By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who needs Blu-Ray?

Obviously not the guys that made this tech demo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Eg3dBnsHk

It's a 3D tech demo of which you can download here - quite funny because it runs in real time and everything, and the total file size measures in at LESS than 200kb. THATS RIGHT.

If you have a decent computer I really suggest downloading this and running it on your PC, it shows what is capable with such a small amount of space, and quite honestly, it's pretty spectacular.

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=30244

*this thread is in no way dissing the PS3 or the Blu-Ray Player it is just a good way to name the thread considering the size that was able to be achieved with this*

EDIT - I just found another one by the same guy that built the tech demo above, however this is playable... under 100k... AMAZING!

http://pouet.net/prod.php?which=12036 

Around the Network

WOW

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Someone should get him in touch with the guys working on 360's GTAIV

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

It looks pretty but is not all that amazing ...

One of the things that takes up the most space in 3D videogame development is texture data. Procedural textures (computer generated textures) take up very little space while providing limitless resolution; the one problem is that it takes a developer weeks to come up with a good procedural texture.

One of my professors in university believed that the next stage in texture generation would be a hybrid approach where you created a palate of procedural textures (rather than colours) to paint your textures; theoritically speaking, the results would both look better and take less time then conventional approaches.

great demo

Around the Network

If that's how much you can put into such a small file, what can you do with Blu Ray??

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I have seen this video before and yes it's very impressive, but this has nothing to do with the need for Blu-Ray regarding games design, nor do I think this is really surprizing for anyone who followed the demoscene for a while. For example the Amiga has been at the forefront of the demoscene for many years producing incredible demos on double density [880kB] discs, the c64 scene has been big as well, they make it a challenge to impress people following the scene by making as impressive as possible demos with as little as possible code and as hardware becomes more powerful such as being able to calculate data faster and hardware offering more features more impressive things can be achieved with such little code.

But that doesn't mean Amiga games didn't expand in size eventually, for example Dune II was on of the first Command & Conquer clones available for any 1MB Amiga from the 80s and was only about 4 MB in total size. Despite the demoscene background and gathered knowledge by much of the Amiga developer community, a later RTS developed by Clickboom for more powerful Amigas called Napalm did indeed take a full CD just like many PC games did at the time, using 650 MBs of storage.

My point being the demos from the 80s, 90s and beyond have not made us stick to double density, high desity diskettes, CDs, etc. Niether does this demo say anything about game developer needs regarding more storage capacity.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

^ What he said.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Here are some questions and answers in my opinion.
For games from 2007-2012, how much space do they require....?
Is a 700MB CD enough?
Probably not.
Is a 7,000MB DVD enough?
Usually.
Is it OK to have games use multiple DVDs?
Yes.
Should you have to pay extra, upfront, to store up to 50Gigs per disc, just incase you need the space?
I personally don't feel comfortable with that.
I would rather have my console use multiple DVDs rather than putting an expensive new disk drive in my gaming system, just so I don't have to change the discs.

Agree with the comments about the demo scene - seen a lot of this stuff before (still think this is a great demo). I agree on BluRay - I think its a complete waste. As CPU power improves, so does compression, ability to generate procedural textures (etc..). So the need for additional storage space drops. Instead of BluRay, Sony should have developed an awesome new codec - that looks great, and needs the power of the CELL to run properly. 9Gig of (compressed) data is more than enough for this generation of games.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099