By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Civilization Wii was canceled: Developers didn't expect wii success

Good point Sulla. I hope Firaxis at least planning on allowing mouse to be used with PS3/360. No matter to me since I can play Civ4 with a mouse on my HDTV relaxing on the sofa. So another point, a lot ps3/360 owners has HDTV so can easily play civ4 anyways. The whole success of Rev will be if multiplayer sales or not.

Today I going to be playing Sin of the Solar Empire on my HDTV. :) 

Around the Network
Sky Render said:
Yeah, console versions of strategy games just aren't that great, what with the lack of a pointer device. Oh wait.

Seriously, why did it not occur to them that the Wii was better suited to a Civ game than 360 and PS3? Developers confuse me sometimes...

My guess would be that the project was first started before the Wii's remote was know, and they assumed Nintendo's console would be in 3rd place, but that is pure speculation, and probably only 50% likely looking at the respective game/console launch dates.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

I always thought take 2 would be one of the devopers to miss the Wii boat the by the most, the next I always said would be Konami.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Idiots... those developers I mean!

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

MANUELF said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_(series)
Thank You, it serie have many games, with poor sales, I understand it cancelation

You sir, are an idiot.

Civilization is widely regarded as one of the greatest games ever made. Perhaps the reason you are not familiar with it is that, unlike the Pokemon or Mario games you appear to favour, Civilization actually requires you to think.

Around the Network
Played_Out said:
MANUELF said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Thank You, it serie have many games, with poor sales, I understand it cancelation

You sir, are an idiot.

Civilization is widely regarded as one of the greatest games ever made. Perhaps the reason you are not familiar with it is that, unlike the Pokemon or Mario games you appear to favour, Civilization actually requires you to think.

We can all agree that the Civ series is a great series, but do you really have to bash these games? Mario may be shallow, I agree, but if you think Pokemon is shallow its either you haven't played the game, or you just played it casually.

Video Game Papercrafts

The only reason Sakurai allowed Snake is because he was already a clone

Wii Friend Code: 2854 9908 3926 2816

CrashMan said:
Sky Render said:
Yeah, console versions of strategy games just aren't that great, what with the lack of a pointer device. Oh wait.

Seriously, why did it not occur to them that the Wii was better suited to a Civ game than 360 and PS3? Developers confuse me sometimes...

My guess would be that the project was first started before the Wii's remote was know, and they assumed Nintendo's console would be in 3rd place, but that is pure speculation, and probably only 50% likely looking at the respective game/console launch dates.

Your answer is too complicated, CrashMan. The more correct answer is money. Money is the biggest motivator. And I am not talking sales. I am talking corporate business.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Kinda a big blow for Civ fans. I think this game could of worked really well on the Wii. I was probably going to try it because it look more interesting to me than the other Civ games.(AoE kind of guy)

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Played_Out said:
MANUELF said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

You sir, are an idiot.

I understand your need to defend it, but I believe it's uncalled for here. The games haven't sold spectacularly... They've sold 5 million units in fourteen years on the market. So, don't insult the man over it.

The BuShA owns all!

They haven't completely cancelled it yet if you read articles more carefully. They have put it on hold to finish 360/PS3 versions. IF other versions are successful then production of Wii version could actually continue where it was left. Cancellation and putting on hold are two different things.