By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Alienware 34 QD-OLED gaming monitor ships in early spring for $1,300

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/alienware-34-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-ships-early-spring-for-1300/?utm_source=reddit.com

OMG THAT IS CHEAP. Like what the fuck Dell!

That's insane price for a top tier QD-OLED gaming monitor. Just wow!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Someone clearly forgot to add the Alienware tax... but I wouldn't call a $1,300 monitor cheap by any means.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I should say relatively cheap. Asus 32 Inch 4k MinLED last year costed $3000. Hell the Asus IPS panel that I bought last year costed $1000. The Alienware QD-OLED shits on both.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Wow that's darn affordable price for an OLED monitor. Never mind a high end gaming one from Alienware. Bodes well for other monitors using the same or similar panels.

Looking forward to see hands with these vs standard WOLEDs on TV's.

Captain_Yuri said:

I should say relatively cheap. Asus 32 Inch 4k MinLED last year costed $3000. Hell the Asus IPS panel that I bought last year costed $1000. The Alienware QD-OLED shits on both.

Yeah, just because one it's hella expensive doesn't mean that the other is cheap. It only makes it less expensive.

In any case, I don't expect to see a lot of monitors with those panels given the info we got this week, saying that Samsung only manages to get a 30% yield on the front-end of the production, meaning that it's even lower once the whole panel is finished.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yeah, just because one it's hella expensive doesn't mean that the other is cheap. It only makes it less expensive.

In any case, I don't expect to see a lot of monitors with those panels given the info we got this week, saying that Samsung only manages to get a 30% yield on the front-end of the production, meaning that it's even lower once the whole panel is finished.

Yea I get the feeling it's gonna get scalped pretty heavily. I am gonna attempt to buy one but I might have to bring out my bag of tricks when this comes out.

Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

Yea I get the feeling it's gonna get scalped pretty heavily. I am gonna attempt to buy one but I might have to bring out my bag of tricks when this comes out.

Reading comments on tech websites, Reddit, Youtube etc it looks like a lot of people want one and will mostly likely sell out fast. Like this is pretty much the first 'low' priced OLED monitor to launch, so I think you may be right. I'm even awfully tempted to upgrade my G7 to that. Or to Samsung's Odyssey G8QNB - which uses the same panel.

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Reading comments on tech websites, Reddit, Youtube etc it looks like a lot of people want one and will mostly likely sell out fast. Like this is pretty much the first 'low' priced OLED monitor to launch, so I think you may be right. I'm even awfully tempted to upgrade my G7 to that. Or to Samsung's Odyssey G8QNB - which uses the same panel.

This honestly feels like an Ampere/RDNA 2 moment where I was thinking this would be north of $5,000 but it ended up being only $1,300. PC gamers have been getting rekt with shitty monitors and their shat prices. Asus Mini-LED VA ultrawide monitors for a couple years ago with stupid amounts of ghosting and other nonsense costed $2000+ USD. Asus Mini-LED legit last year with so many issues costs $3000 USD. Samsungs Neo G9 costs $2500 and the list went on. All while LG is able to sell their OLED tvs for $1200-$1500 that runs circles around PC monitors with the biggest downside being their size.

Outcomes Alienware, a brand known to be overpriced, with a panel technology that will circles around even the best LG OLED TVs of this year for a fap worthy price. QD-OLED technology are going to be in TVs that will cost $8000+ USD this year. For the first time in a long time, PC gamers finally get to enjoy a monitor with flagship panel technology for relatively cheap price. Yes $1,300 is expensive but this is equivalent to buying Ferrari for the price of a Toyota Camry.

On top of that, it comes with Alienware's Advanced Exchange warranty that covers burn-in for 3 years. Like 90% of the stores where you can buy a OLED TV does not come with burn-in warranty. Yet Alienware is not only going to include it with an already crazy low price, it's going to be for 3 years!

Like idk what caused Alienware to make this decision but holy fuck. This is the type of news that really makes me excited. Hopefully this will force the other monitor manufacturers to bring down their prices. Cause for $1,300, there's 0 point in buying anything else that's not QD-OLED at this price point.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 12 February 2022

JEMC said:

Intel's bet on those E-cores could come back to bite them in the ass given because they're also quite power hungry and, all things considered, more people would prefer a couple extra P-cores (and threads) over 8 extra E-cores.

