By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

I don't even bother buying prebuilt desktops in Canada because the components are always snazzy. As I get older, I'll probably just use the PC builder from memory express or newegg and pay them the $100 to build the PC for me. The only prebuilts that I buy are laptops.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
hinch said:

At $1050 for a prebuilt, those components are bad and cooling unacceptable. I'm sure they could have added a much better cooler for $5 extra. Also, whats up with pre built with a single stick of RAM. 8GB of 3000Mhz in single channel and can't even run within spec due to the choice of motherboard.

I don't know how the prebuilt prices are like for you guys in the US/Canada, but in the UK you can get a system with a 3600, RTX 2060 and 16GB RAM from £800 with no OS - https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-observatory-lite-mesh-ryzen-3-3300x-quad-core-4.3ghz-rtx-2060-6gb-desktop-pc-for-gaming.html

That Cyberpower is PC is awful as is the Dell for value :P

I noticed the same problem regarding the RAM when I was looking for PCs for my father. It's cheaper to use one x8 or x16GB memory module than two 4 or 8GB ones.

Also ths stock cooler is so loud that my father couldn't stand it and I had to get a new one to replace it. Got a beQuiet Pure Rock 2: it's now whisper quiet.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

hinch said:

Thanks for the heads up for the Saints Row 3 Remaster. Its £12 to upgrade it on Steam. Mighty tempted to do it but really shouldn't.. Spent a lot lately on new hardware lol.

read the reviews on it first they did something fucky with fpslocking

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

No because 720p still has a GPU bottleneck for certain games like this. It's why people at Anandtech has some benchmarks at 360p and others at 720p. Some games even with modern GPUs can still bottleneck high end CPUs like the 5950x.

"We use the same scene for the CPU benchmarks as for the graphics cards. Days Gone is so well optimized that even processors many years old deliver three-digit frame rates. We therefore had to work really hard to be able to generate a CPU limit at all. To do this, we used the render scaling and turned it down to ten percent. At a resolution of 1,280 × 720, this corresponds - exactly - to a cute 128 × 72 = 9,216 pixels. Nobody plays in this resolution, that is clear to us. Nevertheless, we have to create a CPU limit in this way in order to work out the performance of the processors. In this way, we also challenge the frame times more, which are responsible for the perceived playability."

If they did the test at 720p, while it would still show a result that follows the same pattern such as 5950x > 5900x > 5600x > i7 11700k etc, it wouldn't be able to show you how much of a lead Ryzen 5000 CPUs have until you fully get rid of the GPU bottleneck.

Just for curiosity, how many games can actually do that? I mean, maybe Star Citizen could, but that's still work in progress, and maybe Flight Simulator, but I can't think of any game that could cause a bottleneck at 720p with all the settings set to low (after all, all the setting would be set to the lowest possible to put the pressure onto the CPU, right?).

Really depends on the game but if you go to Anandtech's review of the 5000 series

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214/amd-zen-3-ryzen-deep-dive-review-5950x-5900x-5800x-and-5700x-tested/18

You can see that some games they test at 360p, 480p, 600p, etc. Most outlets do 720p or 1080p because that's more realistic in the current market but I like how Anandtech does its as they do both normal resolution tests and low resolution tests for their CPU benchmarks.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 24 May 2021

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

I don't even bother buying prebuilt desktops in Canada because the components are always snazzy. As I get older, I'll probably just use the PC builder from memory express or newegg and pay them the $100 to build the PC for me. The only prebuilts that I buy are laptops.

Yeah same with the UK. Availability is usually ok. Prebuilt PC's can be good and offer really good value and some within MSRP of individual components. I mean its one way of getting a decent value if you need a new PC or new GPU (now). GPU's now are like double what it should be from retailers (AiB) across the board on RX/RTX cards. Which takes the wind out of going normal DiY build rn. But things might be looking up since ETH dropping like rock.

I do like the fact that you do get aftercare service if things don't agree with you. For a lot of people that time saved in building and having a fallback is worth extra in itself. I'm just kinda old school and the last prebuilt I got was in the early 2000's lol.

JEMC said:

I noticed the same problem regarding the RAM when I was looking for PCs for my father. It's cheaper to use one x8 or x16GB memory module than two 4 or 8GB ones.

Also ths stock cooler is so loud that my father couldn't stand it and I had to get a new one to replace it. Got a beQuiet Pure Rock 2: it's now whisper quiet.

For a system integrator it wouldn't cost them much to go with dual sticks over single but I guess most people wouldn't blink and eye or question if a system has dual channel or not. The actual RAM amount is going to be the thing for most consumers. I guess its always down to money and how much they can make per system xP

Last edited by hinch - on 24 May 2021

Around the Network
hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yeah same with the UK. Availability is usually ok. Prebuilt PC's can be good and offer really good value and some within MSRP of individual components. I mean its one way of getting a decent value if you need a new PC or new GPU (now). GPU's now are like double what it should be from retailers (AiB) across the board on RX/RTX cards. Which takes the wind out of going normal DiY build rn. But things might be looking up since ETH dropping like rock.

I do like the fact that you do get aftercare service if things don't agree with you. For a lot of people that time saved in building and having a fallback is worth extra in itself. I'm just kinda old school and the last prebuilt I got was in the early 2000's lol.

Yea pretty much. ETH is supposed to make the transition to Proof of Stake model in July so that is when mining should tank as the next popular mining coin is RavenX but it's no where near ETH's value and not really profitable. It's kinda funny how the mining boom is like Covid for PC gaming. And ETH transition is like the Vaccine that will hopefully stop the mining craze!

Captain_Yuri said:

The past two rigs I've gone with have been bought as parts and built by my island local PC hw store, mostly because I was working extended shifts during those times, so paying them up to £55-60 wasn't that much for me and was quite convenient (they even got the OS and everything installed and trimmed down for me to boot which was nice). 

I know it's nice to build your own rig, but sometimes it's also nice to have it built for you when you don't have the time, or you get older (like you and me).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

The past two rigs I've gone with have been bought as parts and built by my island local PC hw store, mostly because I was working extended shifts during those times, so paying them up to £55-60 wasn't that much for me and was quite convenient (they even got the OS and everything installed and trimmed down for me to boot which was nice). 

I know it's nice to build your own rig, but sometimes it's also nice to have it built for you when you don't have the time, or you get older (like you and me).

Yea pretty much. I would have had the shops build it for me this time around if it wasn't for the whole "everything is out of stock" nonsense. Like I managed to get the 3080 in November, then I managed to get the Dark Hero in January I think, then I managed to get the 5950x in March. It's annoying cause in a case like this, the whole paying the shops for the components you want falls apart cause they won't have anything in stock. So either you pay for components that you potentially don't want or you just gotta wait until something is in stock and then buy it.

Least I don't have to worry about buying new components outside of a new GPU for the next 3-4 years at the very least. Especially with how good Ryzen 5000 is.

hinch said:

At $1050 for a prebuilt, those components are bad and cooling unacceptable. I'm sure they could have added a much better cooler for $5 extra. Also, whats up with pre built with a single stick of RAM. 8GB of 3000Mhz in single channel and can't even run within spec due to the choice of motherboard.

I don't know how the prebuilt prices are like for you guys in the US/Canada, but in the UK you can get a system with a 3600, RTX 2060 and 16GB RAM from £800 with no OS - https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-observatory-lite-mesh-ryzen-3-3300x-quad-core-4.3ghz-rtx-2060-6gb-desktop-pc-for-gaming.html

That Cyberpower is PC is awful as is the Dell for value :P

If I had to buy a pre-built PC, i'd probably would be this one: https://www.alternate.de/HP/Pavilion-Gaming-Desktop-TG01-2206ng-Gaming-PC/html/product/1726704

Ryzen 5 5600G (So basically the 5600H with a higher clock speed and different socket) with a 3060Ti and 16GiB DDR4-3200 (just one stick though, but buying another one upgrading to 32GiB is easy enough) and a 512GB SSD for 999€. The 3060Ti alone is almost traded at that price already, so pretty good deal all around I would say.

^ That PC shouldn't be more than 800€, and that's with the HP tax included.

The sooner this mining craze ends and prices go down to reasonable levels, the better.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.