By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will JRPGs Die Next Generation?

What will happen to JRPGs?

They will be fine 89 54.27%

We won't have as much bu... 41 25.00%

The number of JRPGs will slowly dwindle away 21 12.80%

See results 13 7.93%

Total:164

With JRPG's like Kingdom Hearts 3 and X coming out, one can only hope that the genre would die out.

Around the Network
KingdomHeartsFan said:
rpgmaniac said:

Excuse me Sir but if KH is the first game that comes to your mind when u thinking about JRPGs u have completely the wrong idea of what a JRPG is & that goes not only to KH fans but to Demon/Dark Souls fans also, & those of u who r thinking "as long it comes out of JPN & it have some rpg elements in it, that makes it automaticaly a JRPG..." well.. NO!

Companies like SQUARESOFT, KONAMI, NAMCO, CAPCOM, LEVEL 5, SONY & others put the standards with games like FF series, Suikoden series, Tales of.. series, Breath of Fire series, Star Ocean series, Wild Arms series, this is just a few examples, what this games have in common? if u have play some of those games & compare them to KH for start u will understand immediately that they don't have anything in common & if u make a little research u will get eventually why a game like KH can't be called JRPG.

What oher next gen JRPG is there to use as an example...

As far as I know FFXV is not anymore a PS3 exclusive & it will be released in PS4 & XB1, so I think FFXV is the obvious better choice for a JRPG topic & not KH.

rpgmaniac said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
rpgmaniac said:

Excuse me Sir but if KH is the first game that comes to your mind when u thinking about JRPGs u have completely the wrong idea of what a JRPG is & that goes not only to KH fans but to Demon/Dark Souls fans also, & those of u who r thinking "as long it comes out of JPN & it have some rpg elements in it, that makes it automaticaly a JRPG..." well.. NO!

Companies like SQUARESOFT, KONAMI, NAMCO, CAPCOM, LEVEL 5, SONY & others put the standards with games like FF series, Suikoden series, Tales of.. series, Breath of Fire series, Star Ocean series, Wild Arms series, this is just a few examples, what this games have in common? if u have play some of those games & compare them to KH for start u will understand immediately that they don't have anything in common & if u make a little research u will get eventually why a game like KH can't be called JRPG.

As far as I know FFXV is not anymore a PS3 exclusive & it will be released in PS4 & XB1, so I think FFXV is the obvious better choice for a JRPG topic & not KH.

I think you need to read my original message again...

KingdomHeartsFan said:
rpgmaniac said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
rpgmaniac said:

Anyway it's too soon to talk about small-budget JRPGs don't u think? new consoles r not even out yet, & we have the same prob with current generation consoles anyway, how many years JRPG fans w8ing to get in their hands a JRPG worth playing? it wasn't until recently that JRPGs start comming out now that the next generation of consoles is just a few months away, 6-7 years pass before we see a game like Ni No Kuni & 1 Tales of.. game, so after experience all that frustration & disappointment in PS3 I don't have high expectations for the next generation but I will be glad if they keep releasing JRPGs in PS3, I don't care about playing a JRPG with "Deep Down"-like graphics, as long a JRPG is good in everything else graphics like those from Star Ocean: The Last Hope is more than enough for me.

rpgmaniac said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
rpgmaniac said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:
rpgmaniac said:

Anyway it's too soon to talk about small-budget JRPGs don't u think? new consoles r not even out yet, & we have the same prob with current generation consoles anyway, how many years JRPG fans w8ing to get in their hands a JRPG worth playing? it wasn't until recently that JRPGs start comming out now that the next generation of consoles is just a few months away, 6-7 years pass before we see a game like Ni No Kuni & 1 Tales of.. game, so after experience all that frustration & disappointment in PS3 I don't have high expectations for the next generation but I will be glad if they keep releasing JRPGs in PS3, I don't care about playing a JRPG with "Deep Down"-like graphics, as long a JRPG is good in everything else graphics like those from Star Ocean: The Last Hope is more than enough for me.

I think were gonna see a lot more of the Tales of series, recently its honestly been pumping out games, got Tales of Xillia this year, Tales of Symphonia HD and Tales of Xilla 2 next year.  I wouldn't say JRPGs only started coming only recently I mean look at Tales of Vesperia, Tales of Graces f, The Lost Odessy, Disgaea 3 and 4, Eternal Sonata, White Knight Chronicles 1 and 2, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Resonance of Fate and Valkyria Chronicles, just off the top of my head.  All those are at least 2 or 3 years old I'm pretty sure.  If I actually looked some up I bet that list would be way longer.

Around the Network

I hope not! Surely they will be around but i think most will go portable.

As much rehashed NIS crap and Compile Heart garbage that we get, I can say no, JRPGs won't die. They'll just rarely be any good. Gust also comes out with a lot and while I won't say they're bad, they're not good either. They're decent. Namco Bandai has been pretty good this gen with what's came out so far, and Xillia and Xillia 2 are coming out. I'd say they were the best this gen when it came to RPGs, not including handhelds.

Handhelds have dominated the RPG market and 3DS and Vita both show that to continue next gen as well. Square Enix had meager console offerings but their handheld games were pretty good, even if most of them were remakes and ports, but they had the biggest quantity of atleast decent and sometimes really good games on handhelds. A lot of games from well known/lesser developers or a few from big name developer/publishers here and there.

Tales of will definitely show up on next gen console(s)

Other than that though, I see most of them migrating to Vita and 3DS. Honestly, the Vita is more than adequate for the genre.

If games like Demon/Dark Souls and Dragon's Dogma are considered JRPGs (cause they were made in Japan), than I think IPs like that will actually rise in popularity.

JRPGs have a long history of selling handheld consoles, so there's that. On home consoles, it'll be the same as this generation. Every once in a while, home consoles will get a meaty JRPG with decent-enough production values in addition to a litany of smaller games with dedicated fanbases.

I think we're well past the age of big first and second-party RPGs beyond the usual big-name franchises. We're lucky to even get X, as we all know that Nintendo isn't the patron saint of pushing recently-developed first-party IPs.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero