By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Conina said:

Or with the Novalogic games, starting with Comanche (1992)

He meant fully voxel world, where pretty much everything can be destroyed - I don't believe Teardown is the the first to do it, but it probably has the smallest voxels to date - cause eventually it boils down to that, how small can they be to go toe to toe with details of current polygon words. Personally, I wouldn't mind several years of blocky visuals, if we're to see drastic changes in how some of the games are designed, which fully destructable/interactive worlds would bring.

It would be great if polygons and voxels were used together, using the former for the characters and the later for everything else. Maybe that could be the next step?

Captain_Yuri said:

Some news

*snip*

Mark Cerny has bought the Western Digital SN850 for his PS5. So if you are looking for an SSD to get... Know you know which one! Realistically, a 980 Pro and others should work as well as long as they have a heatsink that fits. But the SN850 has an optional heatsink that is guaranteed to fit.

I'm sure the execs at WD will be extremely pleased with this tweet, it guarantees lots of sales of their SSD.

At the same time, it also tells us that Sony won't be launching any Sony branded SSDs for the foreseeable future.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Woop happy that my SSD gets the pick by one of the lead engineers. That's reassuring xD

The drive is rated to run at 6500MB/s (from forums/reddit) when tested on the PS5. I wonder if games will actually load faster than on the internal one.

hinch said:

Woop happy that my SSD gets the pick by one of the lead engineers. That's reassuring xD

The drive is rated to run at 6500MB/s (from forums/reddit) when tested on the PS5. I wonder if games will actually load faster than on the internal one.

As an owner of SN850 as well...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

One thing people should probably do once they get a SSD for their PS5 is plug it into a PC, update to the latest firmware to get any potential performance fixes and then put it in their PS5. We have seen both the 980 Pro and SN850 have some performance issues which I believe should be fixed with the latest firmware.

Around the Network

Good shout. Had mine sitting on the shelf for a couple of months. Probably worth checking to see if the drive works first lol.

Lol yea. Sometimes SSDs can be DoA but it's extremely rare.

It will be interesting to see whether or not anything will come up after people use these SSDs for an extended periods of time on the PS5. In theory, it should be fine but if there are any issues, it will be interesting to see whether or not Sony will update the firmware of the SSD through the PS5 after working with SSD manufactures or if users will be required to plug the SSD into their PC, update the firmware and then plug it back into the PS5. I doubt that will be the case as it's very unlikely but it would be funny if that happens.

That would suck lol since I got it for a good price.

Yeah I'm guessing the feedback from the beta will give insight on any potential faults; should they arise on any specific drives. Would be amazing if Sony worked with manufacturers and supplied updates like that but I don't think that'll happen. Most likely thing is Sony will take stats on what drive works well and just recommend a list of SSD that are compatible and ready to go. So long as the read speeds maintain on or over the recommended 5.5GB/s reads, games should run fine I should think.

Captain_Yuri said:

One thing people should probably do once they get a SSD for their PS5 is plug it into a PC, update to the latest firmware to get any potential performance fixes and then put it in their PS5. We have seen both the 980 Pro and SN850 have some performance issues which I believe should be fixed with the latest firmware.

What about the 850 pros, I've got a few of them in use, any perf issues with those Firmware-wise?. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

What about the 850 pros, I've got a few of them in use, any perf issues with those Firmware-wise?. 

Not sure as those were from a while ago. I only really paid attention to the SN850/980 Pro as those were the SSDs I was thinking to get for my new build. I'd still check to see if there's any new firmware update through Samsung Magician or their website to be 100% sure and update them regardless since sometimes there's security flaws that get patched as well through the firmware update. Some chipset and SSD combinations also don't play that well unless you do a firmware update that fixes those issues like with the SN850 and X570.