By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Techspot reviews the 6800M with normal RAM so it's more apples to apples comparison

https://www.techspot.com/review/2268-amd-radeon-6800m/

"110W during CPU limited gaming with the 5900HX cranked up to 70W, and as high as 160W in really GPU limited situations with the CPU just sipping power at 20W. Despite featuring such a wide power range, in practice most games pegged the GPU between 130W and 150W of power draw, with the CPU therefore sitting between 50W and 30W. "

There we go, overall still slower than a 3080M but least able to average it out at 1080p but considering the price difference, it makes sense.  It's about 10-13% faster than a 3070M but the 3070M is also power limited to 130 Watt. This laptop does come with a 1080p screen wheres most 3080 laptops come with 1440p screens.

NVIDIA launches GeForce RTX 3070 Ti with 6144 CUDA cores and 8GB GDDR6X memory at 599 USD

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-launches-geforce-rtx-3070-ti-with-6144-cuda-cores-and-8gb-gddr6x-memory-at-599-usd

While not the best deal, I guess it no longer matters cause the alternative is to either wait or buy one at 3x the MSRP. The videos of people waiting in line to spend $1200 and $600 are nuts.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 10 June 2021

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I saw the video of the people rushing at Microcentre and it's utterly shameless. Reminds me of the mobs who rush for Black Friday sales. Betting a lot of those people are scalpers since you can resell them at double the MSRP.

Thought about getting one and but passing on this. Between how poor for efficiency they are (and since its getting darn hot in the UK), 8GB VRAM and low value for money it gives. Might reconsider a new GPU when BF 2042 is nearing release though.

Funny because all Techtubers are panning the Ti models including GN. Who recently did a scathing review of the 3070Ti saying it not worth it unless you're buying to scalp, or have no working PC/GPU whatsoever.

Last edited by hinch - on 10 June 2021

bro if it saves me paying triple you bet ill rush the mediamarkt

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

hinch said:

I saw the video of the people rushing at Microcentre and it's utterly shameless. Reminds me of the mobs who rush for Black Friday sales. Betting a lot of those people are scalpers since you can resell them at double the MSRP.

Thought about getting one and but passing on this. Between how poor for efficiency they are (and since its getting darn hot in the UK), 8GB VRAM and low value for money it gives. Might reconsider a new GPU when BF 2042 is nearing release though.

Funny because all Techtubers are panning the Ti models including GN. Who recently did a scathing review of the 3070Ti saying it not worth it unless you're buying to scalp, or have no working PC/GPU whatsoever.

Yea pretty much. I think Linus is the only one that's been giving rave reviews for both the 3080 Ti and 3070 Ti and his logic is, it's slightly faster for $600 compared to today's MSRP so get one! But to me, that's kinda nonsense cause those that are watching the reviews are probably going to wait until the prices normalize anyway before picking one up. And yea, the 8GB is a bit too low for it's price bracket. Ironically the laptop version of the 3070 Ti, the 3080 mobile has a 16GB option with the same cuda count but granted lower bandwidth ram. If the 3070 Ti had 16GB of vram, even with it's slight increase in performance, I think it's added price would have been a lot more justifiable.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Digital Foundry Unreal Engine 5 Hands-On: Demo Analysis + Performance Benchmarks

- Temporal Super Resolution from 1080p looks good in stills but has noticable artifacts when moving that DLSS might be able to clear up once it gets implemented

- More noticeable on PC than it would be on a TV that's far away
- PS5/Series X are targeting 1080p 30fps
- Nanite Cost is 2X more in their new demo than the demo they showed last year running on the ps5
- Some assets look low resolution in this demo but that's on purpose to show off high vs low quality mesh
- No pop ins in this demo
- 648p TSR to 4k looks surprisingly good
- Demo doesn't pre-cache shaders or anything so the first time running this demo will stutter but second time, it will run fine
- Level transition takes about 5 seconds and that's without Direct Storage

Performance:

- This is early access so there's still lots of optimizations that will come into play in the final release
- CPU performance on Nvidia GPUs prefer single core performance. 10900k 10% faster 5950x. 3600 below 60fps in this demo
- On CPU limited scenarios, 6800XT is around 5% faster than a 3090 on his 10900k
- PC version of UE5 currently has less optimizations than the consoles version which they are working on to implement

