By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

I like the part the most where Linus said that spending another $100-500 is just too much to ask for an accurate video.

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Wow just when you thought Linus couldn't get anymore scummy with the cooler thing, he takes it to the next level lmao. It's only 12 minutes guys:

Wow guess I have to take back my previous comment that I believe Linus was at least not intentionally being scummy.  His response was just a blatant lie that he agreed to compensate before the GameNexus video and now I truly believe he had no intention to ever compensating them if it was not for the GameNexus video.  Not only was it a scummy thing to do but it was also just stupid how could he possible think that GameNexus was not going to check with them about time line.

Well any benefit of doubt I would of given Linus now is gone.

Very interesting, we can now run old or light PC games on Android using this emulator but keep in mind that fallout 3 can't hit 60fps even on Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 which is the fastest android SoC at the moment

Very interesting, but that emulator has a long, loooooong way to go. Here is a video with Fallout 3 in 1280x800 lowest settings on a Redmagic 8 Pro (wwith Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, costs around €650 and he has problems to keep it above 10 fps, especially if he shoots or something else happens. In the building at minute 09:00 the framerate crushes down to 2 fps:

For comparison the same resolution with ultra settings on a (cheaper) Steam Deck:

Nevertheless I'm tinkering myself with Winlator on my Android tablet. But so far the compatibility is very disappointing. I already tried over a dozen of PC games (much less demanding than Fallout 3), but the only game (so far) which runs acceptable is "Maniac Mansion Deluxe"... and even that game is missing the music output, it only has the sound effects.

Conina said:

Very interesting, we can now run old or light PC games on Android using this emulator but keep in mind that fallout 3 can't hit 60fps even on Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 which is the fastest android SoC at the moment

Very interesting, but that emulator has a long, loooooong way to go. Here is a video with Fallout 3 in 1280x800 lowest settings on a Redmagic 8 Pro (wwith Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, costs around €650 and he has problems to keep it above 10 fps, especially if he shoots or something else happens. In the building at minute 09:00 the framerate crushes down to 2 fps:

For comparison the same resolution with ultra settings on a (cheaper) Steam Deck:

Nevertheless I'm tinkering myself with Winlator on my Android tablet. But so far the compatibility is very disappointing. I already tried over a dozen of PC games (much less demanding than Fallout 3), but the only game (so far) which runs acceptable is "Maniac Mansion Deluxe"... and even that game is missing the music output, it only has the sound effects.

Thanks for your insight. Yea it certainly sounds like it has a long way to go but if they can make more games run properly, it will be very cool to run Windows games if not apps on Android.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

haxxiy said:

The issue isn't whether or not Linus makes mistakes or their reviews are different than everyone else, the issue is LTTs unwillingness to correct those mistakes and learn from them but even when they correct them, it's either very late or they only correct some of them. In the 4090 video, there were several issues. First the 4090 being 3x faster than 3090 Ti in Cyberpunk and the second was a 3090 Ti being 60% faster than a 3090 in Shadow of Tomb Raider. Anyone with any technical knowledge about Ampere should have been able to catch that easily. People in the comment section pointed out both but not only did it take several days for LTT to correct the Cyberpunk issue, they never bothered correcting the Shadow of Tomb Raider issue. With Youtube video, time matters especially because the initial days gets the most amount of views. And there's plenty more examples in the video of such cases where it really should have been obvious that there was something wrong with the data.

The other issue is they keep giving bad advise regardless of the data or end up with the wrong conclusion based on bad data and they do not redo testing to correct it. For example the NH-D15. Linus contentiously says it can take on any CPU while his own data shows that a 13900K thermal throttles to 13700K speeds. Yet his conclusion doesn't change on repeated videos. If a casual user buys a NH-D15 and pairs it up with a 13900K thanks to his advise and sees that it thermal throttles, it's a bad experience. And the mouse review that was mentioned where they didn't take the tape off. The list goes on.

The key thing is that this isn't just one video, this happens continuously even to this date. Even the last video they posted yesterday had issues if you read the comment sections. Reviewers can make mistakes but they need to correct and learn from them. They shouldn't just do what LTT is doing and rush videos out with mistakes after mistakes with the unwillingness to correct them and learn from them.

I trust LTT for review or advice as much as I trust GN, and I would trust random YouTube comments half as much as I would trust either, to be honest. So I don't take the latter as a benchmark for anything.

Is LTT not learning from its mistakes or taking too long to correct them? I don't know. I'm just hearing what this GN dude is telling me. What does he have to gain from telling me this? Is this what things actually even are? What does the other side have to say so I can see the full picture?