Intel just needs to go the chiplet route.

Make an 4-6-8 core Intel Atom core complex as a chiplet... And then make 4-5-8 Performance core chiplet.

Then they can mix and match depending on market and price point.

Plus Atom is far more energy efficient... It's garbage as a standalone CPU, but they are more efficient.

Captain_Yuri said:

Intel 12th Gen Alder Lake Starts Replacing AMD Ryzen Chips In Retailer Top-Selling CPU Charts, Desktop & Notebook Share Climbs In Q4 2021

https://wccftech.com/intel-12th-gen-alder-lake-displaces-amd-ryzen-chips-in-retailer-top-selling-cpu-charts-desktop-notebook-share-climbs-in-q4-2021/

The tides are turning towards Intel's favor. I think AMDs actions over the past year or two certainly damaged their "we are the good guys" brand that they were going for. Now that we have seen what it looks like when AMD is competitive, I don't think anyone should be making excuses for them.

Honestly, the current market is unprecedented. Even if AMD had another AMD Bulldozer mistake, they would still sell everything they could make and still be over priced.

Either way, we have been down this road before with the Athlon 64, where AMD's chip prices rose relative to Thunderbird and K7... Because AMD was competitive with the Pentium 4 and Pentium D and thus they could increase margins.

And now that AMD is back, they need to invest big in R&D to remain competitive with Intel.

Xilinix will help big time with some strong cash flow.

Either way... I am happy with my Ryzen 9, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 32 Core Ryzen 7950X... DDR5, PCI-E 5.0 come at me.

Crysis still looks the goods even after 15 years. Remastered version of course. All settings (Including Ray Tracing) on max.
I haven't done a playthrough since I was running 4x Radeon 6950's modded into 6970's at a resolution of 7680x1440... Which is a higher resolution than 4k... So definitely a step back to 2560x1440. But.. FPS is anywhere between 100-144fps with much higher visual fidelity.
It's managing about 30% load on my Ryzen 9 on two CPU cores it seems. Not even hitting 5ghz...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Captain_Yuri said:
hinch said:

This honestly feels like an Ampere/RDNA 2 moment where I was thinking this would be north of $5,000 but it ended up being only $1,300. PC gamers have been getting rekt with shitty monitors and their shat prices. Asus Mini-LED VA ultrawide monitors for a couple years ago with stupid amounts of ghosting and other nonsense costed $2000+ USD. Asus Mini-LED legit last year with so many issues costs $3000 USD. Samsungs Neo G9 costs $2500 and the list went on. All while LG is able to sell their OLED tvs for $1200-$1500 that runs circles around PC monitors with the biggest downside being their size.

Outcomes Alienware, a brand known to be overpriced, with a panel technology that will circles around even the best LG OLED TVs of this year for a fap worthy price. QD-OLED technology are going to be in TVs that will cost $8000+ USD this year. For the first time in a long time, PC gamers finally get to enjoy a monitor with flagship panel technology for relatively cheap price. Yes $1,300 is expensive but this is equivalent to buying Ferrari for the price of a Toyota Camry.

On top of that, it comes with Alienware's Advanced Exchange warranty that covers burn-in for 3 years. Like 90% of the stores where you can buy a OLED TV does not come with burn-in warranty. Yet Alienware is not only going to include it with an already crazy low price, it's going to be for 3 years!

Like idk what caused Alienware to make this decision but holy fuck. This is the type of news that really makes me excited. Hopefully this will force the other monitor manufacturers to bring down their prices. Cause for $1,300, there's 0 point in buying anything else that's not QD-OLED at this price point.

Yeah at this price it kinda makes everything else a joke in comparison. And that comparison is apt. It could be the turning point like how people have moved on from LCD to OLEDs on phones. And this could be the start.

Granted $1300 is still quite a sum of money like you said its cutting edge tech for sensible cost. Makes me think that these panels are a lot more cost effective from Samsung than LG. Or that LG had been way overcharging OEM's on the large OLED's or something.

And that burn in exchange program is nuts. I don't think I've seen any other manufacter offer any service like that without taking up a premium after sales service.

Really interest to see how Samsung and other manufacter price their OLEDs. Because Alienware has all eyes on them ATM and rightfully so!