By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo closing online services for Wii this June

Nintendo sure seem eager to close services for their last console that is still outselling their new console. I think it's to soon but idc personally.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Around the Network
Soleron said:
When you buy an online-enabled game or console, there needs to be a guaranteed minimum server time listed on the product so people can make informed choices.

I find it strange they'd end support for 100m units of hardware before the successor's sold 4m.

6+ years not long enough? They didn't end support for the hardware. They ended support for the weather and news channels... things you've been able to get on tv for over half a century.

The shop channel, the most important one, is still up.

Scratch that, the most important channel is the GAME DISC channel, and that will never be taken down, CAN never be taken down, because it has nothing to do with the internet.

i hope they close MK Wii servers, well at least ubtill Mk8 comes out

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Man, Nintendo really has trouble keeping their consoles alive.

Will the Wii channel that lets one transfer data to Wii U still work? I think that uses wi-fi as well.

Around the Network

This is quite overblown, and was already announced, it's only the peripheral channels, not the Shop Channel or WiFiConnection (which is a completely separate thing).

I have to wonder if WFC runs on the same infrastructure as the Nintendo Network. If i had to guess, it's still running on the Gamespy-derived back-end.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Soleron said:
When you buy an online-enabled game or console, there needs to be a guaranteed minimum server time listed on the product so people can make informed choices.

I find it strange they'd end support for 100m units of hardware before the successor's sold 4m.

Strongly agree.

Personally, I don't care about this particular case as my Wii, along with my PSP, belongs to my pirate past and I've barely connected it to the Internet anyway (btw, my new, totally-non-pirate self(*) isn't retroactive). That said, the lack of consumer rights regarding digital content is really worrying.

I bought a PS3 and a Vita last year, and decided to go digital-only since. The reason? Even full-priced games are much cheaper than physical copies where I live (using an American PSN account). I've spent so much money on PS Store already, and the other day I read this:

*** IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ***

You can no longer download new content from the Comics Store.

(...) You can use Media Go to back up your comics - find out more at mediago.sony.com.

http://uk.playstation.com/playstationcomics/

Translating: "Hey y'all. This shit isn't working out for us, so fuck you!" -Sony

This time, it didn't affect me. But after watching the E3, the new consoles being completely isolated from current-gen with no backward compatibility, I can't help myself but think that eventually, they will do the same to all the downloadable content available on their old platforms. Then, I will only have paid for a bunch of fucking files sentenced to remain in a dead box until they get damaged or deleted...

And right now, there's nothing we can do against stuff like this! Let alone the possibility of handing over or reselling the digital content we own. It's crazy...

*Only applicable to video games. Different content like films, movies, e-books and TV shows may still will most definitely be pirated by Naninho.

Soleron said:

Its Ninty, not surprising at all, at least to me. I just want to play GE i dont want to have to buy it on PS3, but i probably will end up doing so anyway.

Soleron said:

Those services are probably barely used by anyone .

This doesn't affect the games, browser, netflix, etc.

Although I am not familiar with the services and these kind of 'side' services probably wouldn't interest me I do think it's rather soon or the wrong time to stop everything besides your store and browser. (right?)
There are 100 million wii's out there and they are still selling 5 million units a year. Now that we've had the Xboxone debacle, this could turn out bad publicity for Nintendo.

It tells buyers Nintendo will not support their consoles for very long, which makes it less attractive to buy the concessor. Certainly when it is already having a hard time.