Whenever I see this kind of YT drama I try to keep these things in mind. Like a judge would, really.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

The issue isn't whether or not Linus makes mistakes or their reviews are different than everyone else, the issue is LTTs unwillingness to correct those mistakes and learn from them but even when they correct them, it's either very late or they only correct some of them. In the 4090 video, there were several issues. First the 4090 being 3x faster than 3090 Ti in Cyberpunk and the second was a 3090 Ti being 60% faster than a 3090 in Shadow of Tomb Raider. Anyone with any technical knowledge about Ampere should have been able to catch that easily. People in the comment section pointed out both but not only did it take several days for LTT to correct the Cyberpunk issue, they never bothered correcting the Shadow of Tomb Raider issue. With Youtube video, time matters especially because the initial days gets the most amount of views. And there's plenty more examples in the video of such cases where it really should have been obvious that there was something wrong with the data.

The other issue is they keep giving bad advise regardless of the data or end up with the wrong conclusion based on bad data and they do not redo testing to correct it. For example the NH-D15. Linus contentiously says it can take on any CPU while his own data shows that a 13900K thermal throttles to 13700K speeds. Yet his conclusion doesn't change on repeated videos. If a casual user buys a NH-D15 and pairs it up with a 13900K thanks to his advise and sees that it thermal throttles, it's a bad experience. And the mouse review that was mentioned where they didn't take the tape off. The list goes on.

The key thing is that this isn't just one video, this happens continuously even to this date. Even the last video they posted yesterday had issues if you read the comment sections. Reviewers can make mistakes but they need to correct and learn from them. They shouldn't just do what LTT is doing and rush videos out with mistakes after mistakes with the unwillingness to correct them and learn from them.

I trust LTT for review or advice as much as I trust GN, and I would trust random YouTube comments half as much as I would trust either, to be honest. So I don't take the latter as a benchmark for anything.

Is LTT not learning from its mistakes or taking too long to correct them? I don't know. I'm just hearing what this GN dude is telling me. What does he have to gain from telling me this? Is this what things actually even are? What does the other side have to say so I can see the full picture?

Whenever I see this kind of YT drama I try to keep these things in mind. Like a judge would, really.

"Is LTT not learning from its mistakes or taking too long to correct them? I don't know. I'm just hearing what this GN dude is telling me. What does he have to gain from telling me this? Is this what things actually even are? What does the other side have to say so I can see the full picture?"

Maybe you should watch the video then and do your own research lol. GNs videos are backed by literal statements that Linus and his staff has made. Linus has responded but in a really bad way in the second video that I linked. The reason why this is blowing up is because of the fact that what GN has said is accurate and is a sentiment that is shared by a lot of people that watch the respective channels. If GN was just making a rant video with no substance, this would be a completely different story.

Regardless of which though, it's fair enough if you don't care about youtube drama but I wouldn't go defending Linus without actually watch GNs case and doing your own research.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 15 August 2023

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Chazore said:
haxxiy said:

YouTube drama is always a shit-slinging contest of "no, u."

In the end, it boils down to someone's word against someone else's word.

But in this case, Linus boasted about "getting the facts straight and ppl acknowledging them", and yet GN pointed out how wrong he was with his own findings which turned out to be true, thus fact.

So really it's Linus bullshit and borked data vs GN's actual data and sources, along with a dev who got fucked over, because Linus was too lazy to shell out another 400.

Linus needs to just take the L and course correct before shit gets worse (believe me, it will with this kind of information, and a dev who's been fucked over, it will spread over time). 

Linus is coming across as extremely narcissistic.

He made a forum post and had a statement embedded into it that said:

"Listing the wrong amount of cache on a table for a CPU review is sloppy, but given that our conclusions are drawn based on our testing, not the spec sheet, it doesn't materially change the recommendation. That doesn't mean these things don't matter. We've set KPI's for our writing/labs team around accuracy, and we are continually installing new checks and balances to ensure that things continue to get better. If you haven't seen the improvement, frankly I wonder if you're really looking for it..."

Basically he just said that the entire fucking community is at fault. Not him or his team.

Has he possibly thought that those "new checks and balances" are ineffective?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

One Final update on the Billet Lab prototype.  Linus offer to get the prototype back from buyer but Billet Lab said they want the money instead since they already spent a lot of money on a new prototype and they have 0 confidence that they would get the prototype back in a timely matter.  One of the reason they have no confident was a WTF moment to me is they still not return a 3090ti that they provided to do the testing.  Which mean not only did they not test the prototype on the right gpu but they was given the right GPU to test it on.  Then they did not return the GPU and auction off the prototype.  I not sure it would be possible to be less professional in there interactions with Billet Lab if they tried.

