chairman of the Latin student association at my uni. \o/
Japanese - a bunch of uni courses. not too good, but improving. I can just about read comics with a dictionary.

Been thinking about studying a bit of Chinese and Arabic, but haven't had the chance. Borrowed a Greek grammar book from the library, but I'm probably just learning the alphabet from it.

Americans are usually very impressed by all this, but having studied this many languages is actually pretty common in Europe. I'm only fluent in two of them anyway.

well i speak
english
polish - my mother tongue
and few years ago i could speak german but after graduate school i stop learning it so i probably won't understand it even if someone will insult me :) i remember just few words but if i can see some text i can guess by the concept what it's about(well at least i know HANDE HOH just in case of another world war:D)