By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Owner Poll - What's the most important for you to buy a game?

GooseGaws said:
@blaydcor:

Really? He's always trying to protect the women in the story; first Terra, then Celes. I think the changes were to preserve the original intent of the dialogue. If you look around on the web, I'm sure you'll find some article threatening to kill Ted Woolsey for his "abhorrent" translation job.
Yeah, that's why he was trying to always protect the women. Because he couldn't protect Rachel. 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

@blaydcor:

No debonair champions? What about Cyan? Sure, he goes a little crazy after his family is murdered, but who wouldn't?

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Also, if Ted Woolsey's translation was so "bad", why was the game so universally loved? I've NEVER seen complaints that the script was bad. Just the *translation*. Which means, as a standalone piece of work (not juxtaposed with its japanese counterpart) it is an effective, well written script.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

I realize he's trying to protect Terra and Celes because he couldn't protect Rachel, but that's exactly what makes him the tragic, romantic gentleman. If he was a bitter, heartless thief, he wouldn't give a damn.

Hates Nomura.

GooseGaws said:
@blaydcor:

No debonair champions? What about Cyan? Sure, he goes a little crazy after his family is murdered, but who wouldn't?
True, I somehow didn't think about Cyan. I think I was interpreting the world "champion" more as "hero". And nobody's really heroic in the classic sense; they're all flawed characters with their own demons, who come together to accomplish something great. So much better than the "you are a farm boy one day prophecized to overthrow all the darkness in the land" plotline. Anoter reason I love FF 6. 

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
Being a roguish thief was personally my interpration of Locke. And, like I said, I think it's all a matter of perspective which translation was better. And as far as I'm concerned, the original has more personality, and as I explained, I've been used to it forever.
Would you turn down an old friend because all of a sudden their was a new friend who was the "correct version" of your friend?

Haha that's a pretty poor analogy.  I prefer to think of it as this:  Say you saw Vincent van Gogh's The Starry Night the first time, and it was painted over with some really cool explosion in the top.  You thought, "Wow, that's cool."  Then you saw the original years later, with the artist's intentions preserved.  I would pick the one with the artist's intentions preserved.  

As far as his personality goes, he is certainly a thief, but that doesn't make him a hardened badass by default.  He's debonair and eloquent, more along the lines of a Zorro or some other suave outlaw.  That's how it was intended.  Of course I'm not going to deny you the right to enjoy the first translated version of him more.  No one can deny you that right.  Just saying, that wasn't the original artist's intention.

blaydcor said:
Also, if Ted Woolsey's translation was so "bad", why was the game so universally loved? I've NEVER seen complaints that the script was bad. Just the *translation*. Which means, as a standalone piece of work (not juxtaposed with its japanese counterpart) it is an effective, well written script.

I don't disagree with you; like you say, we're just arguing over semantics.  It's similar to when companies do edits to dialogue in English dubs of anime.  The intent may be similar, but the delivery changes.

Hates Nomura.

GooseGaws said:
I realize he's trying to protect Terra and Celes because he couldn't protect Rachel, but that's exactly what makes him the tragic, romantic gentleman. If he was a bitter, heartless thief, he wouldn't give a damn.
See, that's his character arc. Initially, he seems like a callous, heartless thief. And slowly, through his gruff kindness, etc, we realize he's more than that. We wonder why; the Rachel plot line finally explains all this. It's actually very excellent character devolepment; Locke's one of my favorites. 

naznatips said:
blaydcor said:
Being a roguish thief was personally my interpration of Locke. And, like I said, I think it's all a matter of perspective which translation was better. And as far as I'm concerned, the original has more personality, and as I explained, I've been used to it forever.
Would you turn down an old friend because all of a sudden their was a new friend who was the "correct version" of your friend?

Haha that's a pretty poor analogy. I prefer to think of it as this: Say you saw Vincent van Gogh's The Starry Night the first time, and it was painted over with some really cool explosion in the top. You thought, "Wow, that's cool." Then you saw the original years later, with the artist's intentions preserved. I would pick the one with the artist's intentions preserved.

As far as his personality goes, he is certainly a thief, but that doesn't make him a hardened badass by default. He's debonair and eloquent, more along the lines of a Zorro or some other suave outlaw. That's how it was intended. Of course I'm not going to deny you the right to enjoy the first translated version of him more. No one can deny you that right. Just saying, that wasn't the original artist's intention.

Could you quit throwing words into my mouth? Not once have I said I thought Locke was "hardened" or "badass". I said I saw him as more of a rogue with a gradually revealed softer side. It really is just semantics, as GooseGaws said.

Also I think the analogy serves my purpose. I was trying to say that I prefer my personal attachments to something over any alleged ''correct'' or ''official'' labels you can slap on it.

If we were going with your analogy, I think it woudl be more accurate like this:

There's a famous painting. Artist A does his own interpretation of it; it's regarded as not being true to the original. Years later, Artist B does a new interpretation; one which pays heavy homage to the original and is much more similar than A's.

Is right to write off Artist A's work as any less credible? 

blaydcor said:
GooseGaws said:
See, that's his character arc. Initially, he seems like a callous, heartless thief. And slowly, through his gruff kindness, etc, we realize he's more than that. We wonder why; the Rachel plot line finally explains all this. It's actually very excellent character devolepment; Locke's one of my favorites.

Locke is also one of my favorites, perhaps my most favorite.  I think he benefits from having more exposure than many of the other characters early on.

Hates Nomura.