By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Open letter to Firaxis

I just posted this on their feedback section. 

RE: Wii Civilization development cancelled. 

I am beyond disappointed and frankly pissed off at your decision to cancel the Wii version. I understand that you, and the rest of the ignorant world, didn't see the Wii as an eminent success, however, it was completely obvious by mid-2007. First you push aside Spore, now this. 

I cannot believe your company is being so short sighted and putting a game like Civilization on two consoles that use controls that are not suited well to this type of game. A Civ game is perfectly suited for the DS and Wii due to their controls. By the end of this year the only non-PC platform with a larger user base than the Wii will be the DS. In fact I am fairly certain the Wii’s user base will be greater than the 360 + PS3. 

I have purchased every single Civ game and expansion since Civ II Gold edition. I absolutely love the franchise, but this complete lack of forward thinking has really burnt me. This franchise has caused me more sleepless nights than anything else. However, I can honestly say that if the Wii does not see a quality Civ title in a reasonable time frame from the other junk HD machines releases; I will not be purchasing another Firaxis game. 

The Wii is the NES, SNES, PS1, PS2 of this generation. It will outsell the all other Nintendo consoles and quite possibly the Playstations as well. Take a good look at the data found at www.vgchartz.com and properly analyze the graphs, if you don’t think this site is accurate, just compare their totals to the various quarterly reports. You’re betting on the wrong horse(s). 

If you want to push the envelope and pixel count, stick to PC’s. Consoles are for pure enjoyment and ease of use. PS3 and 360 are losing because they are the niche machine for teenage kids who only care about shiny toys. Wii and DS are for people who want to play games and have fun. That is why they are outselling the competition by huge margins. The sooner you 3rd parties realize this the sooner you will be comfortably in the black like Nintendo.

Around the Network

Preach on brotha, preach on.

Spore is Maxis not firaxis

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Sensationalist, but at least you got your point across.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Avinash_Tyagi said:

meh, sid meier did both. Plus, aren't they partners or one owns the other, etc?

Around the Network

Spore: From Will Wright who also developed Sims

Civi: From Sid Meier (Civi, Pirates, Colo, Silent Service, Railroad Tycoon, Alpha Centauri)

So at least Spore isn't their fault.

nice angry letter, got your point across, if civalisation on wii comes back we all know who to thank.

superchunk said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

meh, sid meier did both. Plus, aren't they partners or one owns the other, etc?

0_o

Will Wright is the man behind Maxis, the Sim games, and Spore, not Sid Meier.

DAMNIT. How did I get that mixed. up. Oh well. my bad. Maybe I should have posted here first for fact checking. :)

yeah that's like one of the first things you said, you just insta-lose credibility from the start.

I see where you're coming from, but I honestly don't care

I have Civ4 + expansions on my PC and I'm satisfied.

What do these games have over CIV4 PC?

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout