By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - New thread up soon!

Ahead of E3, Microsoft registers "Xbox AB" domains

Just 60 days out from the annual trade show, Microsoft scoops up new domains for what could be an unannounced project.

by Eddie Makuch

Microsoft has registered new domain names for something called Xbox AB. The two new domain names, www.XboxAB.com and www.XboxAB.net, currently resolve to a Bing search page. According to WHOIS documents, Microsoft registered the domains yesterday, April 28.

The domain names were spotted by NeoGAF. We don't know anything else about what Xbox AB could be, but Microsoft's decision to scoop up the names comes just 60 days out from the 2014 Electronic Entertainment Expo. We have reached out to a Microsoft representative for comment.

One NeoGAF member guesses that AB could stand for Augmented Body. A leaked document from 2012 suggested Microsoft was working on some kind of augmented reality technology, and the company even recently reportedly paid as much as $150 million recently to acquire wearable technology assets.

Microsoft has previously promised that E3 2014 will be one Xbox fans won't want to miss. Could Xbox AB be part of their presentation? We'll find out in early June. E3 2014 runs June 10-12, but Microsoft is expected to hold in annual briefing on Monday, June 9.

source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ahead-of-e3-microsoft-registers-xbox-ab-domains/1100-6419285/

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Ryuu96 said:
jlmurph2 said:
iceland said:
This isn't even close for me. Halo Halo Halo Halo Halo Halooooooooooooo

So this tournament is for 2nd place right? lol Good thing Sunset Overdrive is at the bottom of the list

Lol Sunset Overdrive probably won't make it through to the next round without May 8th, luckily we should make it.... =P

I would vote Mass Effect over Sunset

Murdered: Soul Suspect  
Sunset Overdrive  

Oh man....you put Sunset up against Soul Suspect? That game looks really cool. Way to make it tough for me

Ryuu96 said:
tonyskate said:
Ryuu96 said:

So....if Nintendo aren't having a conference why can't Microsoft extend their 90 minutes? xD

I believe that they are restricted by the TV time slot. Hopefully we will get some announcement before and after the show on GameTrailers like the last year.

Oh Lol....can't they take Nintendos Slot? xD although they are probably only over by like 30 minutes anyway, won't be nothing huge

I'm not sure but I think that Nintendo never had a E3 live stream in TV.

Age of Halo Wars Empire!!!!!!

Ryuu96 said:
Angelus said:
Age Halo Wars Empire!!!!!!

Lol..I guess that would count as a new Ip xD 

I just don't get that comment...new AAA game within a well-loved game strategy franchise

Unless they are only saying New because it's been a while...Idk but it looks like this may be for a new studio because the role links into Studio Manager

Actually says they report to the studio manager... I think xD

I think you're thinking too deeply into it lol. New AAA title within a franchise can mean a sequel, prequel or reboot too. Doesn't have to be a new IP right? 

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
I wasn't going to post this but that last comment by a Bungie employee considering this Article =P

"A lot of people are going to buy Destiny on PS3 or Xbox 360 and then get a PS4 for Christmas" xD

plus is that the same anwser everyone gives to the perosn there ignoring when they are asked if you are ignoring them

That's pretty much what happens when a developer/publisher signs an exclusivity (in this case timed exclusivity) deal with someone. At this point they're contractually obligated not to talk about the Xbox version, because talking about that specific versionvisvakin to promoting it, and they're cup posed to be promoting the other version.

It's unfortunate, but this is what happens when these types of deals are made, but that's just how it is. Somebody always gets the short end of the stick.

That last quote in there you mentioned is prime example of how ridiculous it is

There's a date floating above this thread for me lol

Ryuu96 said:
iceland said:
There's a date floating above this thread for me lol

Always happens when I post stuff from that site ^

Doesn't really bother me but I will try get rid off it Loll

Wonder why that happens? As long as the Hot Topics button is functionable I don't really care lol

A different read on the Bungie and Xbox fans on Gamespot:

Bungie: We're not favoring PlayStation over Xbox for Destiny
"Who's ignoring you?" Bungie community manager says to a fan suggested the studio was favoring Sony over Microsoft.
eddienoteddy
by Eddie Makuch on April 28, 2014

Email Eddie

514 Comments

In Bungie's latest weekly update blog post, the Destiny developer denied a claim that it is favoring PlayStation over Xbox. A fan asked, "Will you guys give a nod to your Xbox fan base or just keep ignoring them?"

Bungie community manager David Dague responded, "Who's ignoring you? We're right here; making a game we hope you'll love. We're listening to your questions, and answering the ones we can. If you're a gamer who wants to play a Bungie game, you're very much on our mind-- every day."

It's not terribly surprising that the fan reached that conclusion. After all, Destiny was showcased at Sony's PlayStation 4 announcement event in February 2013 and then again at Sony's E3 media briefing later that year. Sony even teamed up with Bungie for a new PS4 commercial, and the beta for Destiny will begin this summer first on PlayStation 3 and PS4.

This is a dramatic about-face for Bungie, which is perhaps best known as a longtime wholly owned Microsoft studio, made famous for its Halo games that were released exclusively on PC and Xbox consoles. The studio would later regain its independence and sign a 10-year publishing arrangement with Call of Duty company Activision Publishing for their next major franchise, Destiny. It is Bungie's first multiplatform game in a decade.

We recently visited Bungie's offices and will have much more on Destiny later today. Destiny launches September 9 for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4.