By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I'm in San Francisco! Any tips?

Just got here, I'll be here for 9 days. Anyone familiar in SF or know some cool spots? This city is huge and very square... I'm by myself so a little scared of getting lost.

Around the Network

They have a huge mall and you can usually get at least 4 street passes from the Game Stop on Market street (across from the mall). Twin Peaks is a hot spot that people like to go at night and Muir woods is really cool too. Fisherman's Warf is a big tourists spot.

SF is my town.

What are you interested in seeing?

Maybe I should say what are your interests, other than gaming of course. 

For souvenirs and good chinese food you should definitely check out china town. A walk across the golden gate bridge is also something I recommend. If you are a baseball fan, you should check out AT&T park. It's one of the best baseball stadiums thanks to its location/ atmosphere. Golden gate park is also really nice, plus there are some great museums there.

There's always Pier 39. Kinda of a big tourist trap, but cool shops and attractions there for a half-day thing.

Giants baseball games are also fun.

If you like history, I STRONGLY recommend Alcatraz if you can find tickets.

Around the Network

Don't worry about getting lost, that's the most fun! I also live in SF, so just say what you're interested in and I/we can guide you.

Only thing I'd say to avoid as a first time tourist is a neighborhood known as "The Tenderloin."

But, in general:

Alcatraz
Twin Peaks
GG Bridge if that's your thing (biking across to grab dinner in Marin County can be nice)
EAT
DRINK
I like to just wander to neighborhoods and wander around to see what places there are to eat/drink.

greenmedic88 said:

SF is my town.

I like places with lots of activity, like bars, clubs, shops. I'm also interested in nature, parks, beautiful places to see and walk through. I'm definitely open for other things as well, although I don't care for American sports.

Things on my to do list: fisherman's warf, yosemite national, park golden gate park, golden gate bridge, alcatraz, san francisco museum of modern art, china town.

Use condoms

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
Use condoms

I knew hippies had poor hygiene, but aids?

Chrizum said:
greenmedic88 said:

SF is my town.

I like places with lots of activity, like bars, clubs, shops. I'm also interested in nature, parks, beautiful places to see and walk through. I'm definitely open for other things as well, although I don't care for American sports.

Things on my to do list: fisherman's warf, yosemite national, park golden gate park, golden gate bridge, alcatraz, san francisco museum of modern art, china town.

Nightlife then. Sounds like you already have the "Top Ten Things to See When You're In San Francisco" list down.

Noticed you have MoMa on there; consider checking out the Legion of Honor. Lots of great pieces and exhibits. De Young Museum is in GG Park while you're there. May as well check out Ocean Beach while you're in the park although it's quite a ways West. GG Park is pretty large. Consider checking out the Presidio; Palace of Fine Arts if it's not already on your list.

As far as nightlife goes, it totally depends upon your musical tastes and the evening you're going out. A lot of clubs and bars host weekly or monthly theme night events depending upon the day of the week. 

If you give me a list of music you listen to, I could throw out some suggestions, assuming it's something relatively familiar. 

Check:

http://www.sfweekly.com/

http://www.sfbg.com/

They'll have a listing of all that's going on during the week, entertainment wise. Lots of live shows, club shows, etc. going on any given day of the week. 

SoMa (South of Market) and The Mission are generally the trendiest places for clubs, music, etc. 

I don't know what kind of shops you're looking for. Boutiques? Fashion Mall? I have no idea what you're looking to buy or if you just want souvenirs to bring back. 

Westfield Centre off Market St. is the largest mall in the city. You might want to check out the Sony Metreon while you're in that neighborhood. It's mostly built around a huge theatre. 

There are a lot of boutiques and what not in the Mission District. You'll probably want to walk down Haight St.; lots of little shops there, plus it's one of those things you do when visiting SF.