By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - John Carmack (sort of) leaves id (but not really, but yeah) to work on Oculus Rift

Tagged games:

the-pi-guy said:
NoirSon said:
pezus said:

VR Headsets are WAY cooler than 3D TV. And they are a much better fit for games than 3D TVs, because they add more interactivity

But the problem with VR headsets is the complete immersion isn't it? If I have a VR headset on while it maybe more interactive it will also mean you can't see jack around you and are at a disadvantage if someone wants to take or do something to you or your stuff. Most people rather not cut off any of my senses just to enjoy a game, if it could be like Star Trek and such that is different but as bad as 3D glasses are, you don't have to worry about the problems a full VR headset creates.

Do you not trust the people around you?   

The Oculus Rift has gotten quite a bit of attention, and has seen a lot of positive impressions.  

Maybe family members but friends, acquaintances or anyone that just happens to walk into my home I'd rather not h ave to put that much trust in. 

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
NoirSon said:
the-pi-guy said:

Do you not trust the people around you?   

The Oculus Rift has gotten quite a bit of attention, and has seen a lot of positive impressions.  

Maybe family members but friends, acquaintances or anyone that just happens to walk into my home I'd rather not h ave to put that much trust in. 

Weird, is it because of your neighborhood or is your age group just untrustworthy?   Or both?

I'd imagine you're in the minority otherwise.  I trust most people that I know, if I don't trust them I'd lock the door.  I haven't heard anyone with that type of concern for Oculus.  It's not like total VR though, just visual and auditory.  Not much different from Television other than the fact that you'd have to remove the headset. 

I hang out with folk that love to pull pranks when we get together and if you give them the opening...

But even the neighborhood thing is a problem, if I had to move to an apartment or any place where that someone could break in, a VR headset leaves me at a disadvantage. Heck, a bad girlfriend could take anything from my shelves or phone with me in the same room. That type of immersion just isn't worth the risk for most games.