By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Lol need to log into PSN to use the disk drive on the new PS5 slim. I'd get the launch editions while you still can if you want one.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

...Why would you need to register your disc drive. That makes no sense at all. Is this some kind of a security thing they think they need to do to prevent piracy or what?

Well, that explains why you need an internet connection to connect your drive to the console.

It will be interesting to see if someone decides to sell the combo console+drive or just the drive after a while, to see if whoever buys it will be able to use it or the drive will be useless because it's paired to a PSN account.

In any case, with the new disc-less PS5 being more expensive than the launch one, plus the cost of the drive making it more expensive than the slim one with drive, you're better getting one of the original consoles or just the slim one with the drive.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Zkuq said:

...Why would you need to register your disc drive. That makes no sense at all. Is this some kind of a security thing they think they need to do to prevent piracy or what?

Definitely, the drive connector would be a pretty obvious choice to exploit and run not only pirate games but any arbitrary code really.

Zkuq said:

Almost reminds me of the time with MS. And they rightfully so got a lot of backlash for it. But looking at the articles for this when it comes to Sony far... I see none of that in them, all i see is fans explaining how its a "One time thing". But fuck me it was a one time thing that Ms wanted to do too.

Its gas how when its a company everyone loves they just accept it.

Last edited by zero129 - on 01 November 2023

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Zkuq said:

Definitely, the drive connector would be a pretty obvious choice to exploit and run not only pirate games but any arbitrary code really.

What? If thats the case they could do that now. This is not the reason and thats a fact....

A new months has started, and you know what that means:

*** NEW CONTEST ***

Win 1 of 3 iiyama G-Master gaming monitors
https://www.club386.com/win-1-of-3-iiyama-g-master-gaming-monitors/
or https://gleam.io/jGlBi/win-1-of-3-iiyama-gmaster-gaming-monitors

The prizes are:

Unfortunately, the contest is limited to UK and Europe Only.

Good luck!

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

haxxiy said:
Zkuq said:

I'd argue that it has more to do with Sony using this check to prevent users from using other non-official BD drives and force them to buy their expensive add-on than with piracy itself. After all, BD drives and discs are not even close to as popular and common as DVD-drives were during the PS2 era.

But well, who knows. I doubt Sony will give us the exact reason they've decided to do this.

A couple of things to say:

1) Yesterday, I forgot to add in the news that I wouldn't be making them today. It's festive and all that so the news will move to tomorrow.

And 2) Regarding the PS5 drive and its internet connection shenanigans, I read a possible cause on a forum and founf this Wired article:

https://www.wired.com/story/copyright-law-is-bricking-your-game-console-time-to-fix-that/

At Replay’d, Harwell’s Boston repair and game shop, one out of every 10 customers brings in a console with a broken optical drive. Not only does a broken drive mean you can’t play your favorite discs, but on most Xbox and PlayStation models, a faulty DVD or Blu-ray drive will cause the whole console to stop working, even if the owner mostly plays downloaded, digital games. Harwell has hundreds of Xboxes in the shop basement that his technicians could harvest drives from, but there’s a catch—an obscure part of US copyright law makes it illegal for him to repurpose those drives. All too often, he’s had to give a hopeful child a dour prognosis: The only cost-effective way to fix their console is illegal. The only legal path requires parts so expensive that they’d be better off buying a new console (if they can find one).

The root of the problem is that Microsoft and Sony lock down the software they use to pair their disc readers with their consoles’ motherboards. Shops like Replay’d could easily replace those drives by accessing the software pairing the drives with the boards. Instead, the repair industry is cowering in fear of a relatively obscure provision of copyright law banning the removal of digital locks that’s kept everyone from gamers to farmers and hospitals from fixing the devices they own.

So maybe that's the reason for why the drive has to be linked to the console?

zero129 said:

haxxiy said:

What? If thats the case they could do that now. This is not the reason and thats a fact....

Obviously the drive connector will have a different handshake than the other ports, thus it would have been vulnerable to reading altered data from non-validated drives. This sort of thing has been a staple of homebrew for a long time, that's how jailbreaking works to begin with...

Besides, drive-pairing security is multiple generations old and this isn't the first time a one-time online check is used for similar purposes.