By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Gaming Everything

IGN published a new preview about D4 earlier today. It houses a little bit of extra information, which we’ve rounded up below.

- Murder mystery game
- Main character David has lost his memory
- David can dive into the past to solve crimes (wife’s murder)
- David refers to his wife as ‘little Peggy,’
- Interactions between characters are deliberately weird, with bizarre facial expressions and glances held for uncomfortably long moments
- Swery says “this one’s also a little bit weird.”
- Plays a bit like a modern point and click adventure
- Ex: within the demo’s passenger jet setting you can investigate the world in a number of ways, bringing up information about people and objects, and choosing responses when in conversation
- Action sequences are choreographed, but will play out with a few different variations based on how well players follow the on-screen cues
- Made for next-gen Kinect from ground up
- Players mimic on-screen gestures during action sequences and can simply speak their chosen option during conversations
- Designed to be played sitting down
- Xbox One controller will be supported
- Episodic structure
- David’s quest to solve his wife’s murder is the overarching story arc
- Digital-only
- Planning on releasing it episode by episode only
- In order to jump into the past, David has to touch mementos that are connected to memories he wants to investigate
- David: “The day little Peggy died, I managed to survive, through some miracle. In exchange for my memories, I got this skill. This has to be some kind of revelation, but I plan to use this skill to find a memento that can take me back to that day, so I can save my wife.”
- D4 name: in addition to Dark Dreams Don’t Die, it “also comes from the fact that the main character’s special skill is to go back into the past, so it’s the fourth dimension… Also, in the game, ‘D’, the initial, is going to be a key word, and it’s going to have lots of important meanings.”
- One sequence: meet a stewardess that looks exactly like David’s dead wife who alludes to being on the same “side” as him; meet a scarred bald man who demands to know how David got on the plane
- Throughout these conversational vignettes the screen regularly splits into two or three frames, showing various elements of the scene from different angles
- Climax of the sequence is a fight between David and Zapatero
- They struggle up and down the aisle, with the game moving in and out of slow motion
- David screams into a megaphone in Zapatero’s face and the cord from an air mask is used as an impromptu garrotte. – There’s also a delightful move mid-way through the battle where our hero is pushed back into a stewardess
- Players who nail the timing on the input see him turn smoothly and grasp her hands as if she were a dancing partner, pirouetting on the spot to get past
- It all ends with Zapatero disappearing amidst a blinding flash of light

Source

Around the Network

Honestly how awesome is this game going to be?

Deadly premonition is my top 10 games last gen and the only issue people can have with it is production. With Microsoft fronting the bill for production and publishing this is going to be beyond amazing... Cant wait.

'Xbox One controller will be supported'

As oppose to not being? Does he mean it won't be fully kinect (is it at all) or the rumble triggers or something?

Or is he just saying it's a controller game?

Looking forward to this one.

The Kinect thing turns me off a bit. But it's gonna be awesome.

Around the Network

@Seece and Wright
The source states the controller is supported for people not interested in Kinect.

It reads like a combination of game mechanics from To the moon, The walking dead and Heavy rain. Are they sure it's going to be digital only, sounds like something worth buying a disc for when all episodes are finished.

This is the second coming of Jesus. This game will be awesome, we should never doubt the talent of Swery 65... Okay maybe not but I think it will be a decent game. I hope it has the same humor as Deadly Premonition xD

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Sounds awesome!

sounds interesting to me

How our favorite systems are just like humans and sometimes have issues finding their special someone...

Xbox 360 wants to KinectPS3 wants to Move!  Why are both systems having such relationship problems?  The reason is they both become so infactuated with desire while watching the Wii as it waggles on by. They simply want what they can't have.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

this is the all in one game of what I expect from MS XB1.... chapter release of DD only game and Kinect interaction in a non causal game with an actual storyline.... I expected those things coming in different shape or forms not bundled all of it in one game but that's what I look for in that next generation and so far I don't see Sony doing most of it....
on PS4 it's just gonna be great looking games with not much evolution of concept and distribution method.... while the old ways are great I think it is time to try to do even better, than just do more of the same in a better package....