Linus claim they miss placed the 3090TI and only just recently found it.  How the hell in any universe does a 100 million company looses a 3090ti that was loan to them and the first thing you do is not apology to the company who loan it to you and go buy a new 3090TI to replace it if they cant find it that day.

Below Link to Billet Lab statement

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15rxni4/our_public_statement_regarding_ltt/jwbrh0i/

Edit: adding post where linus says he found gpu.  The post it self rubs me the wrong way advertising one of his video to see how he found the GPU his company lost that did not belong to them in the first place.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1526180-gamers-nexus-alleges-lmg-has-insufficient-ethics-and-integrity/page/29/#comment-16079089

Last edited by Cyran - on 16 August 2023

JEMC said:
Chazore said:

What other complaints?, you mean the data that was off?.

Given that I haven't watched the video, I'm using Cyran and Yuri's comments as a basis:

As far as I know, LTT didn't insult neither GN nor HU. He merely said, during the 7600 or 4060Ti 16GB review (I don't know which one), that they had retested all the cards with the latest drivers, unlike the other two sites. That is factually true. Hardware Unboxed answered stating that they do a couple of retest and, if they don't see any changes, they reuse the old data. I don't know if GamersNexus said anything about that before this video, but they post the month and year of the data in their reviews, proving that they don't repeat all the tests every time.

And it's fine, you don't need to repeat all the tests all the time because, more often than not, the results will be the same, but sometimes they change, and you can check the re-review of the 7900XT that HU did a couple weeks ago. So, if some site has the resources and manpower to repeat the tests, then all the better for us.

Another one, using the success of LMG as an argument against it because it has over 100 employees and a CEO is ridiculous. So what, if someone does well and succeeds in life then he no longer can be trusted? What kind of BS is that?

The amount of videos that have to be done in a week surprised me. How can videos do they post on their other site, the plane one? Because they don't post that many videos in Youtube per week.

My last argument would be less of a nitpick and more of a warning. GamerNexus has zero evidence that Linus, LTT or the new CEO are being dishonest because of their past employers or partnerships. Expressing his "concerns" about it in a video where he criticises other LTT practices may give the wrong idea that this is a reality, not a simple possibility. It's a dangerous suggestion that not only damages LTT's credibility, but also puts in question GN's real intention behind this video.

GamersNexus isn't perfect, and they've also edited videos with some text overlay to fix mistakes, although not as many times as LTT (obviously given that they also make a lot less content), and they should be cautios when makes certain claims, or it could backfire and damage their own reputation.

You didn't watch the video, but at the same time you're shooting down all the points and taking Linus's side at the end of it (especially with the how dare you at someone's success motif)...

You do realise Linus is far from perfect as well right?.

Watch the video and come back. I implore you to do this, because Yuri noticed the shift, I noticed the shift, others in this thread noticed the shift, but you didn't, which has me at cause for concern.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Cyran said:

One Final update on the Billet Lab prototype.  Linus offer to get the prototype back from buyer but Billet Lab said they want the money instead since they already spent a lot of money on a new prototype and they have 0 confidence that they would get the prototype back in a timely matter.  One of the reason they have no confident was a WTF moment to me is they still not return a 3090ti that they provided to do the testing.  Which mean not only did they not test the prototype on the right gpu but they was given the right GPU to test it on.  Then they did not return the GPU and auction off the prototype.  I not sure it would be possible to be less professional in there interactions with Billet Lab if they tried.

Linus claim they miss placed the 3090TI and only just recently found it.  How the hell in any universe does a 100 million company looses a 3090ti that was loan to them and the first thing you do is not apology to the company who loan it to you and go buy a new 3090TI to replace it if they cant find it that day.

Below Link to Billet Lab statement

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinusTechTips/comments/15rxni4/our_public_statement_regarding_ltt/jwbrh0i/

Edit: adding post where linus says he found gpu.  The post it self rubs me the wrong way advertising one of his video to see how he found the GPU his company lost that did not belong to them in the first place.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1526180-gamers-nexus-alleges-lmg-has-insufficient-ethics-and-integrity/page/29/#comment-16079089

Of course Linus would do this lol. It'd be cheaper for him to get the prototype back than it would to reimburse Billet with more money for the time wasted, as well as what they did with the prototype, this is classic scrimping and trying to save face at the same time.

Like god damn Linus, just fucking reimburse the man already. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"