By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:

PCIe Gen5 power connector is compatible with GeForce RTX 30 Founders Edition

https://videocardz.com/newz/pcie-gen5-power-connector-is-compatible-with-geforce-rtx-30-founders-edition

"PCIe Gen5 connector fits Molex MicroFit 3.0 used by NVIDIA RTX 30 Founders Edition"

As usual, Nvidia leads the industry with forward thinking GPUs. But I do hope no flagship will require 1275 Watts of power.

AMD Reaffirms Radeon RX 7000 ‘RDNA 3’ GPUs & Ryzen 7000 ‘Zen 4’ CPU Launch In 2022, Spending Big Money To Secure Increased Capacity

https://wccftech.com/amd-reaffirms-radeon-rx-7000-rdna-3-gpu-ryzen-7000-zen-4-cpu-launch-in-2022-spending-big-money-to-secure-increased-capacity/

Hopefully AMD will consider the budget buyers more appropriately while adding in competitive Ray Tracing and ML next gen

I really, really hope no GPU comes close to not just those 1275W, but 600W either. Those numbers are insane, and not in a good way.

And yeah, I hope AMD's Zen4 lineup resembles more their Zen and Zen2 offerings. Not only because what they've done with Zen3 has been lackluster, but also because Intel will, sure as hell, have something in every price range.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

By the way, Backblaze has published its 2021 summary for HDDs (they'll do another for SSDs)

Backblaze Drive Stats for 2021
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-2021/

At the end of 2021, Backblaze was monitoring 203,168 hard drives used to store data. For our evaluation, we removed 409 drives from consideration which were used for either testing purposes or drive models for which we did not have at least 60 drives. This leaves us with 202,759 hard drives to analyze for this report.

This is the table comparing 2019, 2020 and 2021

For more details and graphs, vitit their blog post.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

It may be from last October but I just see this: the best explanation on cryptocurrencies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUs5y9leCyA

Seagate at the top of failure rates doesn't surprise me. I haven't had one Seagate HDD that hasn't failed lol.

Tempted to get another Toshiba HDD but they're so damn load under load. Anyone recommend a decent, quiet one thats also reliable?

You... you get a list showing the reliability of a bunch of HDDs from 4 to 16TB and then ask for a reliable one?

Ok, maybe this graph, also rom the blog post, will give you a better idea:

I'd say that Hitachi (HGST) and Western Digital(WDC) would be your best options. Oh, and Hitachi is owned by WD, so you can get the cheaper of both models.

Around the Network

was asking for some personal experience/s since graphs don't always tell a full story.. (like noise, performance etc) and I'm sure there are a few IT guys here I thought I ask, no disrespect. That graph does help though, cheers! And yeah looks like Hitachi and WD are the decent ones. Surprising since I heard bad things about WD HDD's.

Kinda looking in the 6-10TB range for some backups xP

Last edited by hinch - on 03 February 2022

Well, I had a Maxtor drive fail on me, many, many years ago.

I also had a Samsung drive fail on me, but it was my fault. It happened when I was changing things on my PC and I dropped it to the floor. Oops!

And I also had a 4TB WD green die, but I used it quite a bit and was also a bit old when it happened.

Ironically Seagate bought them (Maxtor) back in the 2000's. I had a external shuckable Maxtor that died within two years - think thats the going rate for my other Seagates as well; and that goes all the way from SATA back to IDE. Think I've had tried most of the major brands apart from Hitachi. The only ones that haven't failed are my 1TB Samsung HDD that still works and my 5TB Toshiba I have currently. I had like two WD fail in the past so I might give Hitachi a shot next.

But yeah hate when HDD's fail. That's why I'm inclined to spend more in local backups in case anything goes wrong. And ouch at that drop, its weird.. sometimes they can take a beating other times a simple shock and its a goner. Think most drives have a sensors and drop protection now built in though, which is reassuring when you have to swap one out.

Last edited by hinch - on 03 February 2022

hinch said:

Asking for personal experiences/ since graphs don't tell a full story.. (like sometimes depends on locale, batches etc) and I'm sure there are a few IT guys here I thought I ask, no disrespect. That graph does help though, cheers! And yeah looks like Hitachi and WD are the decent ones. Surprising since I heard bad things about WD HDD's.

Kinda looking in the 6-10TB range for some backups xP

From my personal data hoarder research, I have found that the best hard drives to get for backups have a lot to do with the class of hard drive that you get for the price than just general reliability figures. For example, a Seagate PMR/CMR drive will be more reliable than Western Digital SMR drive.

The reason I say that is because one of the best ways to get a really good bang per buck backup hard drive is to get an "External" hard drive that has a more expensive prosumer drives with PMR/CMR inside it and such rather than just one that has a SMR drive or buying a more expensive off the shelf hard drive.

Here's what I mean. A while ago, I bought this external hard drive on sale for $250 CAD:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/seagate-backup-plus-hub-10tb-desktop-external-hard-drive-stel10000400-black/12315363

Now if you did a little research on the hard drive, you will find something interesting. While this looks like a normal Seagate external hard drive, inside it is infact a Seagate BarraCuda Pro which is a significantly better and much more reliable hard drive because it has CMR and etc tech. In Canada, an off the shelf Barracuda Pro costs more so around $400. At the time, all of the competitively priced western digital and etc hard drives had SMR so this was a real gem. But the funny thing is, if you instead gotten the 8TB model, you would get their normal SMR nonsense. And you can confirm this by running HWinfo once you get the hard drive.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 03 February 2022

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

That's a good point. There's a lot of duds out there with SMR with terrible performance. Think I'll do some digging up and find a decent CMR drive and go from there. Cheers.

Yeah I remember you saying you got a great deal on a high capacity CMR HDD. They're kinda hard to come by now (like good quality ones) at a reasonable price, which is annoying - just when I need one too lol.