By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:
hinch said:

Ah yeah, thats true. Thats the enthusiast inside me talking rambling lol.

It happens to all of us.

Another possible use of those IGPs could be to make a Retro PC. For example you could build a machine to play win95-to-XP games, something that newer Windows can't do without lots of troubles, using something like an A10-7860K APU thanks to a powerful enough IGP (512 shaders @ 757MHz) that should be able to run most if not all those old games.

That APU plus a micro-ATX, 4 GB of DDR3, a regular 500GB HDD, case, PSU and a WinXP license (probably the hardest thing to find), and you can have a retro PC for less than a Vega 56/GTX 1070 cost.

I was thinking of buying a cheap HTPC for the living room.

Maybe looking out for the Raven Bridge APU for a small build. Though DDR4 prices are silly expensive at the moment. Failing that, maybe I should look into older platforms (AM3)? As I already have a spare pair of DDR3 ram put away.

Around the Network

Today is international day of finding out what causes the random stutter in my Rocket League. I think I can safely exclude general performance issues as the stutter happens on every framerate while GPU and CPU are completely bored. It also seems unlikely that it's sync issues between multiple monitors as it also happens on a single monitor.

The first bets are in and Twitch is a strong contender. Could not reliably recreate the issue though. Also still looking into disk usage.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JEMC said:

Now we ony have to wait and see if those single-thread numbers are real or not, and how much of that may come from higher frequencies.

That was my original fear. That the gains come from clock upticks.

QUAKECore89 said:
Gotta wait for the infamous argument advice.

"Core i5 is a sweet spot, it's all you need for gaming!"

I'm sorry, i can't stop forgetting lol...

The Core i5 is *still* the sweet sport for gaming. For Intel. lol

JEMC said:

Another possible use of those IGPs could be to make a Retro PC.

Pro's of an IGP:
* Low power consumption. (Important for notebooks and provides big advantages with systems that use Optimus.)
* Integrated into the CPU, thus shares the same cooler and allows for smaller form factors. (Important for SFF/HTPC's)
* Great for troubleshooting. (Allowing you to do a process of elimination.)
* Quicksync. (For Intel.)
* Free. (Essentially.)
* Crossfire with another budget card. (For AMD.)

hinch said:

Maybe looking out for the Raven Bridge APU for a small build. Though DDR4 prices are silly expensive at the moment. Failing that, maybe I should look into older platforms (AM3)? As I already have a spare pair of DDR3 ram put away.

AM3 is generally a terrible platform to buy into anyway. It's dead.
It also doesn't support DDR4, PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0, USB C, Sata 3+.

FM2+ is probably more viable for HTPC use, but it is also dead.

I would personally opt for an ITX build, something like a Ryzen 3+Asus Prime A320M-K is a good way to go. Unless you can get an AM4 APU.
You generally want a Graphics Core Next 1.3+ GPU as it supports newer video decoding technology and generally improved power states...

And later if you wish to turn it into a gaming rig, you have the room to do so.

If you want something cheap and nasty... Just buy a cheap $20-$30 Android TV box off ebay and see if a HTPC is your thing.

vivster said:

Today is international day of finding out what causes the random stutter in my Rocket League. I think I can safely exclude general performance issues as the stutter happens on every framerate while GPU and CPU are completely bored. It also seems unlikely that it's sync issues between multiple monitors as it also happens on a single monitor.

The first bets are in and Twitch is a strong contender. Could not reliably recreate the issue though. Also still looking into disk usage.

Whats your system specs?
Have you turned Windows 10's gaming mode off?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
vivster said:

Whats your system specs?
Have you turned Windows 10's gaming mode off?

I have disabled Game DVR now but after I updated my GPU driver and rebooting several times while troubleshooting I didn't have the stutters anymore for some hours.

Future will show when they come up again.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

QUAKECore89 said:
JEMC said:

Is that sarcasm? Because that statement is mostly true, the i5 processors have always been the sweet spot for gaming, and the upcoming i5-8600K won't be any different.

The only difference is that, with 4 physical cores, the i3-8350K could steal the show, but that will depend mostly on Intel and how they price it.

No, it's just hilarious back then, when they were fighting over i5 & i7 like a crazy over and over again til this year they finally stopped talking about quad core vs multithread, thanks to popular game PUBG.

Right now, the craze argument started new topic.

"Core i5-8600K/Ryzen 5 1600X is a sweet spot, it's all you need for gaming!"

It was true back then, because HT doesn't always help in games, and it will be true again with the 8600K & 1600X because both will offer the best of both worlds: high frequencies for gaming (at least when OC) and more cores for background tasks.

hinch said:
JEMC said:

It happens to all of us.

Another possible use of those IGPs could be to make a Retro PC. For example you could build a machine to play win95-to-XP games, something that newer Windows can't do without lots of troubles, using something like an A10-7860K APU thanks to a powerful enough IGP (512 shaders @ 757MHz) that should be able to run most if not all those old games.

That APU plus a micro-ATX, 4 GB of DDR3, a regular 500GB HDD, case, PSU and a WinXP license (probably the hardest thing to find), and you can have a retro PC for less than a Vega 56/GTX 1070 cost.

Well, a Raven Bridge APU will be your best bet, obviously, but we don't know when AMD will launch it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
QUAKECore89 said:

No, it's just hilarious back then, when they were fighting over i5 & i7 like a crazy over and over again til this year they finally stopped talking about quad core vs multithread, thanks to popular game PUBG.

Right now, the craze argument started new topic.

"Core i5-8600K/Ryzen 5 1600X is a sweet spot, it's all you need for gaming!"

It was true back then, because HT doesn't always help in games, and it will be true again with the 8600K & 1600X because both will offer the best of both worlds: high frequencies for gaming (at least when OC) and more cores for background tasks.

Nah, JEMC. You don't have to knowledge, i'm just have feeling weird because of time has changed. Ironically, i have second PC for gaming which is Ryzen 5 1600 being equiped lol

Pemalite said:
QUAKECore89 said:
Gotta wait for the infamous argument advice.

"Core i5 is a sweet spot, it's all you need for gaming!"

I'm sorry, i can't stop forgetting remembering lol...

It won't ever change because the brand name is still there, but the reason will be a tiny bit different, hexacore that is all, for those people want to play big games like BF1 and other latest open world games(if they optimized 6 cores).

I'm expecting Core i5 8600K will be $280 more or less. 

QUAKECore89 said:
Pemalite said:

It won't ever change because the brand name is still there, but the reason will be a tiny bit different, hexacore that is all, for those people want to play big games like BF1 and other latest open world games(if they optimized 6 cores).

Well. Hyper-Threading hasn't ever been a game changer (Pun intended) for gaming anyway.
In-fact one annoying part was that in Minecraft, windows would run the game on a Single Core+Hyper Thread, which would introduce a slight stutter. - Throwing it onto two real cores removed that issue completely as you remove any resource contention.

Coffee Lake i5 should bring Hex-Core goodness to the mainstream and should continue the sweet-spot point for Intel, Quad-Cores will still be gaming-capable for many years to come though.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
QUAKECore89 said:

Well. Hyper-Threading hasn't ever been a game changer (Pun intended) for gaming anyway.
In-fact one annoying part was that in Minecraft, windows would run the game on a Single Core+Hyper Thread, which would introduce a slight stutter. - Throwing it onto two real cores removed that issue completely as you remove any resource contention.

Coffee Lake i5 should bring Hex-Core goodness to the mainstream and should continue the sweet-spot point for Intel, Quad-Cores will still be gaming-capable for many years to come though.

This is indeed because of game developers made people always go buy core i5, they refused to give a shot on hyper-threading and rather focus on physical cores, so, yeah.. Gamers were disappointed and they were like let's just stick with core i3/i5, i7 is a pointless CPU thanks to the lazy developers ever give a shot. In the end, gamers agreed.

Seriously though, core i3/i5/i7(i9 is a parody) sounds too dated for a new coffee lake architecture, we need a coolest name to evolve a new era. >:(

JEMC said:

Intel claims i7-8700K to be 11% faster than 7700K
https://videocardz.com/72112/intel-claims-i7-8700k-to-be-11-faster-than-7700k
(original source_Chiphell: https://www.chiphell.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1765892&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D220)
Intel is hosting a training for retailers in China for upcoming Coffeelake 8th Gen Core series. According to the leaked slide, the upcoming i7-8700K CPU will be 11% faster than 7700K in single threaded operations.

The slide also confirms that for the first time Intel will introduce quad-core i3 series and six-core i5 series.

Both Core i5 and i7 series are to use 6-core configuration, although the i5 will not support Hyperthreading.

Intel 7th GenSingle/Multi-Thread BoostIntel 8th Gen
i7-7700K (4C/8T) +11% / 51% i7-8700K (6C/12T)
i7-7700 (4C/8T) +18% / 58% i7-8700 (6C/12T)
i5-7600K (4C/4T) +19% / 55% i5-8600K (6C/6T)
i5-7400 (4C/4T) +29% / 61% i5-8400  (6C/6T)
i3-7350K (2C/4T) +17% / 65% i3-8350K (4C/4T)
i3-7100 (2C/4T) +16% / 61% i3-8100 (4C/4T)

Now we ony have to wait and see if those single-thread numbers are real or not, and how much of that may come from higher frequencies.

10% perf increase in single threaded is pretty good, but in what time frame? When is these processors being relaesed? I'm interested in an i7-8600K. These extra threads are youthless, 6 cores is more than enuff for gaming and even have a browser and other programs running in the background.