By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Wednesday news, part two:

GTA Online Dispatch Services missions let you 'infiltrate holding cells'
https://www.pcgamer.com/gta-online-dispatch-services-missions-let-you-infiltrate-holding-cells/
Martin Madrazo, aka GTA Online's most entertaining contact mission-giver, brings his eponymous 'Dispatch Services' to the open world crime sim this week. Likewise, two new cars enter the fold, as do a typical wave of vehicle and property discounts.

Delightful shopkeeping action RPG Moonlighter is out today
https://www.pcgamer.com/delightful-shopkeeping-action-rpg-moonlighter-is-out-today/
For those who missed the boat: Moonlighter is part top-down action RPG and part shopkeeping sim. It's kind of like Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, but with better combat and streamlined shopkeeping. You play as Will, owner of the Moonlighter item shop in Rynoka village, which is just a stone's throw from five mysterious dungeons. As Will, you explore the dungeons, loot everything you can, and sell the excess loot back at your shop while keeping the best stuff for yourself.

Sea of Thieves: The Hungering Deep teases a new terror from the blackest depths
https://www.pcgamer.com/sea-of-thieves-the-hungering-deep-teases-a-new-terror-from-the-blackest-depths/
The Hungering Deep, the first content update for the multiplayer pirate adventure Sea of Thieves, is now live. The free update adds new in-game features and cosmetics, a "monstrous peril" from the darkest depths, and the game's first time-limited adventure that tells the tale of "Merry" Merrick, a boozed-up two-peg-legger who could maybe use a little help dealing with a bit of a white whale-type situation.

Door Kickers: Action Squad is like a two-player 2D Rainbow Six Siege
https://www.pcgamer.com/door-kickers-action-squad-is-like-a-two-player-2d-rainbow-six-siege/
The original Door Kickers was a lovely little tactical puzzle game released in 2014. Door Kickers 2: Task Force North was announced two years later later and said to be coming in 2016, but it's still nowhere to be seen. However, developer KillHouse Games actually has another game out to scratch that door kicking itch. It's Door Kickers: Action Squad, and it's out now on Steam Early Access.

Active Shooter and its developer have been removed from Steam
https://www.pcgamer.com/active-shooter-and-its-developer-have-been-removed-from-steam/
Active Shooter, the school shooting FPS that caused an uproar when it appeared on Steam last week, has been removed from the platform, and both the developer and publisher—Revived Games and Acid, respectively—responsible for the game have been banned from the platform.
"This developer and publisher is, in fact, a person calling himself Ata Berdiyev, who had previously been removed last fall when he was operating as '[bc]Interactive' and 'Elusive Team'," a Valve rep explained.

Sega Mega Drive & Genesis Classics now has VR and multiplayer support
https://www.pcgamer.com/sega-mega-drive-and-genesis-classics-now-has-vr-and-multiplayer-support/
SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics has received a new update, ushering in a bunch of new features well worth checking out. The first of these is VR support: you can now play Phantasy Star in VR, though the experience is about inhabiting a retro-themed bedroom where a ye olde CRT monitor displays the game, rather than inhabiting the game itself. Still, it's pretty cool.

Fortnite adds rideable shopping carts, reactivates self-refund feature
https://www.pcgamer.com/fortnite-adds-rideable-shopping-carts-reactivates-self-refund-feature/
As teased yesterday, Fortnite's first unlikely vehicle has arrived. Found scattered around the map in various locations, Shopping Carts can be pushed around or ridden as a passenger—both in pairs or on your lonesome. And, yes, players can fire weapons from within the trolley should they desire.

Bethesda unveils Fallout 76, more to come at E3
https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-unveils-fallout-76-more-to-come-at-e3/
After teasing something Fallout-related yesterday, Bethesda has unveiled Fallout 76.
It's got a trailer.
Billed as the "newest game from Bethesda Game Studios", the tweet above tells us to expect more from the developer's #BE3 Showcase, which takes place on June 10 at 6:30pm PST / June 11 at 2:30am BST.

>>Why do I have the feeling that it's another mobile game?

Dying Light launches last of 10 free content drops
https://www.pcgamer.com/dying-light-launches-last-of-10-free-content-drops/
In July last year, Dying Light developer Techland promised players ten portions of free DLC in the space of a year. The parkour meets zombie slasher has since enjoyed new weapons, bounties, accessories and a Prison Heist mode among other complimentary add-ons. The 10 in 12 initiative's tenth and final drop is now live.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

Ok, guys, I need your help.