GPU Settings: Epic settings 1080p Internal TSR to 4k
- 3080 Founders vs XFX 6800 XT Merc, the 6800 XT is 5-12% faster but the 6800 XT is factory overclocked by 6%
- Both GPUs dip below 60fps
- 2060 Super vs 5700, 2060 Super is faster by up to 10% at 1080p TSR to 4k but both dips below 30fps
- Going to need a 2070 Super to run this demo above 30fps
- Uses 4-5GB of Vram

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 10 June 2021

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea pretty much. I think Linus is the only one that's been giving rave reviews for both the 3080 Ti and 3070 Ti and his logic is, it's slightly faster for $600 compared to today's MSRP so get one! But to me, that's kinda nonsense cause those that are watching the reviews are probably going to wait until the prices normalize anyway before picking one up. And yea, the 8GB is a bit too low for it's price bracket. Ironically the laptop version of the 3070 Ti, the 3080 mobile has a 16GB option with the same cuda count but granted lower bandwidth ram. If the 3070 Ti had 16GB of vram, even with it's slight increase in performance, I think it's added price would have been a lot more justifiable.

His argument is that its a decent price at the current market conditions (which to be fair, is somewhat true) but as a reviewer and owner of a huge channel and equally large audience, its quite irresponsible to recommend product/s that offers so little (even to their own existing 70 and 80's) and so poor value for money. Just because a company releases something, and is in stock doesn't mean its good and that you should buy it. Imagine if Sony or Microsoft released a Pro model now with so barely offering anything new but $100 more. Is it a good product because its in stock?

Linus has some good videos and are entertaining buts he need to stop with these enabling videos. Nvidia are treating its end users like trash with moves like this and they know they can get away with it because people are willing to spend (or overspend) over the odds to actually get something.

And yeah, its odd they put more more VRAM in laptops maybe its because there is less demand for gaming laptops for gamers. 8GB VRAM is not enough for a $500 card nevermind $600 one, and Nvidia double downs on it and replacing with GDDR6X, meaning poorer efficiency - by 30%! They should have just slapped 12GB of VRAM on the 3070Ti and 16 on the 3080Ti and called it a day.

JEMC said:

Thursday news, part two:

Report: Don't expect a new Call of Duty reveal at this year's E3
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/report-dont-expect-a-new-call-of-duty-reveal-at-this-years-e3/
Call of Duty's next entry, rumoured to bring the series back to World War 2 under the assumed title "Vanguard", won't be making an appearance at this year's E3 according to VGC.

Ew another WW1-II CoD. They should really stop doing those.

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

His argument is that its a decent price at the current market conditions (which to be fair, is somewhat true) but as a reviewer and owner of a huge channel and equally large audience, its quite irresponsible to recommend product/s that offers so little (even to their own existing 70 and 80's) and so poor value for money. Just because a company releases something, and is in stock doesn't mean its good and that you should buy it. Imagine if Sony or Microsoft released a Pro model now with so barely offering anything new but $100 more. Is it a good product because its in stock?

Linus has some good videos and are entertaining buts he need to stop with these enabling videos. Nvidia are treating its end users like trash with moves like this and they know they can get away with it because people are willing to spend (or overspend) over the odds to actually get something.

And yeah, its odd they put more more VRAM in laptops maybe its because there is less demand for gaming laptops for gamers. 8GB VRAM is not enough for a $500 card nevermind $600 one, and Nvidia double downs on it and replacing with GDDR6X, meaning poorer efficiency - by 30%! They should have just slapped 12GB of VRAM on the 3070Ti and 16 on the 3080Ti and called it a day.

Yea pretty much. Cause unless you were able to get a 3080 Ti or 3070 Ti within the first 5 seconds after they launched, the whole "it's a good value in the current market conditions" point that Linus made is moot. Cause now it's all terrible pricing again... Yet you just know some person is going to watch his review and think, oh wow, he's saying it's such a good deal when in reality it's not. The worst part is, imagine for their next gen GPUs, Nvidia and AMD took into account mining and scalpers when pricing their GPUs. It would be horrible landscape and that's the type of thinking is what we need to stop. It's why every reviewer need to call them out when they do have bad MSRPs because if reviewers don't even in the current market, then next time, it will get worse.

