By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog: Ellie’s Popularity in The Last of Us “Says a lot About Whether Games can Sell With a Female Protagonist” *spoilers*

Wright said:

I don't want to sound mean or anything; I mean, I admit Ellie is pretty badass and all that. But people, you're seriously forgetting someone who's way more badass than Ellie D:

bitch please XD

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:

...but Metroid came out 10 years before tomb raider

I didnt know Samus was even a chick 90's.

riderz13371 said:
RolStoppable said:
If Ellie counts as an example (Is she even playable? The article suggests the opposite.), then a good number of JRPGs would count as well (first and foremost titels from the Final Fantasy series). Or if we stretch it further, we could toss in The Legend of Zelda, because the name alone suggests a central role for a female character.

Oh, and didn't Gears of War 3 sell well? There was a female protagonist to.

What exactly is the point of this article?

Yes Ellie is a playable character. I think her section is actually the best part of the game.

Gears 3 had a female character but she wasnt a lead nor could be. Ellie is a lead character in the making and its quite convincing at that.

MohammadBadir said:

bitch please XD

Sorry, but a woman that would get progressively naked regarding how well the player beat the game isn't what I consider a "strong female protagonist"!

If anything, she's a... she's a...

Yeah, a bitch!

riderz13371 said:
FatedReality said:
Didn't Tomb Raider sell pretty well, Lara Croft was the female protagonist so isn't this already proven.

Not according to SE

http://www.gamespot.com/news/tomb-raider-fails-to-reach-sales-target-6405929

Square Enix should have spent less on development for this game if 3.4 million sales  plus however amount of digital sales in a month isnt enough to make a profit. 3.4 million in a month is great especially for a reboot.

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

Around the Network
wilco said:
MohammadBadir said:
....didn't Samus already prove this?

No, it didn't. and neither does TLOU.

Really?....So you could never see Ellie being the lead character of the Last of Us franchise?

FatedReality said:
riderz13371 said:
FatedReality said:
Didn't Tomb Raider sell pretty well, Lara Croft was the female protagonist so isn't this already proven.

Not according to SE

Square Enix should have spent less on development for this game if 3.4 million sales  plus however amount of digital sales in a month isnt enough to make a profit. 3.4 million in a month is great especially for a reboot.

they never said it never made a profit, they said it failed to reach sales target. basically they, for some od reason, expected it to sell even more than it already did. they apperantly wanted more than 3.4M in the first month. the devs were very happy with the sales, square wanted more

not reading,. thanks for the spoiler alert...

... but if anything ellie's popularity proves gamers are also pedophiles.

Interesting.
The sequel to TLOU will likely feature Ellie as the lead character, which will further support this article.

Top 10 Games of All Time

1. The Last of Us, 2. Journey, 3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, 4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, 5. Bioshock Infinite, 6. Zelda: Twilight Princess, 7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, 8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 9. Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, 10. Starcraft

Add me on PSN. Thanks.

bananaking21 said:
FatedReality said:
riderz13371 said:
FatedReality said:

Not according to SE

they never said it never made a profit, they said it failed to reach sales target. basically they, for some od reason, expected it to sell even more than it already did. they apperantly wanted more than 3.4M in the first month. the devs were very happy with the sales, square wanted more

I assumed sense they said it failed to reach its sales target that they must not have made enough money on it. Square Enix was foolish to predict so high. What did they assume it to sell in the first month?  But I am happy that the developers were happy with sales, the game deserves it.

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!