By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - computer help

During the night my power went out and now my computer won't turn on, i took it apart and cleaned all the dust out and still nothing.  The little light below the power plug on the back is flahing when its plugged in, so i think thats good.  But i'm not sure what to do, do i need to replace something or call some place to get it fixed.  Any advice would be wonderful, i'm not very smart with computers

Around the Network

Hmm...you might have fried something on your motherboard...you don't see any melted parts anywhere right?

Otherwise...it could still be your power supply...or your power cord. Do you have any spare power cords? They're universal, and you might have fried your cord or something. Otherwise, my guess is the power supply needs to get replaced...you can get a decent replacement for around $50 I bet.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

My bet is on the power supply. Cheap power supplies are very sensitive, especially if they're not behind an UPS or that other 'peak' thingy.

Also, does it make any beep? The fans turn on? Or nothing turns on at all?

I can get my hands on another power cord, so i will try that. I never saw anything melted or anything like that on the motherboard.

Nothing turns on at all, just the light on the back of the computer below the power plug, it makes a little ticking sound, but i figured that was just the light.

If i need to replace the power supply, is this something that is easy to do or would i need to phone a place to do it.

If you don't know about computers, you should let someone else do it... but learning is FUNdamental!

Around the Network

There is a fuse in the power supply. See if you can locate that and see whats up. If there was anything wrong with your motherboard or any other components, you computer should still try to bootup. Since nothing is happening I would say your power supply.

It's probably the Power Supply.

Well i tried the other power cord and nothing, but i remembered i got a 3year warranty with the computer and its not up yet so i'll phone best buy and get them to fix it.

Now you're all going to laugh at me for buying a computer from best buy, but i knew nothing back then, so i never knew how much i was getting screwed. But thanks for all the help guys.

Why? At least Best Buys service plan covers surges and damage from dust... if you want to bring it in they will even clean out the dust for you if you want lol, most manufacturer plans do not..

Yeah, if it's under warranty, more power to you. I wouldn't recommend most people buying computers from stores, but I understand most people don't know how to put one together.

So yeah, I'd try to get Best Buy to fix it...just watch out for hidden charges. If it's going to cost too much, I'd try to find a friend that knows how to put a power supply in a PC.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )