By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Pemalite said:
Always loved the Phantom cases.
But I never buy white. In my opinion it makes the dust stick out more. :P

I never buy black because it fucking sucks and I also think black makes the dust stick out even more.

BTW I just noticed something. My old case was actually pretty huge and massive, one of the bigges I've ever seen. And now I see this.

The angle is misleading as the new case is almost exactly as wide as the old one. Now I wonder if I can find an even bigger one for my next PC.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

WARNING RUMOR

Wccftech has posted an article where they claim that AMD is already launching products made with an improved 14nm process that, with other improvements, give them 50% better Perf/Watt... and of course they're launching them first in the embedded market.

http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris-revisions-performance-per-watt/

This significant improvement in power efficiency has been attributed to an improvement to the 14nm metal mask layers of both Polaris GPUs by AMD in combination with a more refined binning process. The new revision of Polaris 10 that’s will go into the embedded market will bring down the typical board power from 150W as is found in the RX 480 to less than 95W. The updated revision of Polaris 11 will not only bring down the power from 75W to less than 50W but it will also improve clock speeds and bring up the compute throughput to 2.5 TFLOPS from 2.15.

The new revisions will be available immediately to the embedded market under the E9550 and E9260 product names for Polaris 10 and 11 respectively. The updated revisions are believed to be coming to the mobile market in the form of mobility Radeon RX 400 series graphics cards in the coming months. It’s not clear yet whether AMD will also introduce the new revision to the desktop market. However, in the mobile market where power efficiency rules supreme this could prove to be a pivotal change for the company’s competitiveness in notebooks.

Ok, I get that better efficiency is important for mobile GPUs, but surely a RX 485 that's 5-10% faster than a regular 480 using the same power or less, and capable of delivering the same performance as Nvidia's 1060 in DX11 games while being a lot faster than that card in Vulkan and DX12 games, would be something that many gamers would be interested in, right?

This is big news. And it could help make AMD a little more competitive with nVidia if AMD plays it's cards (Pun Intended) right.

Could be good news for Vega, let's hope it's a Titan killer. ;)

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

January this year was when the 2nd generation LPP process was announced. February 2015 was when the 1st generation process was announced.

Global foundries being a partner with Samsung has been adopting them pretty quickly all things considered.

AMD has already stated that Polaris is using the 2nd Generation LPP process though and we knew about the 2nd gen LPP process as early as middle of 2015 thanks to Global Foundries looking for job calls.

Still. It doesn't tell is what the 3rd generation process is being compared against though.

Given that Polaris didn't launch until late June, and that supply wasn't very good, I hope AMD/GF used the second gen. But that makes it hard to believe that they've been able to improve it another 50%.

In any case, we'll see soon-ish. I just hope they show and launch it before my card finally gives up!

Great news if the rumour is true, but it looks like I'll have to wait some months more if I want to be sure to have improved chips for the desktop too. If, as you suggested, they'll base the improved 4x5 models on the refined 14nm process, though, choice will be a lot easier, not to mention that this way they won't risk pissing off some buyers of GPUs with the same name, but based on different refinements of the process depending on production date.
Also, AMD will better use from the start the new refinement for the Zen+Polaris APUs it should launch in 2017, they'd be a perfect choice for entry-level gaming PCs too.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

vivster said:

BTW I just noticed something. My old case was actually pretty huge and massive, one of the bigges I've ever seen. And now I see this.

The angle is misleading as the new case is almost exactly as wide as the old one. Now I wonder if I can find an even bigger one for my next PC.

Easy. Just look at Corsair's 900D or Cooler Master's Cosmos II.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Everyone can make a big black case. But try to make a big white case, which is a task so difficult that it has only been achieved by NZXT so far.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

I never buy black because it fucking sucks and I also think black makes the dust stick out even more.

Yeah. Black is just as bad.
Had the Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 once. It only lasted for a couple of months before it ended at the dump. (It made strange creaking sounds and was a dust magnet.)

My Corsair case is Military green/browns, the same colour as the dust. Hahaha
My OCD hasn't set in to clean it yet. :P

The NZXT Phantom white case would make a box for an MSI X99A Xpower Gaming Titanium Motherboard, white water cooling loop and some Corsair Dominator Platinum memory modules. ;)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Welp, I think it's time to build now. It was a good idea to just unpack the case in the middle of my living room, constantly reminding me of the work I have yet to do. I just can't ignore it anymore.

vivster said:
JEMC said:

Everyone can make a big black case. But try to make a big white case, which is a task so difficult that it has only been achieved by NZXT so far.

You didn't mention that it had to be white .

The Phanteks Enthoo Luxe is available in white, and it's about the same size as that NZXT. The Pro model also has a Titanium Green option.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Well, it was a bit of work and I had some trouble but it's done for now. Pictures in the next post.

Well first of all the manual for the case is absolute shit. I don't even know if you can legally call it a manual.Instead of making separate pages for every language they cram them all together at every step. And it has a thousand pictures about taking the case apart but does only mention the thousand connectors with a few sentences that don't even tell you shit. Well, just look at this bollocks. https://sta3-nzxtcorporation.netdna-ssl.com/uploads/download/attachment/461/Phantom-820-manual-multi-language.pdf

Then I had a lot of trouble with the screws. One of the mainboard holders I had to replace because it wouldn't take any screws. The PSU screws were too short. The 2.5" HDD screws did not fit into the SSD.

The case has way too many fan connectors. The cabling in the case was just absolute overkill. You can probably create a military grade wind canal with this thing. I doubt any kind of rig needs this much cooling.

My biggest issue was that my mainboard does not have enough USB2 headers. It has only one USB2 and two USB3 headers. I plugged in one of the USB2 connectors but it seems it doesn't work as I do not have connection on any of the 4 front USB2 ports. Not a real issue but kinda meh. But I'm too lazy to fiddle around with the cabling again.

It is not noisy but it is also not quiet. The fact that it's at all times 30cm away from my ears doesn't make it better. It is audible with my headphones on but it's a more pleasant lower pitch noise than my old case was. However the case fans seem to be pretty quiet since I don't hear a difference between no fans and full power fans. I'm actually not sure yet which fan does make the loudest noise.

First Step.

Poor man's SSD holder.

Step Two.

Trying to keep the cabling clean.

Step 3. All parts in, all parts connected.

Finished cabling. As neat as I bothered to do it.

Finished position. Window is towards the wall because fuck lights.

Holy Jebus!

Is there any space between the CPU cooler and the GPU? And cabling is fine, as long as most of it it's on the back and no one sees it.