By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom: PS3 harddrive install worth it!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Well, I guarntee you they learned their lesson from all the bitching. I doubt we'll see a game install to a hard-drive for a console, in the near future, when it's not absolutely necessary.

It's a shame, most of the bitching was from Xbox fanboys attempting to find some way to claim superiority on another multiplat.

It's gonna cost us quicker load times in the future.

Honestly, what ADHD non-functional retard can't leave their PS3 on for 20 minutes in exchange for even marginally quicker load times? That's about has honest as I can get.

Bitching about this is either: Pretend, or Retarded. Some people just look for excuses to bitch, I swear.

Well people can't have it both ways. For years I heard about how consoles were great compared to PCs because you could pop the game in and just play. Now that consoles games are being installed to the HDD it's great because it reduces load times.

Around the Network

It's a shame Sony couldn't have designed the PS3 to just stream and load from the HDD, the way the Xbox apparently did, or better yet, used RAM, as the Wii, GC, and the new PSP do.

Then you wouldn't need to install for load times.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Katilian said:

Well people can't have it both ways. For years I heard about how consoles were great compared to PCs because you could pop the game in and just play. Now that consoles games are being installed to the HDD it's great because it reduces load times.

But now your assuming that it's the same "people" who are saying the same things now >_>; I've NEVER given a crap about having to install a game. If anything, I think it's a great feature about PC's.

I HAVE been annoyed at long loading times however. I find it funny that theres so many people that "Have never noticed loading times", yet theres so many people here that don't mind an install to reduce them. Who's wrong or right? You should ask people who played Mass Effect if they'd have minded a 20 minute install to cut down on some of the ridiculous load sequences in that game. If IGN says that the install can reduce the load times by up to 66% then trust me I know which way I'd choose to go anyway.

So yes, some people are all in favor of the zomg I have to play this game immediately, jump in and play mindset, and some of us don't mind rushing in prepared to have an advantage. Capcom is foolish for not making it an option, but it's hardly the deal this particular thread wants it to be.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I have a choice if I want to DL it or not, as I have both consoles. I will be getting the PS3 version. How about you madskillz, what version will you get?

twesterm said:
MikeB said:

"While the game is loading, you get to watch a really nifty series of screens that completely catch you up on the DMC4 backstory. Think of it as compressing the last three 'seasons' into a single info blast, accompanied by some fantastic DMC artwork."

"the PS3 version of the game has near-Super Nintendo speed load times. You'll be amazed how fast levels load, the virtually instantaneous transition from cut scenes to action and that you’re continuously playing the game, as opposed to staring at loading screens of a door opening every time you move from one room to the next."

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/02/05/capcom-dont-worry-the-5gb-devil-may-cry-install-is-worth-it

That's what they wrote but this is what I saw:

"We're showing you 20 minutes of concept art since it's better than looking at just a progress bar. Hey, most new PC games today do this already so why shouldn't we?"

"By sacrificing a mere 20 minutes you're going to see mere seconds taken off of load times that you won't notice anyways!"

I think that Capcom claims of loadtimes having been significantly reduced is probably correct. IMO game media reports have been below standards much of the time.

robably the game has to load more data later on in the game, some reports claimed little difference between the two versions. Maybe the differences are greater for the later parts, the reading speed of DVDs are dependent on the location of the disc being read, for dual layer DVD discs on a 360 drive that's 10.8 MB/s for the outer edges but slows down to 4.1 MB/s for the inner layers. So if true the PS3 version may well be the better version to get.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
It's a shame Sony couldn't have designed the PS3 to just stream and load from the HDD, the way the Xbox apparently did, or better yet, used RAM, as the Wii, GC, and the new PSP do.

Uncharted : no load time, no HDD install

aspirin said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Uncharted : no load time, no HDD install

I don't see why games which 'require' HDD installation don't just do it dynamically. Basically, if the data isn't available on the HDD, copy it over in the background. You might need a small amount of the game copied over initially, but after that you'd be set. If it was smart, you could set it up to stream as far into the game as possible in the background until the entire data was copied, so it would be done within the first hour of the game.

Katilian said:

I don't see why games which 'require' HDD installation don't just do it dynamically. Basically, if the data isn't available on the HDD, copy it over in the background. You might need a small amount of the game copied over initially, but after that you'd be set. If it was smart, you could set it up to stream as far into the game as possible in the background until the entire data was copied, so it would be done within the first hour of the game.

While that's certainly a good idea on paper I think in reality it would cripple the already minimal ammounts of RAM the consoles have to offer. 

Maybe for a high-end PC game which would be run on something with... I don't know a minimum of 4GB's of RAM this may work? Other than that though it doesn't sound too feasible with this generation's hardware, on consoles at least.

Well for the time being the Gamerankings average (if is good for something) of both versions is PS3 (84.8%) | X360 (84.2%) (02/05/2007 2:00pm ET). No discernible difference... (the load times?)..

Wii code: 4679-4491-5808-6319,MKWii: 4296-3394-2843; Animal Crossing Wii: 3008-1736-4670.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Well, I guarntee you they learned their lesson from all the bitching. I doubt we'll see a game install to a hard-drive for a console, in the near future, when it's not absolutely necessary.

It's a shame, most of the bitching was from Xbox fanboys attempting to find some way to claim superiority on another multiplat.

It's gonna cost us quicker load times in the future.

Honestly, what ADHD non-functional retard can't leave their PS3 on for 20 minutes in exchange for even marginally quicker load times? That's about has honest as I can get.

Bitching about this is either: Pretend, or Retarded. Some people just look for excuses to bitch, I swear.

Oh yeah? Did it ever cross your mind a HDD has a limited capacity, especially the 20GB version? People need to delete their games if this nonsense continues.

I, for one, despise this "console turning into a PC" trend.