My father wants to get a CHEAP (important) laptop. The main use of said laptop will be to connect it to a TV and watch some stream videos and occasionally take it to other rooms to do some web browsing, etc.

Now, the thing is that I know next to nothing about laptop hardware and don't know what's better or more capable of doing the streaming thing without problems. So far, we have two candidates, choosen by price and the fact that have 8GB of RAM (most in that price range have 4 or even 2GB!), and both from HP:

• HP 15-BS517NS features an Intel Celeron N3060, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 1TB HDD and Win10
  • HP 15-BW040NS has an AMD A6-9220, 8GB DDR4-1866, the same 1TB HDD and Win10

Which one is "better"?

Also, coming back home I've gone to a second hand store I know (I've bought there several things through the years and the only problem I got was a scratched Xbox360 for which I got a refund) and I've seen two laptops that could also be good options:

• The first one is an ASUS X556U that has an Intel i7-6500U, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 1TB HDD and Win10 )and costs the same as the AMD powered one)
  • The other isn't really a laptop but a 2 in 1 from Fujitsu, the Q736 that has an Intel i5-6xxx series (don't know if the 6200U or 6300U), 8GB DDR3L-1600 and a 128GB SSD, plus Win10 Pro.

I should note that the Fujitsu one is surprising because I've seen it new for more than 1,000€, but the price at the store is 280€, and that makes me wonder if there's something wrong with it or if it's so cheap because the ones on the store don't know its real value.

So, what do you think? The used ones are better, but are they worth it or it's better to go with one of the new ones even if they're worse?

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

My father wants to get a CHEAP (important) laptop. The main use of said laptop will be to connect it to a TV and watch some stream videos and occasionally take it to other rooms to do some web browsing, etc.

Now, the thing is that I know next to nothing about laptop hardware and don't know what's better or more capable of doing the streaming thing without problems. So far, we have two candidates, choosen by price and the fact that have 8GB of RAM (most in that price range have 4 or even 2GB!), and both from HP:

• HP 15-BS517NS features an Intel Celeron N3060, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 1TB HDD and Win10

Which one is "better"?

They both have their Pro's and Cons.

I actually sent back my Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 with the AMD A6-9220e and got a full refund, so I have some experience with the Stony Ridge chips.
Performance wise, it left much to be desired, but was also running 900mhz slower on the base clock than the plain 9220.

The big issue though is if you are hoping to do any light gaming, that single channel DDR4-1866 is going to be a massive hindrance.

In short... The A6-9220 should beat the Celeron thanks to it's much higher clockrates, it's video decode is also far far far far superior to Intels solution.
Sadly... And as hard as I tried, couldn't overclock my 9220e, even after trying to find the PLL.

Just make sure the laptop is an A6-9220 and not the A6-9220e.

The Celeron on the other hand should be able to get longer battery life.

JEMC said:

Also, coming back home I've gone to a second hand store I know (I've bought there several things through the years and the only problem I got was a scratched Xbox360 for which I got a refund) and I've seen two laptops that could also be good options:

• The first one is an ASUS X556U that has an Intel i7-6500U, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 1TB HDD and Win10 )and costs the same as the AMD powered one)
  • The other isn't really a laptop but a 2 in 1 from Fujitsu, the Q736 that has an Intel i5-6xxx series (don't know if the 6200U or 6300U), 8GB DDR3L-1600 and a 128GB SSD, plus Win10 Pro.

I should note that the Fujitsu one is surprising because I've seen it new for more than 1,000€, but the price at the store is 280€, and that makes me wonder if there's something wrong with it or if it's so cheap because the ones on the store don't know its real value.

So, what do you think? The used ones are better, but are they worth it or it's better to go with one of the new ones even if they're worse?

The Core ix 6xxx series is probably being discounted so heavily because they are a few years old.
I would personally opt for a 2 in 1.

But... It really depends on what you want. The i7/i5 would probably get less battery life than the Celeron/A6, but it's CPU performance would obliterate the other devices.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

Which one is "better"?

They both have their Pro's and Cons.

I actually sent back my Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 with the AMD A6-9220e and got a full refund, so I have some experience with the Stony Ridge chips.
Performance wise, it left much to be desired, but was also running 900mhz slower on the base clock than the plain 9220.

