By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Despite all the X1 Improvements, geographical bias will be its biggest problem.

The Xbox 1 has become more gamer centric by the week as MS continues to surprise me for the better. Below is what they have improved and amended:
Improvements over 360 Era

Bluray drive
Standard harddrive with external HD support
Improved gamepad (D-pad and trigger)
No MS points
Live Gold Free Games
Dedicated servers
Region free
Smart Match > Truskill matchmaking
More reliable
Quiet
Improved 1st party Studio support with increased 3rd party deals

Since X1 Unveiling

Indie Self Publish/X1 is a dev kit too
Not always on
No restrictions on used games/lending
Kinect can be totally OFF
Headset included
GPU Clock speed increased
Quite an impressive list when you see it all in one place. Quite literally the only con left is the price gap and kinect being mandatory, which is essentially the same thing. But this in itself can be remedied over time and history has shown that a higher priced console can still catch up with another over time (PS3).
          But when it all comes down to it, features, price, and even exclusives take a back seat to mindshare. We know North America has no established bias, as they buy PS1, then PS2, but then buy the Wii/360 in the recent gen. It is by no means "Xbox turf" but it can be to whomever captures the masses interests. European gamers have a slight cultural disposition towards Sony products, but even then this continent is a true battleground.....where cost, games, and marketing all make a impact on what are largely unloyal masses.
          Unfortunatley the secret to X1 losing out on 1st place is Japan. Yes I am playing the Japan card. Unlike NA and Europe, rejection of the Xbox brand is rooted in the culture itself. Despite great efforts in the 7th generation, the masses just refuse to adopt it. While console gaming in Japan is on the decline, there is still bound to be a several million gap between the PS4 and X1 in Japan. And globally, that will make all the difference, just as it has now. NA and Europe can essentially cancel eachother out, but imbedded cultural rejection of X1 in Japan will seal the deal.
          Doesn't anybody find this....unfortunate? Offcourse the X1 will still sell respectable and likely make a nice profit. It will beat WiiU for 2nd if its sales don't drastically pick up so X1 gamers will have nothing to be ashamed of. If X1 is successful over PS4 in NA/UK......where most of us posters are from, that matters more then global sales anyday IMO. But theres still that feeling that no matter how good MS improves themselves, that it can't change geographical biases that are too rooted in the country to change any minds. It's a shame. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Tagged

PSN ID: clemens-nl                                                                                                                

sales2099 said:
The Xbox 1 has become more gamer centric by the week as MS continues to surprise me for the better. Below is what they have improved and amended:
Improvements over 360 Era

Bluray drive
Standard harddrive with external HD support
Improved gamepad (D-pad and trigger)
No MS points
Live Gold Free Games
Dedicated servers
Region free
Smart Match > Truskill matchmaking
More reliable
Quiet
Improved 1st party Studio support with increased 3rd party deals

Well, not for down your post, but just want  to point out for me :

- improved gamepad, i need to use this before to know if better or not, same as ps4 new pad
- No MS points, well sorry but here this mean i will pay higher price since i cant buy them in other country for cheaper so not a improve at all.
- More reliable... really ? we not even know atm, this problably will be, but i want to see this first, same for ps4, there can alway may have problem.
- Dedicated server, just PR talk, this was already the case for many game this gen, and not all company will pay for this so, this may or not improve, time will tell.

But i agree, they improving since unveilling, but i still prefere ps4, but now i consider xbox 1 at buy down later :) and its all good for gamer who want play all good game from all company ^^

Yeah, no matter how good the XBO gets, it will still probably get outsold in Europe and Japan.

I don't think geographical bias will be its biggest problem. The price difference is the biggest problem which is surprising because MS could easily take a loss on it but then that would be a silly business decision.
The 360 did well mainly because it was cheaper than the PS3.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

I think we Americans should boycot Sony and Nintendo also, that'll show em!

I'm being very serious!

I don't think geographical bias will be its biggest problem. The price difference is the biggest problem which is surprising because MS could easily take a loss on it but then that would be a silly business decision. 

The 360 did well mainly because it was cheaper than the PS3. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

RolStoppable said:
The rejection of the Xbox brand in Japan is rooted in the original Xbox being a piece of trash over there. Shoddy support, lack of appealing games etc. Basically everything that matters was done wrong or in an insufficient manner.

Then things move to the Xbox 360 and Microsoft seriously expected that they could succeed with a toxic brand as long as they secure a handful of (timed) exclusive JRPGs. That just doesn't cut it, so even with the rise in popularity of Western-developed games in Japan, the 360 didn't make much headway.

By sticking with their toxic brand, a rejection of the Xbox One in Japan is a given.

Resuming and concluding this is what the OP is about. But anybody that knows videogame market well enough knows that MS just didn't win in Japan because Japanese people have a very big spirit of nationalism. And don't bring that Apple crap because they don't have anything competing with them.

Between a Japanese brand and a foreigner (same product)  they choose their homemade ones. Unlike US.

RolStoppable said:
The rejection of the Xbox brand in Japan is rooted in the original Xbox being a piece of trash over there. Shoddy support, lack of appealing games etc. Basically everything that matters was done wrong or in an insufficient manner.

Then things move to the Xbox 360 and Microsoft seriously expected that they could succeed with a toxic brand as long as they secure a handful of (timed) exclusive JRPGs. That just doesn't cut it, so even with the rise in popularity of Western-developed games in Japan, the 360 didn't make much headway.

By sticking with their toxic brand, a rejection of the Xbox One in Japan is a given.

That is the problem, they remember. The masses in NA and Europe don't have that same mindset. They don't care if a predessessor was badly recieved if the current offering is really interesting to them.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Lyrikalstylez said:
I think we Americans should boycot Sony and Nintendo also, that'll show em!

I'm being very serious!

I would love to see that happen. But we're better than that.