By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Naughty Dog: Ellie’s Popularity in The Last of Us “Says a lot About Whether Games can Sell With a Female Protagonist” *spoilers*

MohammadBadir said:
....didn't Samus already prove this?

if anything proved this before its tomb raider

Around the Network
MohammadBadir said:

No, it didn't. and neither does TLOU.

FatedReality said:
Didn't Tomb Raider sell pretty well, Lara Croft was the female protagonist so isn't this already proven.

Not according to SE

http://www.gamespot.com/news/tomb-raider-fails-to-reach-sales-target-6405929

FatedReality said:
Didn't Tomb Raider sell pretty well, Lara Croft was the female protagonist so isn't this already proven.

Yes, but never in the history of Tomb Raider or videogames have witnessed the rise of a female protagonist in such an unlikely situation. Tomb Raider forced the issue of this girl being tough, but what Ellie went through was true survival. By rights Lara Croft should've been dead in Tomb Raider. She survived far too long without proper medical care. Ellie will win the respect of male gamers without being overly sexual or acting like shes the most badass character.....she just is badass...and will grow to become even more badass.

bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:

...but Metroid came out 10 years before tomb raider

Around the Network

hmm i was playing UC3, but now i just wanna play TLOU again, so im going to. Third play thru :D

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz

DD_Bwest said:
hmm i was playing UC3, but now i just wanna play TLOU again, so im going to. Third play thru :D

Im going to platinum this game.

I don't want to sound mean or anything; I mean, I admit Ellie is pretty badass and all that. But people, you're seriously forgetting someone who's way more badass than Ellie D:

MohammadBadir said:
bananaking21 said:
MohammadBadir said:

...but Metroid came out 10 years before tomb raider

If its not advertised as a game where you play as a female and the characters gender is barely acknowledged then it does not "prove" that games can sell with a female protagonist.

RolStoppable said:
If Ellie counts as an example (Is she even playable? The article suggests the opposite.), then a good number of JRPGs would count as well (first and foremost titels from the Final Fantasy series). Or if we stretch it further, we could toss in The Legend of Zelda, because the name alone suggests a central role for a female character.

Oh, and didn't Gears of War 3 sell well? There was a female protagonist to.

What exactly is the point of this article?

Yes Ellie is a playable character. I think her section is actually the best part of the game.