The big issue though is if you are hoping to do any light gaming, that single channel DDR4-1866 is going to be a massive hindrance.

In short... The A6-9220 should beat the Celeron thanks to it's much higher clockrates, it's video decode is also far far far far superior to Intels solution.
Sadly... And as hard as I tried, couldn't overclock my 9220e, even after trying to find the PLL.

Just make sure the laptop is an A6-9220 and not the A6-9220e.

The Celeron on the other hand should be able to get longer battery life.

JEMC said:

The Core ix 6xxx series is probably being discounted so heavily because they are a few years old.
I would personally opt for a 2 in 1.

But... It really depends on what you want. The i7/i5 would probably get less battery life than the Celeron/A6, but it's CPU performance would obliterate the other devices.

Thanks for the answers, and for your new mod position.

As I said, it's for my father so it will not be used for gaming, at all. Movie playback and watching videos on streaming will be its main use, as well as some web browsing. I doubt he'll take it outside, so battery life isn't really important.

Also, the two laptops (including the 2 in 1) are so cheap because they're used, not because they're discontinued.

JEMC said:

and for your new mod position.

Cheers!
I just hope people don't back off from getting into a debate with me. Haha

JEMC said:

As I said, it's for my father so it will not be used for gaming, at all. Movie playback and watching videos on streaming will be its main use, as well as some web browsing. I doubt he'll take it outside, so battery life isn't really important.

Also, the two laptops (including the 2 in 1) are so cheap because they're used, not because they're discontinued.

I would go with the AMD A6 then if that's the case.
The others being second hand probably means warranty might be an issue if you do have a hardware fault later?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
JEMC said:

I would go with the AMD A6 then if that's the case.
The others being second hand probably means warranty might be an issue if you do have a hardware fault later?

By law, they have to give a 1 year warranty. But it will be harder to convince my fater to get an used one instead of a new one .

Wednesday Thursday (I don't even know which day I'm living in...) news:

SALES & "SALES"/DEALS

GOG's daily deal is Death Road to Canada, 40% off: https://www.gog.com/game/death_road_to_canada

Steam's daily deal is the Early Access title Staxel, 25% off: https://store.steampowered.com/app/405710/Staxel/

At Fanatical, there are two deals:

SOFTWARE

-empty-

MODS/EMULATORS

The Nintendo Switch emulator, Ryujinx, runs Sonic Mania with more than 100fps
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-nintendo-switch-emulator-ryujinx-runs-sonic-mania-with-more-than-100fps/
The team behind one of the best Nintendo Switch emulators, Ryujinx, has released a new version that plays the recently released Sonic game, Sonic Mania. And while this is just a 2D Sonic game, it runs with more than 100fps in this open-source emulator.
In similar news, the team behind the other Nintendo Switch emulator, yuzu, has also announced that its emulator can run Sonic Mania.

>>So both teams went for Sonic Mania and had success at (almost) the same time? What a strange coincidence, right? What were they doing, a competition?

You know you want this mod that lets you ride giant ducks and chickens in Skyrim
https://www.pcgamer.com/you-know-you-want-this-mod-that-lets-you-ride-giant-ducks-and-chickens-in-skyrim/
Breaking news! The moment you've been waiting for since 2011, when Skyrim was first released, is finally here, and even if you didn't know you were waiting for that moment I think deep down you probably were. Thanks to the Ducks and Co. Mounts and Followers mod, you can now ride enormous ducks, chickens, pheasants, pigeons, and other large birds around in Skyrim.

XCOM 2 mods bring The Phantom Pain to the turn-based alien invasion
https://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-2-mods-bring-the-phantom-pain-to-the-turn-based-alien-invasion/
I inadvertently returned to XCOM 2 last week, after discovering this hilarious Red Dwarf voice pack mod. The work of prolific creator ∑3245 has since caught my eye—whose player-made Metal Gear-inspired additions to the turn-based alien invasion are great.
Over the last several weeks, ∑3245 has added Scout Uniforms, Enforcer and Battle Armours, a selection of Sneaking Suits, Snake's iconic bandana and eyepatch, and Haven Trooper armours—as first featured in Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, and the PS3's MGS 4: Guns of the Patriots and Metal Gear Online.

