By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One vs. PS4 Graphics Showdown: The Rematch

RazorDragon said:
SvennoJ said:
8th generation and still static pre-baked lighting, no weather for a sim racer? It was already embarrassing last gen. 5th gen could do it, why keep stuck in the past to get shiny cars. Turn 10 needs to stop chasing the best looking press shots and make an immersive sim racer.

Yeah, because lightning is just what a race sim needs to be immersive. Sorry, but I don't belive anyone should care about the way lightning is rendered when it looks good enough, Forza looks great with pre-baked lightning(which no one would notice if the developers themselves didn't said it was) and that's what count. About weather, yeah, you're absolutely right.

I agree with what you're meaning but actually lots of people noticed the baked lights.

Around the Network
RazorDragon said:
SvennoJ said:
8th generation and still static pre-baked lighting, no weather for a sim racer? It was already embarrassing last gen. 5th gen could do it, why keep stuck in the past to get shiny cars. Turn 10 needs to stop chasing the best looking press shots and make an immersive sim racer.

Yeah, because lightning is just what a race sim needs to be immersive. Sorry, but I don't belive anyone should care about the way lightning is rendered when it looks good enough, Forza looks great with pre-baked lightning(which no one would notice if the developers themselves didn't said it was) and that's what count. About weather, yeah, you're absolutely right.

Hmm.  Personally, I think driving in different times of day and with different types of weather (I realize you agreed with this one) adds a lot more to immersion than 60 FPS.  Of course, I'm pretty sure Drive Club will reach its goal of 60FPS, which is really the only advantage Forza has on it, graphic-wise.  Still, I think we should wait until GT7 releases in a year or two to show off what can truly be accomplished with a next gen sim racer, as Drive Club is striving to have more of an arcade feel to it, AND it will undoubtedly pack more features than Forza 5.

RazorDragon said:
SvennoJ said:

Driving in a lightning storm would be awesome, but I'll settle for dynamic lighting. It adds a lot of replayability to be able to drive the track at different times of day or night, sun in your eyes or behind you makes a huge difference. Weather is more important though to keep it interesting, especially in longer races, seeing the track get wetter and deciding when it's the best time to change the tires. Driving in the spray from other cars is a whole different challenge too. I keep coming back to GT5 to play the few tracks with weather the most. The city tracks may look more photogenic but I never touch them anymore.

Next gen I expect better dynamic weather. Summer hail, heavy rain, foggy drizzle, wet snow. Have wind effect the car as well, hydroplaning, heat shimmer. If we keep driving on the same tracks year after year, might as well make the driving a bit more interesting instead of just improving the textures and more detailed hubcaps.

Does any of this really matter? The consoles are still months out. I love the fanboyism. Sony's ppl think ps4 is the best thing ever and nothing can touch it, till the ps5 comes. MS ppl say ps4 looks graphically similar to the xb1. Sony's ppl sound like they suffer from penis envy,

Spidey senses are tingling, oh crap!!!1 Incoming ban:)

the-pi-guy said:
Gamecube said:

Wow, you're really upset.  The consoles are still months out, but they're not going to change at this point. 

Lol, you must have missed thart, "Spidey senses are tingling, oh crap!!!1 Incoming ban:)" 

Obviously a joke my friend

Around the Network

Hmm this might sound like an amateur question but what is baked lighting?

riderz13371 said:
Hmm this might sound like an amateur question but what is baked lighting?

static or prerendered. Shadows arn't cast by an object blocking a light source if i'm not mistaken. 

Not really a big deal, who plays a racing game to look at shadows? With how nice everything else looks, it's a tiny detail I can overlook

Nsanity said:
JoeTheBro said:

Forza wins. DriveClub is doing way more real time stuff that technically is better, but who cares what the numbers say. It was smart for Forza to bake and fake a lot of things. Looks amazing!

Digital Foundry

Sony's press shots for DriveClub look pretty cool, but despite some neat features such as proper vehicle deformation and some beautiful lighting, the low quality, blurry textures looked a world apart from what Forza 5 was achieving running at twice the frame-rate.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4

Hey, that's not really fair!  Not fair to point out FACTS that they haven't yet been able to match the frame rate with "a 50% more powerful console."  Nobody is supposed to be talking about that yet, well, not till all the per-orders are finalized. 

Are you trying to imply that looking at one aspect of hardware with a myopic bias way is not the be all and end all?  Could be that a major software company has some software tricks up their sleeves that could change the results some people have been attempting to artificially enforce on everyone? 

Next you might even point out that some Kinect features - might actually be fun, useful, and revolutionary.  Or that the new 'home console' versions of Xbox Live Gold might actually save families money and allow more people to enjoy gaming.

Could the trolls possibly be wrong?  Is their fool hardy arrogance and belligerence misguided?

You Sir, make an excellent point. A dangerous one, especially in the wrong hands, but an excellent one.  I salute you with respect.

Tune in this fall to find out the exciting outcome of the new Console Wars!

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
Nsanity said:
JoeTheBro said:

Forza wins. DriveClub is doing way more real time stuff that technically is better, but who cares what the numbers say. It was smart for Forza to bake and fake a lot of things. Looks amazing!

Digital Foundry

Sony's press shots for DriveClub look pretty cool, but despite some neat features such as proper vehicle deformation and some beautiful lighting, the low quality, blurry textures looked a world apart from what Forza 5 was achieving running at twice the frame-rate.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4

Hey, that's not really fair!  Not fair to point out FACTS that they haven't yet been able to match the frame rate with "a 50% more powerful console."  Nobody is supposed to be talking about that yet, well, not till all the per-orders are finalized. 

Are you trying to imply that looking at one aspect of hardware with a myopic bias way is not the be all and end all?  Could be that a major software company has some software tricks up their sleeves that could change the results some people have been attempting to artificially enforce on everyone? 

Next you might even point out that some Kinect features - might actually be fun, useful, and revolutionary.  Or that the new 'home console' versions of Xbox Live Gold might actually save families money and allow more people to enjoy gaming.

Could the trolls possibly be wrong?  Is their fool hardy arrogance and belligerence misguided?

You Sir, make an excellent point. A dangerous one, especially in the wrong hands, but an excellent one.  I salute you with respect.

Tune in this fall to find out the exciting outcome of the new Console Wars!

Agreed:)