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

If there's one thing I've noticed from Linus over the years, it's that he actually doesn't know economics all that well. He assume "what the market will bear", not that it's the sodding 10% that are buying them up vs the 90% that either cannot afford them thanks to stupidly high prices, or cannot find them because of low production, and Linus just chalks this up to what he thinks is currently acceptable. 

All other reviews slander the price vs perf ratio, but Linus doesn't all that much and even makes excuses for why it's like that, which makes me see him as the odd one out and wrong at that.

1080ti I bought cost me around £700ish brand new sometime back in 2017. Yes that was a tad expensive but it wasn't as high as the Titan or Titan X, and that's why I have major gripes with his "this is the current market" bs, because I know damn well that the 3080, 3080ti and 3090 all shouldn't be so high up in those prices. it's primarily thanks to the chip shortage, Nvidia just rolling with their greed and scalpers that have created this major problem of higher prices. Linus needs to own up to that and I know it takes him forever to realise mistakes like these. 

I used to look up to the guy for years, but that slowly changed when I saw what he was like vs Gamer Nexus. Linus has become more talk and big on 4k/8k and gimmicky shit, while GN is more about the technical aspects, the kind of info we actually like/want from a techie channel, and Linus is just there, gawping at stupidly huge screens, his own custom shit at his own house, while GN is actually taking the fight to faulty products, shitty prices and actually providing good benchmarks/testing grounds.

Like I know he has kids, but I feel like owning a growing company filled with a load of staff, juggling two kids and a wife is proving too much for him vs what Tech Jesus is doing these days. I think Linus should just hand in the towel and let Jayztwocents and GN take over, because he's proving to just makes excuses and not being nearly as informative as the other two channels. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Captain_Yuri said:

Yea pretty much. Cause unless you were able to get a 3080 Ti or 3070 Ti within the first 5 seconds after they launched, the whole "it's a good value in the current market conditions" point that Linus made is moot. Cause now it's all terrible pricing again... Yet you just know some person is going to watch his review and think, oh wow, he's saying it's such a good deal when in reality it's not. The worst part is, imagine for their next gen GPUs, Nvidia and AMD took into account mining and scalpers when pricing their GPUs. It would be horrible landscape and that's the type of thinking is what we need to stop. It's why every reviewer need to call them out when they do have bad MSRPs because if reviewers don't even in the current market, then next time, it will get worse.

Exactly, but even then, he doesn't realise or probably doesn't care that his point is already moot. he'll probably address it in his WAN show this weekend or something, but I would expect him to make an apology video like he did towards Epic, if he cares that much that is. 

If Linus just lets shit like this slide and even excuses it with moot points (which he screams of "fuck you, got mine", because he can afford nearly anything he's after to show off), then things are never going to improve. He even claimed in the recent WAN show that "he can't do anything" about Nvidia, which I think is utter bollocks, because we've seen what happened when ppl stood against Sony for shutting down shit, Linus has enough fucking followers to make a push for something, but he won't, because there's nowt in it for him.

I've noticed this stemming from those that are fairly decently well off. The more money you have, the less likely you are to care about those less fortunate, or the market shifting to adhere to those paying the higher prices, and that's something I will never let go of.

Last edited by Chazore - on 10 June 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Exactly, but even then, he doesn't realise or probably doesn't care that his point is already moot. he'll probably address it in his WAN show this weekend or something, but I would expect him to make an apology video like he did towards Epic, if he cares that much that is. 

If Linus just lets shit like this slide and even excuses it with moot points (which he screams of "fuck you, got mine", because he can afford nearly anything he's after to show off), then things are never going to improve. He even claimed in the recent WAN show that "he can't do anything" about Nvidia, which I think is utter bollocks, because we've seen what happened when ppl stood against Sony for shutting down shit, Linus has enough fucking followers to make a push for something, but he won't, because there's nowt in it for him.

I've noticed this stemming from those that are fairly decently well off. The more money you have, the less likely you are to care about those less fortunate, or the market shifting to adhere to those paying the higher prices, and that's something I will never let go of.

Yea pretty much. The worst things about these two products is that if they didn't get made, they would actually add to their lower tier supply. So instead of a 3080 Ti, it would end up being a 3080 and instead of a 3070 Ti, it would be a 3070.

Now obviously Nvidia is a business so there's somethings they can get away with as long as the product is good. But these two are just too urgh and it's so annoying that such a big influencer doesn't see it and actively defending it. Hopefully he will make an apology video but at this point, he basically trippled down on it.