GAMING NEWS

Nordisk Film has acquired the developers of Just Cause and Mad Max, Avalanche Studios
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/nordisk-film-has-acquired-the-developers-of-just-cause-and-mad-max-avalanche-studios/
Nordisk Film has announced the acquisition of Avalanche Studios, creators of Just Cause theHunter and Mad Max. According to the team, Nordisk will obtain all shares and full ownership of Avalanche, its three studios and over 320 developers in the €89 million ($103 million) acquisition.

>>I had to double check it wasn't a typo, and that it was Nordic who bought them, but no, it's actually Nordisk.

First screenshots released for post-apocalyptic Battle Royale FPS, Fear of the Wolves
https://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/first-screenshots-released-for-post-apocalyptic-battle-royale-fps-fear-of-the-wolves/
Focus Home Interactive has released the first screenshots for the upcoming competitive Battle Royale FPS by the S.T.A.L.K.E.R veterans, Vostok Games, called Fear of the Wolves. The game drops players, in squads or as lone wolves, into the oppressive environments of a radiation-ravaged Chernobyl.

Thursday news, part two:

Fractured Lands is a Mad Max-style battle royale set to begin testing in June
https://www.pcgamer.com/fractured-lands-is-a-mad-max-style-battle-royale-set-to-begin-testing-in-june/
Fractured Lands looks like a cross between Fallout, Mad Max and PUBG: A battle royale set in a broken world of derelict buildings, mile-high sandstorms, and banged-up machines driven by leather-clad scavengers with nothing to lose. It's being developed by Unbroken Studios, an outfit made up of developers who previously worked on games from the Battlefield, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, and God of War series, and it's set to begin closed beta testing in June.

Atone is a lovely-looking puzzle game inspired by Norse mythology
https://www.pcgamer.com/atone-is-a-lovely-looking-puzzle-game-inspired-by-norse-mythology/
I've watched the trailer for Atone several times at this point, and apart from some UI elements, I haven't been able to find a single curved or even rounded line in it. It seems New Zealand-based developer Wildboy Studios wasn't kidding when they said it's done entirely in hand-drawn vector art. Here's what else I picked up on by poring over its announcement trailer: the art is good and the music is even better, so Atone is looking pretty promising altogether.

Black-and-white 2D action game Unworthy is out now and worth your time
https://www.pcgamer.com/black-and-white-2d-action-game-unworthy-is-out-now-and-worth-your-time/
Unworthy is a Metroidvania-style 2D action game whose grayscale world is dripping with death, decay and other wholesome things like that. Its surprisingly detailed levels and deceptively simple combat caught my eye last year, and now after a total of three years of work, solo developer Alekz Kuzmanovic has finally released it on Steam and GOG.

Microsoft denies Crackdown 3 delay
https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-denies-crackdown-3-delay/
It was reported on Reddit earlier today that Amazon Spain had canceled all preorders for Crackdown 3, the high-flying action game that was announced at E3 all the way back in 2014. That led to speculation that it was being delayed yet again, or possibly even canceled outright.
In response, Microsoft's general manager of games marketing Aaron Greenberg took to Twitter to reassure everyone that all is well, and the game is still coming.

Battle Princess Madelyn, the game co-created by a 7-year-old, has a new trailer
https://www.pcgamer.com/battle-princess-madelyn-the-game-co-created-by-a-7-year-old-has-a-new-trailer/
Last year, I spoke to Christopher Obritsch—the indie developer whose boss is his seven-year-old daughter. Battle Princess Madelyn is a retro sidescrolling Ghouls 'N Ghosts throwback that features fantastical worlds, towering boss battles, and young Maddi Obritsch in its star role.
It's now got an extended gameplay trailer with an animated intro sequence, undead armies, a barrage of throwing knives, a cute dog ghost companion, and level one's end-of-stage nemesis. That is one big skeleton.

Elite Dangerous: Beyond—Chapter Two release date set
https://www.pcgamer.com/elite-dangerous-beyond-chapter-two-release-date-set/
In the wake of its spaceport-stroming Thargoid invasion last year, Elite Dangerous rolled out Beyond—the first part of the online space 'em up's third season. Now, Beyond Chapter Two has a launch date: June 28.

I played some Overwatch yesterday, and I ended up feeling a bit motion sick. I don't know how much of that was from withdrawals of me forgetting to take my meds, or if it was something that would have occurred either way, but I do think that 'll have to adjust to the joltiness of using mouselook over an analogue stick.

^Your meds? Is that a joke or are you really under treatment?