By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Pemalite said:

Honestly shouldn't be hard to spoof what ever ID the silicon spits out and roll back the drivers and edit the bios.
Done a fair amount of BIOS editing in my past for GPU's (I.E. To unlock shader pipelines) and it's not as hard as people think.

The other way is to approach it from the other direction and trick the GPU into thinking it's not a mining workload.

Either way, I don't see this restriction actually stopping miners for any length of time, but it is good PR for nVidia...
Hopefully it will mean a slight relaxation on GPU supplies too, if for a short time.

It's going to be extremely hard to bypass because it's baked into the silicon and BIOS level from the start. You might as well try to hack the next generation consoles to mine... theoretically, that's just as feasible.

Now, I'm not sure to which extent the same setback is going to apply for the rumored future anti-mining versions of the RTX cards that are already released. But if Nvidia has an entire line of mining cards set to release for, presumably, juicier profits, I assume they have more on their sleeve than they're telling.

Around the Network

Diablo 2 resurrected (Remaster) announced.

Looks good so far but not gonna pre-order considering how terrible Warcraft remaster was.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Wow, this has to be one of the worst Blizzcons ever....

Not even Overwatch made it!

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Finally got a new mouse pad after months of having to deal with old mouse pads in poor conditions, and... it has a lump in the middle. The lump has visible wear in just a few hours of use, and every time the mouse moves over it, the cursor almost completely stops moving. I never expected to a mouse pad, of all things, to be defective, but this one certainly seems to be. How you do even make a mouse pad with a lump in it?!

Someone goofed.... HARD

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Pemalite said:

Honestly shouldn't be hard to spoof what ever ID the silicon spits out and roll back the drivers and edit the bios.
Done a fair amount of BIOS editing in my past for GPU's (I.E. To unlock shader pipelines) and it's not as hard as people think.

The other way is to approach it from the other direction and trick the GPU into thinking it's not a mining workload.

Either way, I don't see this restriction actually stopping miners for any length of time, but it is good PR for nVidia...
Hopefully it will mean a slight relaxation on GPU supplies too, if for a short time.

It's going to be extremely hard to bypass because it's baked into the silicon and BIOS level from the start. You might as well try to hack the next generation consoles to mine... theoretically, that's just as feasible.

Now, I'm not sure to which extent the same setback is going to apply for the rumored future anti-mining versions of the RTX cards that are already released. But if Nvidia has an entire line of mining cards set to release for, presumably, juicier profits, I assume they have more on their sleeve than they're telling.

The BIOS and Driver isn't hard to bypass or crack or modify. PC gamers have been doing it for decades now. (Myself included.)
The silicon aspect is where things get interesting as we don't know what kind of scheme nVidia has cooked up here.

The older already-released cards will be driver only... And no one is ever forced to upgrade drivers.

There are plenty of ways to "trick" the GPU into thinking the workload isn't mining as well, making the handshake entirely redundant.

Captain_Yuri said:

Wow, this has to be one of the worst Blizzcons ever....

Not even Overwatch made it!

Diablo 2 remaster was definitely the highlight for me.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Vivs and Yuri, you may want to pay attention to upoming AGESA updates for your PCs...

AMD admits there are problems with USB devices on 500-series motherboards
https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-admits-there-are-problems-with-usb-devices-on-500-series-motherboards

Since the Reddit post was made, the issues have been widely commented on by multiple users who experienced said issues. Users report that their USB connections will drop in a frequent manner, causing keyboards, recording devices, or even VR headsets to lose connection. The VR headsets are probably the easiest way to reproduce the issue, as reported by the users. A system equipped with a high-end GPU based on a PCIe Gen4 interface in addition to a VR headset (which relies on high-power USB connections), can easily lead to USB devices disconnect.

Workarounds have been suggested, such as reducing the PCI Gen4 to Gen3 or by disabling the “C-States” in BIOS. However many users have reported that those do not solve the problem, but rather reduce the frequency on which they are experienced.

The root cause of the intermittent USB connectivity issues is unknown. AMD is likely to collect more data and hopefully provide a fix in the future AGESA firmware.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Are you kidding me? I specifically went away from my shitty intel chipset that had major issues with USB.

When will AMD stop AMDing?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

That's lame. I was hoping the x570 issues would be ironed out by now but that's Amd for you. Hopefully they actually get it fixed.

Ryzen 5000 failure rates: We reality-check the claims

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3608349/ryzen-5000-failure-rates-we-reality-check-the-claims.html

There was an article a while ago where a PC vendor claimed that AMD 5000 series had a high number of RMAs. PC world spoke with other vendors and the results are that 5000 series have about the same RMA numbers as previous Ryzen cpus. Some vendors did say it's higher than Intels RMA numbers while others said it's in line with Intel's RMA but nothing care worthy regardless.

Take Two issues DMCA takedown of reverse engineered GTA 3/Vice City

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/lny3ih/take_two_issues_dmca_takedown_of_reverse/

Additional Info regarding Apple subpoenas Valve as part of its legal battle with Epic: Valve fights back

https://www.pcgamer.com/apple-subpoenas-valve-as-part-of-its-legal-battle-with-epic-valve-fights-back/#article-comments

"That is, Apple wants Valve to provide the names, prices, configurations and dates of every product on Steam, as well as detailed accounts of exactly how much money Steam makes and how it is all divvied-up. Apple argues that this information is necessary for its case against Epic, is not available elsewhere, and "does not raise risk of any competitive harm.""

Valve: