By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Also some AM5 rumours! Take it with a grain of salt!

Looks like AMD will be going LGA for Zen 5 if true. PCI-e 4.0 is a bit weird if Alder Lake turns out to be PCI-e 5.0.

Do we have any hardware that makes any use of PCI-E 5 already?

I do think 4.0 is still fine. Pretty sure they will upgrade to 5 midway with something like Zen 5 like they did the switch to PCI-E 4.0 with Zen 2.

Looking at the PCIe 4.0 specs, the max tranfer rate over 4 lines is 7.877 GB/s and we already have NVMe drives that exceed 7000 MB/s. It won't be long before it becomes a bottleneck.

So, either manufacturers start giving more PCIe lanes to storage, which they won't, or we move to PCIe 5.0.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

I just hope MS/Nintendo catch up with the same, because I don't really see myself using DS5, as I'm far more used to Switch pro/X1's controller layout.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Days Gone has interesting CPU scaling!

https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Days-Gone-Spiel-57349/Specials/PC-Test-Release-Benchmark-Review-Steam-1372247/2/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

If by interesting you mean weird, then yes, i agree. What does it use the CPU for to have such impressive scaling? And why it has no correlation between CPU cores nor frequency?

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Hard to tell. We have seen a number of Direct X 11 games that can scale quite well with the new Ryzen cpus compared to Intel. Could be a combination of Nvidia's DX11 drivers liking increased core count and Ryzen's large cache pool producing really good results. The 6800 XT benchmark looks more "normal" but it's also 100 fps less thanks to how poorly AMD handles Direct X 11 games.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

This game seems to like high IPC and cache. Ryzen CPU's also scales well with high frequency RAM.

Interestingly Core i7 11700k gets its ass handed it to them but then its only got 16MB cache. VS 32MB of the 5600X and 64MB of the 5900X/5950X.

Last edited by hinch - on 23 May 2021

It may be the higher cache, yeah.

JEMC said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Do we have any hardware that makes any use of PCI-E 5 already?

I do think 4.0 is still fine. Pretty sure they will upgrade to 5 midway with something like Zen 5 like they did the switch to PCI-E 4.0 with Zen 2.

Looking at the PCIe 4.0 specs, the max tranfer rate over 4 lines is 7.877 GB/s and we already have NVMe drives that exceed 7000 MB/s. It won't be long before it becomes a bottleneck.

So, either manufacturers start giving more PCIe lanes to storage, which they won't, or we move to PCIe 5.0.

Speaking of storage on PC, I'd love if SATA would progressively get phased out and replaced by the U.2 connector. That way you could get big drives that are too big for an M.2 slot yet don't have to compromise on the speed anymore. Sadly, looks like U.2 will stay a very limited connection now...

JEMC said:

If by interesting you mean weird, then yes, i agree. What does it use the CPU for to have such impressive scaling? And why it has no correlation between CPU cores nor frequency?

It's due to a trick they used: Days gone doesn't need much CPU power, so even with a 3090 there would be no big difference between CPUs. So to really max out the CPUs and remove the GPU limit, they basically reduced the  rendering resolution to 10% of 720p, down to 128x72 pixel. It's blurry af, but that way they finally managed to remove the GPU limit.

Days gone doesn't need many CPU, just clock speed and IPC. Since they enforce Intel's TDP limitation (so no endless boosting with 200W+ power consumption) the Intel CPUs can't boost throughout the benchmark and drop down below Zen 3. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

It's due to a trick they used: Days gone doesn't need much CPU power, so even with a 3090 there would be no big difference between CPUs. So to really max out the CPUs and remove the GPU limit, they basically reduced the  rendering resolution to 10% of 720p, down to 128x72 pixel. It's blurry af, but that way they finally managed to remove the GPU limit.

Days gone doesn't need many CPU, just clock speed and IPC. Since they enforce Intel's TDP limitation (so no endless boosting with 200W+ power consumption) the Intel CPUs can't boost throughout the benchmark and drop down below Zen 3. 

So, basically, this is a pointless test because the scenario used for it is so out of reality that it doesn't matter.