By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gaming speeds: Is my cable company cheating me?

Tagged games:

I'm on a package for around 12mbps, which used to work out fine for me, but now I've been having problems streaming YouTube videos (even on SD quality) and playing COD: BO2 at the same time for the past month or so. I checked the bit rate while the two were on simultaneously and I was getting 9.28 mbps download and 2.39 upload on speedtest.net. Do I really need to upgrade to a 25mbps package (extra $20 a month), or is there something wrong with my connection?

Around the Network

Are you using wifi? You could try to change the channel.. When a lot of people in the neighbourhood use the same wifi channel it can drop the quality

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Are you using wifi? You could try to change the channel.. When a lot of people in the neighbourhood use the same wifi channel it can drop the quality

Yes I'm on wifi. I'll try doing that.

I have this exact problem, and, having looked itnto it, sorry it's unfixable. It happens when both me and my brother do something on the same connection, like playing a game and watching a video. Both of our pings spike to like 300ms from 30ms which make games unplayable.

Connections from two sources can cause a problem in the "network buffer" on the ISP end if it's too small, and it's not a value you can persuade them to change (let alone get across to a level 1 tech support person). It's nothing to do with the connection speed.

Run this while watching a video:

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

and tell me what flags up.

I paid for 3Mbps from Verizon and got 700kbps download and 200kbps upload.

Not to mention all the technical issues and other nuisances that came with the service.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

I have this exact problem, and, having looked itnto it, sorry it's unfixable. It happens when both me and my brother do something on the same connection, like playing a game and watching a video. Both of our pings spike to like 300ms from 30ms which make games unplayable.

Connections from two sources can cause a problem in the "network buffer" on the ISP end if it's too small, and it's not a value you can persuade them to change (let alone get across to a level 1 tech support person). It's nothing to do with the connection speed.

Run this while watching a video:

http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

and tell me what flags up.

I will, thanks. The strange thing is my ping is still reasonable, like around 40ms or 50ms tops. I had a similar problem 6 months ago, and he somehow boosted my signal to where it fixed the problem. Cable guy is coming on Tuesday, so I hope he fixes it again.

Have you tried a wired connection? You can get powerline adapters that negate the need to drill holes in things.